Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Processing times for I-130 for spouses of GCs?

Wikiposts

Processing times for I-130 for spouses of GCs?

Old Mar 19th 2006, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

tijbedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Processing times for I-130 for spouses of GCs?

Any ideas when will the american consulate start processing F2A cases back with the speed they were processing them 3 months ago?

Our date is April 22, 2002 current is March 01, 2002... How much longer?

Thanks
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Processing times for I-130 for spouses of GCs?

Originally Posted by tijbedi
Any ideas when will the american consulate start processing F2A cases back with the speed they were processing them 3 months ago?

Our date is April 22, 2002 current is March 01, 2002... How much longer?

Thanks
Hi:

This will be an educated statement of "I don't know."

Except for Mexico, the CURRENT FB-2A is 22Feb2002. It will advance to 01Mar2002 in April.

I would suggest that you might read the text of the Visa Bulletins. The State Department archives them at http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_1770.html

The Visa Bulletin for March 2006 [e.g. the last one, not the current one], stated that its anticipated that the Family categories should be advancing at pretty much the same rate. However, the April 2006 bulletin notes that demand in certain categories [not FB-2A] will cause a retrogression.

The Visa Bulletin gives cut-off dates. However, the bulletin gives a brief sypnopsis of how those dates are arrived at -- the cutoff dates are determined by the number of visas available under the law combined with the number of people ahead of line.

I often use the analogy of a line for a movie -- if the theater has 100 seats for a movie two hours long, person #100 for the 7:00 pm show will get into the movie two hours before person #101 who got in line just two minutes later.

However, to complicate matters, as persons #98, 99 & 100 are approaching the door, four people arrive with earlier "line times" -- there will be a retrogression. If those four people had arrived AFTER 98, 99 & 100 got in the door, they would be in the "front" of the line for the 9:00 pm show.

The last paragraph is for the purpose of showing the effect of CIS "adjustments" in the United States. Under the Immigration & Nationality Act, the visa allocation system was set up with the idea that MOST immigrants would obtain immigrant visas abroad with a small number obtain adjustment. This is no longer true. Furthermore, the way the adjustment system is designed [by Congress -- don't blame DHS/State on this one], an adjustment can't even be filed until there is visa availablity. Hence, you have those people getting in line at a later time with an earlier place in line.

What now often happens, is that the 2001 adjustment filings are NOW hitting the visa availablity. So this demand can often cause the slowing down of priority date cut-off.

Further warning -- the allocations are "front-loaded" for the government fiscal year [October 1 to September 30]. So by law, there are fewer visas available in the Fourth Quarter [July, August, September] -- historically, this causes a slowdown also.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

tijbedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Processing times for I-130 for spouses of GCs?

Looks like you are very familiar with the Lingo in the Visa Bulletin. I have tried reading it and I seldom understand what it says. If you have read the latest by any chance do you know if its going to be back to speed soon. They have been slow of a while now. Until last october they were running 2 months in 1 month.

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

This will be an educated statement of "I don't know."

Except for Mexico, the CURRENT FB-2A is 22Feb2002. It will advance to 01Mar2002 in April.

I would suggest that you might read the text of the Visa Bulletins. The State Department archives them at http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_1770.html

The Visa Bulletin for March 2006 [e.g. the last one, not the current one], stated that its anticipated that the Family categories should be advancing at pretty much the same rate. However, the April 2006 bulletin notes that demand in certain categories [not FB-2A] will cause a retrogression.

The Visa Bulletin gives cut-off dates. However, the bulletin gives a brief sypnopsis of how those dates are arrived at -- the cutoff dates are determined by the number of visas available under the law combined with the number of people ahead of line.

I often use the analogy of a line for a movie -- if the theater has 100 seats for a movie two hours long, person #100 for the 7:00 pm show will get into the movie two hours before person #101 who got in line just two minutes later.

However, to complicate matters, as persons #98, 99 & 100 are approaching the door, four people arrive with earlier "line times" -- there will be a retrogression. If those four people had arrived AFTER 98, 99 & 100 got in the door, they would be in the "front" of the line for the 9:00 pm show.

The last paragraph is for the purpose of showing the effect of CIS "adjustments" in the United States. Under the Immigration & Nationality Act, the visa allocation system was set up with the idea that MOST immigrants would obtain immigrant visas abroad with a small number obtain adjustment. This is no longer true. Furthermore, the way the adjustment system is designed [by Congress -- don't blame DHS/State on this one], an adjustment can't even be filed until there is visa availablity. Hence, you have those people getting in line at a later time with an earlier place in line.

What now often happens, is that the 2001 adjustment filings are NOW hitting the visa availablity. So this demand can often cause the slowing down of priority date cut-off.

Further warning -- the allocations are "front-loaded" for the government fiscal year [October 1 to September 30]. So by law, there are fewer visas available in the Fourth Quarter [July, August, September] -- historically, this causes a slowdown also.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Processing times for I-130 for spouses of GCs?

Originally Posted by tijbedi
Looks like you are very familiar with the Lingo in the Visa Bulletin. I have tried reading it and I seldom understand what it says. If you have read the latest by any chance do you know if its going to be back to speed soon. They have been slow of a while now. Until last october they were running 2 months in 1 month.
Hi:

The reason I'm somewhat fluent in the "lingo" is that there was litigation in the early 80's and one of the cases was mine. So I have retained an interest.

This may sound weird, but you want USCIS to get extremely INefficient on completion of FB-2A adjustments. When ever a pending FB-2A adjustment older than the cut-off is approved, that is one less visa number available for people with PD's newer than cut-off date.

Bottom line -- I have no idea how quick they will move. Any crystal ball in this is quike murky.