Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Processing delay at London Embassy

Wikiposts

Processing delay at London Embassy

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:01 am
Just Joined

jcbr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Processing delay at London Embassy

Hello all,
I'm currently going through the process of getting an O-1 non-resident visa.

After an interview in March, I was asked to supply some more paperwork. I submitted this paperwork, and my passport, to the embassy at the start of July.

I've not heard anything from the embassy since then. Their estimated processing time is 10-15 days, so I'm getting a bit concerned and frustrated.

I was given an email address to contact, but the automated acknowledgement of my request for information stated they don't respond to any queries until an application is pending for at least 90 days.

Does anyone else have experience with processing taking much longer than expected? Any other avenues I can pursue to get some information, and maybe even hurry things along a little?

Thanks!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Processing delay at London Embassy

OK, I just received a reply to my request for information, and it states my application is subject to extra processing as:
The officer who reviewed your application had reason to believe that information made available at the time of the interview may not have been available to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at the time the petition was approved
Has anyone else had this experience?

Personally, I'm concerned that it seems to be calling into question the validity of the original petition! Nothing changed between petition approval and interview, and everything was above board before and after so I don't know what they're looking at..
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcbr
OK, I just received a reply to my request for information, and it states my application is subject to extra processing as:

Has anyone else had this experience?

Personally, I'm concerned that it seems to be calling into question the validity of the original petition! Nothing changed between petition approval and interview, and everything was above board before and after so I don't know what they're looking at..
You should be concerned. That lingo is typical before the Consulate sends the petition back to the US.
You should get hold of the lawyers ASAP.

Extra processing would be called 'additional administrative processing' or variations.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Ah, I should have included more of their response: they open with:
Your application is subject to additional administrative processing. The consular officer...
So, maybe not without hope yet... All I can do now is wait and see I suppose!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about this relative to employment petitions, but you might want to contact your lawyers anyway. In family based cases, getting the petition returned is not a good sign at all.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcbr
All I can do now is wait and see I suppose!
No, that's not all you can do... get hold of an attorney who can find out what's going on *BEFORE* your application gets sent back to the US.

Administrative processing can take a week or two, or months... or years (which is not as uncommon as you would think).

Ian