Process order?

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:02 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 55
bluefox is on a distinguished road
Default Process order?

Hi

As I am about to finally file all my paperwork for AOS etc, would you be able to give me an idea of the order in which things should happen?

1. Send to Chicago lockbox

Then what can i expect to receive (and do) from that point on?

Thanks for your help.
bluefox is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:41 am
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,687
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by bluefox
Hi

As I am about to finally file all my paperwork for AOS etc, would you be able to give me an idea of the order in which things should happen?

1. Send to Chicago lockbox

Then what can i expect to receive (and do) from that point on?

Thanks for your help.
1. Send to Chicago lockbox
2. Wait for Notice of Actions (NOAs). One of each...AOS, EAD, AP.
3. Depending on what the NOA instructs you to do, get biometrics taken for AOS and EAD. You'll either be told to call an 800 number to schedule an appointment or be told you'll receive an appointment letter in the mail.
4. After biometrics, you'll receive the EAD and the AP in the mail.
5. Eventually you'll be called to your local office the your AOS interview.

How's that? lol
Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:17 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 55
bluefox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
1. Send to Chicago lockbox
2. Wait for Notice of Actions (NOAs). One of each...AOS, EAD, AP.
3. Depending on what the NOA instructs you to do, get biometrics taken for AOS and EAD. You'll either be told to call an 800 number to schedule an appointment or be told you'll receive an appointment letter in the mail.
4. After biometrics, you'll receive the EAD and the AP in the mail.
5. Eventually you'll be called to your local office the your AOS interview.

How's that? lol
Rene
Thanks again Rene! You're a star!

Will I receive NOAs for each of the forms: I-130, I-131, I-864, I-485, I-765 ?

Will i receive each NOA separately?
How long will it take to receive them?
Am I looking for a bright yellow envelope like the Oz immigration people do?

Are biometrics done at the local office?

Will there be long periods of time when i hear and receive nothing at all?

Bet you are glad you answered my initial question now!

I appreciate your help.
thanks.
bluefox is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:26 am
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by bluefox
Will I receive NOAs for each of the forms: I-130, I-131, I-864, I-485, I-765?
Maybe. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.


Will i receive each NOA separately?
Maybe. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.


How long will it take to receive them?
Anywhere between a week and a year.


Are biometrics done at the local office?
Sometimes.


Will there be long periods of time when i hear and receive nothing at all?
Yes.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:33 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 55
bluefox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Maybe. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.



Maybe. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.



Anywhere between a week and a year.



Sometimes.



Yes.

Ian



I wasnt joking about the style of envelope - mail seems to go astray ALOT when you live in a condo - the mail man sometimes has problems getting the right mail box.

I just want to make sure I dont miss out on anything - should I (or my neighbours) be looking for a particular type of mail or envelope?

thks
bluefox is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:17 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,687
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by bluefox
Will I receive NOAs for each of the forms: I-130, I-131, I-864, I-485, I-765 ?
Definitely not the I-864. You should receive separate NOAs for the I-485, i-131, and I-765. Probably one for the I-130 as well, but we didn't need that form for ours, so not sure. Some people report not receiving their NOA, but for the most part, you will get one.

Will i receive each NOA separately?
Probably. We did. But I've heard of others who got them in the same envelope.

How long will it take to receive them?
I'd say an average time frame is a couple weeks to several weeks.

Am I looking for a bright yellow envelope like the Oz immigration people do?
Ours came in plain white envelopes, return address of USCIS.

Are biometrics done at the local office?
Usually, biometrics are done at a separate office called an ASC office, in your local area. Not the main immigration building. Although for some, there is no ASC office and the appointment is at the main building.

Will there be long periods of time when i hear and receive nothing at all?
That's quite possible. Don't freak out if several weeks go by with no communication from USCIS. (I predict your next question to be...then when can I start freaking out? LOL)

Best Wishes,
Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:20 am
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,687
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by bluefox
I wasnt joking about the style of envelope - mail seems to go astray ALOT when you live in a condo - the mail man sometimes has problems getting the right mail box.
thks
I live in a condo, too. On the inside of my mailbox, where the carrier will see it, I taped a small white paper with the names of all the people who receive mail at my address (me, my husband, and my dad). Try doing that, it might help the carrier remember your name and match up the mail properly.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:24 am
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,687
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by bluefox
Will there be long periods of time when i hear and receive nothing at all?
I appreciate your help.
thanks.
Once you get your NOAs with case numbers on them, you can go to www.uscis.gov and create an on-line tracking porfolio. Set it up for all three NOAs, and automatic email notification. That way, if something happens on your case, you'll get an email that tells you a little in advance if you've been approved for EAD or AP, and when it was mailed out to you. It's not 100% reliable, but it's helpful when it works. Although frustrating when it doesn't work...sometimes you dont' get notified, even if something is happening. Which is still nice, cause then it's a surprise in the mail! LOL

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:15 am
  #9  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by bluefox
I just want to make sure I dont miss out on anything - should I (or my neighbours) be looking for a particular type of mail or envelope?

thks
Yes. Watch for the ones that say DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY in the top left corner.
meauxna is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:26 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 55
bluefox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Once you get your NOAs with case numbers on them, you can go to www.uscis.gov and create an on-line tracking porfolio. Set it up for all three NOAs, and automatic email notification. That way, if something happens on your case, you'll get an email that tells you a little in advance if you've been approved for EAD or AP, and when it was mailed out to you. It's not 100% reliable, but it's helpful when it works. Although frustrating when it doesn't work...sometimes you dont' get notified, even if something is happening. Which is still nice, cause then it's a surprise in the mail! LOL

Rene

Thanks Rene

You are making me feel ALOT more comfortable with this whole process!

I will try not to panic (well, not too soon!).

With the mailbox, it does have our names on the inside of it, but we still end up with other peoples mail - even when its a totally wrong address (which is pretty scary!). I am so concerned about losing a really vital piece of mail.

Hopefully everything will be fine and smooth!

thanks again, i appreciate your help.

(im sure il have more questions veeeerrrrry soon!)
bluefox is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:06 pm
  #11  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by bluefox
Thanks Rene

You are making me feel ALOT more comfortable with this whole process!

I will try not to panic (well, not too soon!).

With the mailbox, it does have our names on the inside of it, but we still end up with other peoples mail - even when its a totally wrong address (which is pretty scary!). I am so concerned about losing a really vital piece of mail.

Hopefully everything will be fine and smooth!

thanks again, i appreciate your help.

(im sure il have more questions veeeerrrrry soon!)
One idea that is worth considering: rent a mailbox somewhere. Either the post office or a mail drop center. This keeps your neighbors out of your very personal and important mail AND may prove a more reliable delivery setup than you currently have. If you move, you will not have to change your mailing address (big hassle).
meauxna is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:45 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 55
bluefox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by meauxna
One idea that is worth considering: rent a mailbox somewhere. Either the post office or a mail drop center. This keeps your neighbors out of your very personal and important mail AND may prove a more reliable delivery setup than you currently have. If you move, you will not have to change your mailing address (big hassle).


Is it really possible to do this? It would solve the problem for sure!!

I cannot find a space on any of the forms where we could enter our home address, and then a different mailbox number where we want mail to be sent?
bluefox is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:08 pm
  #13  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,687
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by bluefox
Is it really possible to do this? It would solve the problem for sure!!

I cannot find a space on any of the forms where we could enter our home address, and then a different mailbox number where we want mail to be sent?
Yes, this is possible. (meauxna, why didn't I think of this?! lol) If the form asks for "address" use the PO Box. If it asks for "mailing address" use the PO Box. If it asks for "physical address" use your actual street address.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:35 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 55
bluefox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Process order?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, this is possible. (meauxna, why didn't I think of this?! lol) If the form asks for "address" use the PO Box. If it asks for "mailing address" use the PO Box. If it asks for "physical address" use your actual street address.

Rene
Hi Rene

Looking at the forms I am filing, they request the following address info:

I-130 - Asks for address
I-131 - Asks for address
I-485 - Asks for address
I-765 - Asks for address
I-864 - Asks for mailing address & place of residence if different from mailing.

It seems strange that i would be able to put a mailbox address for ALL of these forms? Surely USCIS wants to know where I am actually living - the only form which allows for a mailing and residential address is the I-864.

Is it really ok to use a mail box address?

Is there anyone out there who has done it? Its a great idea, but I dont want to do the wrong thing.
bluefox is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 4:02 am
  #15  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,687
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process order?

Hi bluefox,

I'm looking at the forms we filled out.

The I-485 has two lines: one says "Address-C/O". This is where I"d write your PO Box address. The line below it asks for "Street Number and Name". This is where I'd write your physical address. We didn't use a PO Box, but if we had, that's how I would have filled it out. That way they know both your physical location and your "care of" address.

Looking at the I-765 and I-131, I see it does ask for street number and name. I'm not sure how to solve that one. But I do know folks have used PO Boxes successfully. Hopefully one of them will chime in.

On your cover letter, perhaps you could list your PO Box for all correspondence. I'm not sure how well they read the cover letters, though.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.