Process Engineer

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

aishgk90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Process Engineer

Hi,

I live in Chicago and my family live in England. My brother is interested in working here. Can anyone advise on how he could get a company to sponsor him for a work visa? A lot of the jobs state that he must already be legally eligible to work in t he US without sponsorship. He is a process engineer.

Thank you,
Aish
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process Engineer

Originally Posted by aishgk90
Hi,

I live in Chicago and my family live in England. My brother is interested in working here. Can anyone advise on how he could get a company to sponsor him for a work visa? A lot of the jobs state that he must already be legally eligible to work in t he US without sponsorship. He is a process engineer.

Thank you,
Aish
Hi, welcome to BE. I’ve moved your thread to our US visas section where you’ll get great help.

This Wiki article is a good place to start - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

HTH.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 11:43 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If he does not already work for an employer that can sponsor him, then his only option is really a H1B. As you have surmised, it is not easy to get a company to be willing to spend many thousands of $$$ on one person, and to wait for them to get a visa to be able to start work.

The H1B is oversubscribed, and only about 1 in 3 applicants actually get the visa every year. Applications are in April for an October start, although I believe they opened early this year and are basically done for 2020.

As CO said above, this link states the different ways in which one can get a visa for the US:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

The other obvious way is for you as the Brother to sponsor him if you are a US Citizen. The sooner the better though, because the wait will probably be close to 15 years and is only getting longer.

Last edited by civilservant; Mar 23rd 2020 at 11:45 am.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:37 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long wait for sponsorship.
My co worker sponsored his brother, iirc it was an 11 year wait 6 years ago.