Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Priority date current? Not anymore :(

Priority date current? Not anymore :(

Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:41 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Priority date current? Not anymore :(

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Oh and about renewing the H1B indefinately sorry but thats a NO (and that was from the Lawyers mouth) trust me that was the first question I asked, silly me hey, I thought it would be OK about the GC because I honestly thought the same thing, but that hope was squashed pretty damn quickly.
was my first reaction. My second was "do I care".
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and about renewing the H1B indefinately sorry but thats a NO (and that was from the Lawyers mouth) trust me that was the first question I asked, silly me hey, I thought it would be OK about the GC because I honestly thought the same thing, but that hope was squashed pretty damn quickly.
We were lead to believe that once you have your I-140 approved you could file an extention on your H1B for another 3 years, but again I'm sorry but they keep changing the rules on us so please check with your Lawyer as each person's case is different.
Uh-oh well that must have been a recent change then, or they are the bleeding liars I always thought that they were. We've already renewed for the three year bit and that will be up in May 08. Did your lawyers recently tell you this? What category are you if you dont mind me asking
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
My impression is that you can renew H1B's indefinately at the moment.
Who knows what will happen in October.
As I said before they should start calling it the Golden Card.
Or 'The Rarer then Hens Teeth " card.
Or 'The is it bloody worth it" card.
I dont think they truly exist. Like the ark of the covenant or atlantis.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:57 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

To Adnams
were were attempting to get the EB3 we started the process in June last year but my Lawyer is supposed to be sending me a letter explaining whats happening with us and why its all gone down the toilet, so as you can guess I'm waiting by the post box biting my nails. She did tell me "things might change" but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

To Adnams
were were attempting to get the EB3 we started the process in June last year but my Lawyer is supposed to be sending me a letter explaining whats happening with us and why its all gone down the toilet, so as you can guess I'm waiting by the post box biting my nails. She did tell me "things might change" but I'm not holding my breath.
Oh dear you poor things. Well we started five years ago if thats any consolation for you. OH EB3 too. We will have been here 6 years next May and that'll be the two three year stints up - we will have to go home next year if we cant renew annually. I have just e-mailed our lawyers asking them for an update on your info. How long have you been here then?
I am sorry that you have to go, if thats not what you want.
Sometimes I wish we had to go and then I just look at all the implications financially that would mean and know it would really put us up s h i t creek.

Last edited by Adnams; Jul 11th 2007 at 1:02 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Adnams
Oh dear you poor things. Well we started five years ago if thats any consolation for you. OH EB3 too. We will have been here 6 years next May and that'll be the two three year stints up - we will have to go home next year if we cant renew annually. I have just e-mailed our lawyers asking them for an update on your info. How long have you been here then?
I am sorry that you have to go, if thats not what you want.
Sometimes I wish we had to go and then I just look at all the implications financially that would mean and know it would really put us up s h i t creek.
lisag8070 do you have your i-140 approved yet???
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:16 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
It would be very hard financially for us to go back, unless there is a massive change in the exchange rate.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jumping doris
It would be very hard financially for us to go back, unless there is a massive change in the exchange rate.
Tell me about it! I keep praying that the pound will go through the floor, then I'd have a case for returning to pitch to the OH!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:24 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

God your situation sounds so like ours its spooky, I can't believe you've been in the process for 5 years damn that doesn't make me feel good (sorry) anyway this is what we were told...
If your started the process of your LC you could get a rolling H1B which means you could extend your H1B year by year (even after 6 yrs)
If you got your I-140 approved you could extend your H1B for a further 3 years (even after your 6 yrs are up).
What I'm trying to do is get a straight answer from my Lawyer, hence the reason why I'm waiting for her letter, I don't even know where we are in the process I don't even know if we have our LC or have the I-140 aprroved. what a god damn mess, and all I want is a straight answer and why we've paid so much money just to be told we have to go home at the end of the year..
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

God your situation sounds so like ours its spooky, I can't believe you've been in the process for 5 years damn that doesn't make me feel good (sorry) anyway this is what we were told...
If your started the process of your LC you could get a rolling H1B which means you could extend your H1B year by year (even after 6 yrs)
If you got your I-140 approved you could extend your H1B for a further 3 years (even after your 6 yrs are up).
What I'm trying to do is get a straight answer from my Lawyer, hence the reason why I'm waiting for her letter, I don't even know where we are in the process I don't even know if we have our LC or have the I-140 aprroved. what a god damn mess, and all I want is a straight answer and why we've paid so much money just to be told we have to go home at the end of the year..
Lordy you sound like youre having a mare of it! You would know if you have the LC and I-140 as its the part that means you can move into 485 / ead processing. I am sure they would have told you of this.
We have our i-140 cert so from what youre saying we should be able to renew for another 3 years.
I would seek alternative advice from another lawyer, a consultation doesnt cost much. We did it and found out a lot of depressing stuff but thats another story.
As far as I understand it your h1b lasts 3 years and then you can renew for another three, have you already been here six?
I really wish you the best of luck, but seek that alternative advice - it may be really worth it.
I think half of the problem we all have is the uncertaintity and total lack of communication from these darn lawyers - its like the really dont give a toss.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

If you started the process then surely that would be the application for the labour certification? So all may not be lost yet!
Fingers crossed for you!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:38 am
Last orders please...

Your right, we are trying to find another immigration Lawyer just for a second opinion if nothing else but first I want my lawyer to tell us where we are in the process so I'll at least have some information to tell the other Lawyer, and yes we'll have been here 6 yrs in Dec. Bloody Lawyers, they're quick to take your money though thats for sure.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Your right, we are trying to find another immigration Lawyer just for a second opinion if nothing else but first I want my lawyer to tell us where we are in the process so I'll at least have some information to tell the other Lawyer, and yes we'll have been here 6 yrs in Dec. Bloody Lawyers, they're quick to take your money though thats for sure.
Nightmare for you. They sound like tossers, why do you have to wait for a letter? Cant they tell you over the phone? Also you should have copies of all your filings to take to the other lawyer so get those - which they should have given you at every stage.
Which state are you in?? We used a guy who used to be the head of the USA Immigration lawyers society for our second opnion and it was a real eye opener. We're in CT.
I wanted OH's company to move legal firms but he wouldnt rock the boat at the time, mores the pity. I guess we're lucky because OH's firm pays all the fee's thank god.
Do you want to go home?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:56 am
Last orders please...

Do I want to go home, now thats a question.. its a yes on most days and no on the others, I kinda like our life here we have a beautiful house (one that would cost the earth in england) but was really cheap here in North Carolina my daughter is 5 and has already done a year at school here she's grown up here (but born in England) we came over when she was a few months old. But saying that I still miss home, all our family is there and even though we've lived here for a while we still haven't made any really good US friends all our friends seem to be other English or Europeans, I miss the food and definately the social scene and the fact that I could walk to the corner shop and get a bottle of milk in under 5 mins instead of it taking me 1 hour in the car! I'm really not bothered if we go back at least I'll know where I stand in Manchester.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Do I want to go home, now thats a question.. its a yes on most days and no on the others, I kinda like our life here we have a beautiful house (one that would cost the earth in england) but was really cheap here in North Carolina my daughter is 5 and has already done a year at school here she's grown up here (but born in England) we came over when she was a few months old. But saying that I still miss home, all our family is there and even though we've lived here for a while we still haven't made any really good US friends all our friends seem to be other English or Europeans, I miss the food and definately the social scene and the fact that I could walk to the corner shop and get a bottle of milk in under 5 mins instead of it taking me 1 hour in the car! I'm really not bothered if we go back at least I'll know where I stand in Manchester.
I couldnt have put it better myself. Its a mixed bag of emotions isnt it? I soooo miss corner shops and pubs and friends. Like you most of my friends are either other Brits or Euro's. Cant seem to truly click with Americans, lovely people, friendly and all that but somehow you cant bond.
Good luck with that letter. Could you OH transfer to UK and then come back in on a L1 at all? Its a long shot maybe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.