Preventing problems at POE

Old Jul 16th 2015, 7:30 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

ScottUK1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Preventing problems at POE

Hi all,

I'm currently just starting the UK side of the K1 visa process (submitted DS-160) and before I do the rest I'm visiting my fiancee in the US (on Saturday).

I've seen a few threads regarding travelling whilst mid-visa process and it sounds like there shouldn't be any problems, I just wanted to check if anyone had any advice or things to avoid saying.

Obviously I'm going to say I'm there visiting my fiancee (if asked) and I'll inform them that I'm mid-way through the visa process. I've also got official headed letters from my employer and place of study (both are the same institution), and details of my return flight (in a months time) as proof of intent to return. I've also got a history of three years worth of short visits (<3 weeks).
Do you think there's any reason for them to throw a wobbly about this?

Cheers!

Last edited by ScottUK1990; Jul 16th 2015 at 7:31 pm. Reason: correction
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preventing problems at POE

Nope!

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Rene
Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:52 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Thanks Rene and Boiler. Just wanted to check I'd covered my bases.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 2:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As per the others, it looks like you have the bases covered.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 3:14 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Arrived in the USA - no problems whatsoever at immigration.

CBP Officer: What brings you to America?
Me: Visiting my fiancee
CBP Officer: But what BRINGS you to America?
Me: Erm...my fiancee...
CBP Officer: No, an aeroplane bought you to America, 'stamp', off you go.

He was obviously bored...
Old Jul 19th 2015, 3:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990
Arrived in the USA - no problems whatsoever at immigration.

CBP Officer: What brings you to America?
Me: Visiting my fiancee
CBP Officer: But what BRINGS you to America?
Me: Erm...my fiancee...
CBP Officer: No, an aeroplane bought you to America, 'stamp', off you go.

As Ian usually advises, "answer the question asked, nothing more nothing less."

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 19th 2015 at 3:30 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990
Perhaps, but neither time did you actually answer the question as asked. You assumed he meant something other than what he plainly said.

Ian
Old Jul 19th 2015, 5:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As Ian usually advises, "answer the question asked, nothing more nothing less."
But the question was asked in the wrong tense. He was already in America so the word brings was wrong, it should have been brought.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
But the question was asked in the wrong tense. He was already in America so the word brings was wrong, it should have been brought. .....
I suspect that questioning the CBP officer's grammar would be even worse than making a smart ärse reply.

Overall, handling CBP officers is most definitely an art, not a science.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 6:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that questioning the CBP officer's grammar would be even worse than making a smart ärse reply.

Overall, handling CBP officers is most definitely an art, not a science.
I agree, but the use of the word brings implies to me the reason is still to happen, it's present or future tense. So in that case he did answer the question asked, he didn't answer the question the CBP officer thought he was asking.