Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions

Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions

Old Jul 23rd 2021, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

selig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions

I thought I'd add something to this conversation as it has helped me.

The previous comments about being able to use a NIE to get an expedited appointment had given me hope that we could make progress with our move (O1 + O3 Visas). The attorney dealing with my case didn't think it would work but I wanted to give it a go. Yesterday I messaged the US consulate to ask them whether it was possible and they said that I could enter reasons for needing an NIE in the expedited appointment request form. I did that this afternoon and got a response within two hours that moved my February 2022 appointment to the end of August 2021.

I had a strong case for NIE working in cybersecurity for critical infrastructure and entered a very carefully structured and evidenced case into the 500-word box on the request form. I also have a strong letter from my employer that I will take to my appointment detailing the material impact of my being absent from the US and the urgency of the appointment (including deadlines of projects I will be working on). My actual request for a NIE still needs to be checked at the appointment so there's a chance I can still fall at the last hurdle.

I thought this information would be useful to others getting information from this thread as I have been for the past month.

My inference (i.e. guess) is that they are keeping appointments for travel that cannot get an NIE in the medium-term future until the travel ban goes away.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions

That is super interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by selig View Post

The previous comments about being able to use a NIE to get an expedited appointment had given me hope that we could make progress with our move (O1 + O3 Visas). The attorney dealing with my case didn't think it would work but I wanted to give it a go. Yesterday I messaged the US consulate to ask them whether it was possible and they said that I could enter reasons for needing an NIE in the expedited appointment request form. I did that this afternoon and got a response within two hours that moved my February 2022 appointment to the end of August 2021.

I had a strong case for NIE working in cybersecurity for critical infrastructure and entered a very carefully structured and evidenced case into the 500-word box on the request form. I also have a strong letter from my employer that I will take to my appointment detailing the material impact of my being absent from the US and the urgency of the appointment (including deadlines of projects I will be working on). My actual request for a NIE still needs to be checked at the appointment so there's a chance I can still fall at the last hurdle.

I thought this information would be useful to others getting information from this thread as I have been for the past month.

My inference (i.e. guess) is that they are keeping appointments for travel that cannot get an NIE in the medium-term future until the travel ban goes away.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi Selig,

Was your interview in August successful? Im facing a similar thing where my NIE still needs to be checked at the appointment which for me is October. Curious if you got through ok.

Christian

Originally Posted by selig View Post

Old Sep 17th 2021, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

selig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond reputeselig has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reminder to give an update. The short answer is yes. We're flying out to the US on 4th October and are currently going through a lot of admin and packing.

The longer answer is that the interview was a bit of an anticlimax. I wasn't sure what to expect but I had assumed that I would be asked some specific questions about the NIE and asked to provide the letter I'd obtained from my employer. However, the questions were quite high-level. Below I provide a bit more detail on what the interview process involved as I would have found this level of description useful myself. My inference here is that they'd already done all of the checks before we turned up and were happy so it was just a brief confirmation.

Our appointment time was 9am. I was attending with my two small children and wife although it was unclear whether the children really needed to be there (becomes relevant later). We arrived at the embassy at about 8:30 and it was about 9 by the time we'd gone through the security at the front gate and gone up to the nonimmigrant area. We were first asked to wait in one area and after about 20 minutes I was called to a window where they checked my I-797B and all of our passports. They took my fingerprints and my wife's fingerprints and asked some routine questions about us. We then had to go wait in a different area for the 'interview'. By this time my kids were getting rather noisy. There were about 15 people in front of us and I estimated we had about a 90-minute wait. But after about 10 minutes of loud crying from my 18-month kid a member of staff came and asked our number and we were seen next. The interview itself consisted of about four questions that were roughly (i) what do you currently do as a job, (ii) what are you going to be doing in the US, (iii) why are you 'extraordinary (I'm going on an O1 visa) and (iv) do we have travel booked. I had a large folder of paperwork (petition, certificates etc) but he never asked to see any of that. Throughout this my kids were screaming so maybe he went faster than usual. At the end he said that my visa was denied pending NIE approval (e.g. he couldn't issue the Visa without the NIE) but he was recommending me for NIE and that he doesn't keep the passports of people he didn't think would get a Visa and we left. Two days later we received an email saying that our passports had been dispatched and they arrived (with Visas and NIE annotation included) the next working day (after the bank holiday weekend).
Old Sep 17th 2021, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for the detailed information. Gives me some clarity on how it works.

And so, for the avoidance of doubt, within a few days after the interview you were in a position to be allowed travel?

A big unanswered question for me is, assuming I am successful in my interview, how quickly will the process move and Ill be in a position to actually travel (days vs weeks vs months).
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

The passports arrived 6 days after the interview, although we had paid the extra to have them sent straight to us. I think I recall it saying somewhere that it would be at most 10 working days.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

My appointment is October 13th and I was told my visa would not be issued unless my NIE was successful which will be reviewed at the embassy that day. Does anyone know if the newly announced travel rules means an end to the NIE? Or will I still have to include that in the process on Oct 13th?
Old Sep 27th 2021, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Itwillrain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tariqbutt View Post
My appointment is October 13th and I was told my visa would not be issued unless my NIE was successful which will be reviewed at the embassy that day. Does anyone know if the newly announced travel rules means an end to the NIE? Or will I still have to include that in the process on Oct 13th?
Seems like my situation is similar. My appointment is also in Oct (but it is not NIE visa appointment). I was also told by lawyers that because of travel restrictions, my visa could be rejected. Lawyers commented on this before the travel ban was lifted. I asked them if the situation has changed after the travel ban was lifted. They said, we have to see how this pans out. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will go ahead.