Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions

Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions

Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions

Originally Posted by tariqbutt
My research is in healthcare and the team I will be joining in the US has work directly linked to covid. My new boss looked at the requirements and thinks a case can be made (we have not asked the legal team yet, nor studied the requirements in detail).

OK.... just noticed that back in August 2020 you were asking about a visa for your (then) girlfriend - you might have got married by now.
You DO know that if you get the H-1B your wife (if now married) will get an H-4 - and she won't be able to work ?
Old Jul 9th 2021, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Presidential Proclamation on UK travel and National Interest Exceptions

Thank you yes I am aware of that and will be discussing that with the legal team.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you yes I am aware of that and will be discussing that with the legal team.
Another thing to just double check with them is that they definitely submitted the application before the deadline - you mention 6th July but I thought the deadline was 30th June (hence my confusion), although could well have that wrong!

Best of luck with your move, whatever visa it's under and whenever it happens.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you well spotted. On double checking the receipt I can see it says 06/29/2021 that it was was received.
6 July is the date on the return receipt from USCIS.

I will try to speak to the legal team in the next few weeks, but if anyone has any guidance on when in the process the NIE will be necessary for either the L1B or the H1B that would be great. I guess I just want to know at what stage in the process Ill need to prepare it.

Old Jul 10th 2021, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Following the announcement a few days ago that all national interest exceptions issued by the embassy are valid for 12 months and multiple entries, does this only apply to waivers issued after this change or can one from last December now be used up until this coming December ? I cant seem to find an answer to this on the USCIS site
Old Jul 13th 2021, 6:19 am
Just Joined

scolley82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
Following the announcement a few days ago that all national interest exceptions issued by the embassy are valid for 12 months and multiple entries, does this only apply to waivers issued after this change or can one from last December now be used up until this coming December ? I cant seem to find an answer to this on the USCIS site
I'm currently waiting for a flight to the USA doing exactly this. My waiver was issued August last year but my companies attorney assured me that I could use the same waiver as it's valid for 12 months.

As for the NIE, I'm under the impression it is part of your visa interview at the consulate. The only reason you would be able to get an NIE with your H1B visa at the moment is if you get an expedited appointment before the current dates for non-immigrant visa interviews which are around Feb/Mar next year. If they grant you the expedited appointment then I'm pretty sure that they will do the NIE as part of that process.

I'm not a lawyer/attorney, just relaying the advice that's been given to me.

Good luck with your travels and I'll let you guys know how I get on.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

FroggyFrog is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the US Embassy in Paris yesterday.
NIE are valid for 12 months from their issuance date and it is retroactive - Confirmed by the US Consular Officer I had an appointment with.

Old Jul 13th 2021, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

I submitted my NIE request to the U.S. Embassy in London on 24 June. They replied today - 13 July - with the following. It is incredible that it took so long for them to reply with such a trivial information given that it took 3-4 business days in Jan, Feb and Mar.

Thank you for your email.

All National Interest Exceptions (NIE) are now valid for 12 months and multiple entries as long as you are traveling for the same purpose for which you originally received an NIE. If you have received a previous NIE in the past 12 months, it will remain valid until one year after its original approval date. You do not need to apply for a new NIE until your original exception expires. If you have applied for and received multiple NIE's, the 12 months is from your most recent approval. The determination of your eligibility for admission to the United States will be made by U.S. Custom and Border Protection (CBP) officials.

The U.S. Embassy cannot provide an official letter stating that you are excepted from a travel restriction or reissue your approval letter. You should check the date of your NIE on your original approval email. If you obtained an NIE through your visa issuance and your visa indicates you are not subject to the Presidential Proclamations, your approval date will be from the date on the slip of paper you received with your visa.

Please note, if you have a valid visa or ESTA, the determination of your eligibility for admission to the United States will be made by U.S. Custom and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the Port of Entry. No assurances regarding admission can be given in advance as all travelers are required to establish their eligibility for admission and are subject to questioning.

Information about the status of ESTA registrations at this time is provided through the only official ESTA website. If your ESTA was cancelled but you fall under one of the exceptions identified in the Presidential Proclamation, please refer to the Travel Proclamation Help on the ESTA website for guidance.

If you travel, please follow the steps below:
  • Do not attempt to check in for your flight online if you have an ESTA registration.
  • Arrive early for your flight.
  • Carry any documentation that you believe demonstrates why you have been excepted from a travel restriction, such as a Permanent Resident card (commonly known as a Green Card), a marriage certificate, or a birth certificate, so that it is available if it is requested for review.
  • You may also wish to carry a copy of the Presidential Proclamation itself.
  • Your status will be reviewed in consultation with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials. Please note that smaller airports may not have CBP officials on site.
  • If applicable in your case, your ESTA will be reinstated in order to allow you to board.

A valid NIE does not except you from observing U.S. government regulations related to COVID-19, including quarantine regulations and mandatory covid testing. If you have questions about these regulations, please review both the CDC website and the website of the Department of Health for the state to which you are traveling.

We are not able to extend NIE's further than the 12 month validity. If you do not travel before your NIE expires, you will need to wait until your NIE expires and then reapply. Please note that, due to a high volume of requests, we may not be able to process your additional application in time for your desired travel. Therefore we strongly encourage you to travel before the expiration date if at all possible.
Sincerely,

Chief, Consular Information Unit

U.S. Embassy, London

CONS/CIU/VJ
Old Jul 14th 2021, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destone
Have your NIE approved and then there’s no wait at all. If not, 12 months delay sounds about right.
I have a couple of basic questions about NIEs
  • Is the purpose of the NIE so that people already with visas can travel/fly? Or is it about getting the visa appointment? Or both? Is there somewhere on the official website where this is made more clear? A friend of mine who got an NIE said he already had his visa and the NIE was simply so he could fly from the UK. However the above quoted text makes me think the NIE is about getting the visa appointment.
  • Where is the official webpage/resource detailing the application process for an NIE? I cant seem to find this.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of basic questions about NIEs
  • Is the purpose of the NIE so that people already with visas can travel/fly? Or is it about getting the visa appointment? Or both? Is there somewhere on the official website where this is made more clear? A friend of mine who got an NIE said he already had his visa and the NIE was simply so he could fly from the UK. However the above quoted text makes me think the NIE is about getting the visa appointment.
  • Where is the official webpage/resource detailing the application process for an NIE? I cant seem to find this.
The NIE is an exemption to whatever restrictions may be in place - at the moment, that's the travel ban for those coming from the UK (and other countries listed in the presidential proclamation). It doesn't help with getting a visa appointment, but it's just so your can travel once the visa is granted. Hopefully by the time you do get your visa, the travel ban will have been lifted anyway, so it might not be relevant for you.

And if you're applying for a visa, then the NIE application will be done as part of that. This webpage may be useful - https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-v...d-travel-faqs/

HTH.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
at the moment, that's the travel ban for those coming from the UK (and other countries listed in the presidential proclamation)
Ok got it. However I thought that travel ban wasn't a big deal. Isn't that easily avoidable by flying to a 3rd country for 2 weeks? I thought the much bigger issue was "the backlog" which I understand to be getting the embassy appointment and getting the visa issued?

This comment below however makes it sound like the NIE is related to the visa backlog.
Have your NIE approved and then there’s no wait at all. If not, 12 months delay sounds about right.

Last edited by tariqbutt; Jul 14th 2021 at 11:49 am.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 11:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok got it. However I thpought that travel ban wasnt a big deal. Isnt that easily avoidable by flying to a 3rd country for 2 weeks? I thought the much bigger issue was "the backlog" which I understand to be getting the embassy apointment and getting the visa issued?
Yes to both. The NIE is only for those that don't want to/can't afford to/don't have time to go via a third country once they've got their visa. It's not anything to do with speeding up getting a visa appointment, for that you need to ask for an expedited appointment.

HTH.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Great thank you. So just to confirm in your opinion is the below comment inaccurate? Its the suggestion below that has been confusing me throughout this.

Sounds like it will be 12 months delay no matter what I do?
(Both H1B and L1B)
Old Jul 14th 2021, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

And this comment as well suggests NIE is to do with expediting the visa process

Originally Posted by civilservant
Your behind many many many applications that were filed during COVID that have not been processed due to not being granted NIEs.

If you don't get an NIE yourself, 12 months seems reasonable. It could also be longer than that. No one really knows.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 12:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

And this comment as well suggests NIE is to do with expediting the visa process
A National Interest Exemption is an exemption for one of the presidential proclamations, it's not for queue jumping the backlog. Previously one could apply for an NIE to the work visa ban/proclamation that was in place until 31st March, but that's been lifted now, that's perhaps what those comments are referring to though.

At least that's my understanding, and what we've been told by lawyers (and see the link I gave you above which explains it further). My husband qualifies for an NIE as he works in critical infrastructure, but that still doesn't help us with getting a visa quicker, it'll just help us travel when we do get one, if the travel ban is still in place by then.

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.