Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Preparing for Naturalization Interview - Selective Service Question...

Preparing for Naturalization Interview - Selective Service Question...

Old May 27th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

MMA2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Preparing for Naturalization Interview - Selective Service Question...

Hi everyone - I'm having an issue remembering this one...

Mahir came with a J1 visa in 1999 (he was 23) and stayed until 2002 (he was 25) and then was out of the country and just had a tourist visa until May 2004 when he returned (age 28) on his K1 visa. He had his green card before his 29th birthday...

From what I'm reading he does not need to register for Selective Service or need to worry about anything to do with Selective Service because he was "in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26" (as taken from form M-477)...

Is that correct?

I'm just paranoid that I'm missing something here....

THANKS!

Allison
Old May 27th 2008, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Preparing for Naturalization Interview - Selective Service Question...

Originally Posted by MMA2002
Hi everyone - I'm having an issue remembering this one...

Mahir came with a J1 visa in 1999 (he was 23) and stayed until 2002 (he was 25) and then was out of the country and just had a tourist visa until May 2004 when he returned (age 28) on his K1 visa. He had his green card before his 29th birthday...

From what I'm reading he does not need to register for Selective Service or need to worry about anything to do with Selective Service because he was "in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26" (as taken from form M-477)...

Is that correct?

I'm just paranoid that I'm missing something here....

THANKS!

Allison
Hi:

You have it correct. The thing that you are missing is failure to register is considered a lack of good moral character, one cannot register once they reach 26 years old, and needs three years of GMC. In other words, it is a non-issue really.