Potential move to the USA

Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

englishsaint is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move to the USA

Hi, Im 18 years of age living in the north west of England. My Dad is ex British Army and currently lives in the US. He is a fully trained police officer and has been living there for the past 4-5 years with his wife who is originally from the US. How easy would it be for me to become a US citizen if I decided to live with them? Could i have a dual nationality? Also how long would the whole process take?
Thanks for any reply? Im new to this forum so would appreciate all the help.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move to the USA

Originally Posted by englishsaint
Hi, Im 18 years of age living in the north west of England. My Dad is ex British Army and currently lives in the US. He is a fully trained police officer and has been living there for the past 4-5 years with his wife who is originally from the US. How easy would it be for me to become a US citizen if I decided to live with them? Could i have a dual nationality? Also how long would the whole process take?
Thanks for any reply? Im new to this forum so would appreciate all the help.
How old were you (exactly) on the date your UKC dad married his USC wife?

Is your Dad a USC yet? Or is he still a US Permanent Resident (i.e., has his green card)?

You might have a way in via your USC stepmother, if you were under 16 when they got married.

You'd still have a way in via your USC or US PR father, but depending on his status in the USA, might take a bit longer than via your stepmother.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Is your Dad a USC yet? Or is he still a US Permanent Resident (i.e., has his green card)?

You might have a way in via your USC stepmother, if you were under 16 when they got married.

You'd still have a way in via your USC or US PR father, but depending on his status in the USA, might take a bit longer than via your stepmother.

Rene
I must have been around 3-4 years of age when they married, a long time ago! I don't know exactly if my Dad is US Citizen or just Permanent Resident, I have never asked. I just presumed he was a US citizen as he had to stay in the country for a number of years.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Rene
The age is 18, if that makes a difference to the OP

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bul...etin_5674.html

*Edit* OP answered the question already.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishsaint
I must have been around 3-4 years of age when they married, a long time ago! I don't know exactly if my Dad is US Citizen or just Permanent Resident, I have never asked. I just presumed he was a US citizen as he had to stay in the country for a number of years.
Hmmmm, now I'm not so sure.

I don't see a category for "children of US citizens" on the Visa Bulletin, here: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bul...etin_5674.html

"Sons and Daughters" doesn't apply to you because you're under 21.

If your Dad is still a US PR, he can file an I-130 for you in category F2A, which has a backlog of about 3 years right now.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Hmmmm, now I'm not so sure.

I don't see a category for "children of US citizens" on the Visa Bulletin, here: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bul...etin_5674.html

"Sons and Daughters" doesn't apply to you because you're under 21.

If your Dad is still a US PR, he can file an I-130 for you in category F2A, which has a backlog of about 3 years right now.

Rene
Ok thanks. I will have to find out if he is a US Citizen, as i said i always presumed he was. Thanks for your help
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't see a category for "children of US citizens" on the Visa Bulletin
Isn't that because children of USCs are immediate relatives and therefore have no limit on visa numbers?

James
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by JSL8610
Isn't that because children of USCs are immediate relatives and therefore have no limit on visa numbers?

James
Good point.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

OP, to answer your original questions:

If your dad is now a USC, he could file an I-130 for you today and you'd probably have your immigrant visa in hand in 8-10 months. If he's a PR, you'll have to wait about 3 years. When you use the immigrant visa to enter the US, you'll become a Permanent Resident and be sent your Green Card. Five years after becoming a PR you can apply for citizenship, assuming you meet a few conditions.

Assuming you're from the UK, you will hold dual UK & US citizenship. Some countries don't allow dual citizenship.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd do it before you turn 21 too.

Regards,
James

Last edited by JSL8610; Mar 20th 2012 at 9:36 am.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSL8610
If your dad is now a USC, he could file an I-130 for you today and you'd probably have your immigrant visa in hand in 8-10 months. If he's a PR, you'll have to wait about 3 years.
Just to add: if his stepmother is a USC, she can also file today and he'd get a visa within 8-10 months.

Indeed, both of them could file separately for him - that's perfectly legal and allowed. He can act on whichever one gets processed first.

Ian