Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to transition from an O-1 or P-1 visa to permanent residence status?

Is it possible to transition from an O-1 or P-1 visa to permanent residence status?

Old Aug 15th 2016, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Flatflo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible to transition from an O-1 or P-1 visa to permanent residence status?

Hello all,

I'm 18 years old and a British citizen. I was wondering whether I could obtain an O-1 or P-1 visa in the future for Muay Thai. I currently hold an undefeated record and have the prospect of fighting professionally in New Zealand and Thailand in the near future, and could potentially even be representing an internationally renowned fight team. So I'll have fought in at least three countries in three different continents... Would this be enough fore me to be considered for either of those visa types?

And finally, is it possible to transition from the O-1 or P-1 visa to permanent resident status? If so, how would one go about doing this?
Old Aug 15th 2016, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to transition from an O-1 or P-1 visa to permanent residence statu

I cant answer most of your questions just the last one - yes P-1 and O-1 whilst they don't specifically state they are dual intent, you can adjust to PR from either status.

I don't know how with a P-1 but O-1 can sponsor themselves through EB-1A using a petition called the I-140 and the second document/process known as I-485. The progression may be get P-1 first, then as you become more experienced apply for O-1 then apply for PR.

You'd need to speak to an immigration attorney who could advise on how and what you'd need to apply for a P-1. Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 8:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to transition from an O-1 or P-1 visa to permanent residence statu

Is it "possible", probably yes.

Is fighting in three different countries that happen to be far apart, sufficient? Personally I doubt it. Maybe when you have titles/ belts/ championships, etc. you'll be in a better position.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flatflo
I was wondering whether I could obtain an O-1 or P-1 visa in the future for Muay Thai.
You lose nothing by trying, but yes - you can certainly apply.

I currently hold an undefeated record...
By itself, this won't help you. Once you have demonstrated competence at a national or international level and can document that competence you'll be in a much better position to get an O or P visa.

... is it possible to transition from the O-1 or P-1 visa to permanent resident status?
Yes... anything is possible.

If so, how would one go about doing this?
With respect, I suggest you worry about this in 5 or so years from now when it might become relevant. Right now, it's irrelevant... because it's not yet in your future. Why? Because you don't likely qualify for a visa... yet.

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2016, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I started with O-1 then actually switched to H-1B to ease the process of transition to PR. This was to avoid certain restrictions on travel during the adjustment period, something you need to consider. In short, achieving PR via O-1 is doable if you can handle the restrictions.

Getting the O-1 was not a walk in the park. I definitely recommend an experienced attorney to weave a convincing portfolio of evidence.

My transition to H-1B was work-based and sponsored by my employer. I'm not clear you'd be able to do that.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Flatflo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for the replies everyone! Some very useful information here which I'll definitely take into account. I appreciate it.