Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it possible for a British 18 year old to move to the USA?

Is it possible for a British 18 year old to move to the USA?

Old Aug 16th 2016, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Flatflo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible for a British 18 year old to move to the USA?

Hello everyone,

I've already asked a question regarding O-1 and P-1 visas and was very satisfied with the answers; this is a follow up question of sorts...

A little background information: I am an 18 year old British citizen with a desire to live in the USA, for personal reasons. I'm wondering what the best/easiest way (if any exist) is for me to move to the USA on any kind of non-immigrant visa, excluding tourist visas, and then potentially transition to PR status in the future if at all possible.

I am pursuing a professional career in Muay Thai, hence why I asked about O and P visas. However I am not currently at a stage where I'd be successful in applying for either of those visa types and unless I can sustain my current level of performance in the ring for a good five years more and be blessed by a stroke of good fortune I'm unlikely to ever qualify for a P or O visa.

I'm therefore led to believe that the only way may be for me to study as an international student. However my grades are average at best and I don't have any particular interest in any academic subjects besides Philosophy and English, and those are quite unlikely to lead to any substantial employment post-graduation or so I'm told. Furthermore, my plan had been to devote my life to Muay Thai as opposed to academia however I am willing to make a compromise and put Muay Thai on the back-burner for a few years. This may be more realistic anyway since Muay Thai really is a poor man's sport and I'm very unlikely to ever be able to make a comfortable living from it even if I were to perform well on its biggest stage.

So then, which subjects are most likely to lead to an H1-B visa post-graduation? It should be noted that I have studied, and do have qualifications in, Economics and Psychology and I believe they'd make more realistic degrees than English and Philosophy; though I'm personally far more inclined towards the latter two. Personal interests aside, would a better option in relation to my goal of obtaining an H1-B visa be to study a STEM subject?

Finally, have I missed anything? Are there any other paths I could take which may allow me to qualify for temporary residence, subsequently leading to permanent residence?

Further information which may (but probably won't) be of relevance: I have a Canadian uncle (perhaps if I were to somehow achieve Canadian citizenship first, it'd grant me more opportunities in the US; though I doubt having a Canadian uncle would do much towards me becoming Canadian).

To summarise/Tl;dr:
- I'm 18 years old, male, British, and would like to move to the USA on any kind of non-immigrant visa (excluding tourist visas), with the goal of potentially achieving PR status in mind.
- I am willing to study and while personally inclined towards English and Philosophy, would be willing to study a more realistic/useable degree if it meant I would be more likely to be able to receive an H1-B visa post-graduation.
- I already have experience in both Economics and Psychology so would either of those be a better choice than English or Philosophy? Or would a STEM subject be better? Or perhaps something entirety different?
- Are there any other ways to obtain temporary (and subsequent permanent) residence without studying or already possessing a degree?
- Would being a Canadian citizen change my circumstances? If so, can having a Canadian uncle help me achieve Canadian citizenship?

I apologise for having so many questions, it's just that my personal research seems to have hit a dead end. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!
Old Aug 16th 2016, 2:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible for a British 18 year old to move to the USA?

You appear a little desperate. Trying to organize you life around an obsession with relocating to the US is almost certainly going to be an exercise in frustration and disappointment.

Do what you enjoy in life, or at least what can earn you a living, and if you have an opportunity to immigrate to the US in a few years, or later in life, then great, grab that opportunity with both hands, but meanwhile move on with life because the chances are that you won't make it to the US.

I had similar high hopes of life in the US when I was younger, but it took me many years to get here, and while life is reasonably good for me now, it certain is not so great that it would be worth making "getting to the US" an obsession.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 16th 2016 at 2:30 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You appear a little desperate. Trying to organize you life around an obsession with relocating to the US is almost certainly going to be an exercise in frustration and disappointment.
I think that's an accurate assessment, yes. To be honest I am desperate because the love of my life (it mightn't seem like much coming from an 18 year old but I've known her for a year already and yes, I am in love) is moving there to study Medicine. Aside from that I had kind of been interested in the States but not to this degree. Frankly I just really don't want to have to break up with my girlfriend. But thank you for the reply, I guess you're right.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

If she is going on an F visa, then you could go as her dependent (f2) if you were married (she would have to prove she could support you, as you would be unable to work). Otherwise, you could get your own F1 visa. You say your grades are 'average', but I don't think you have to be an outstanding student to obtain an F1 visa of your own to study there - a bigger challenge is probably finding the money to pay international student fees. The Fulbright commission can advise you on studying in the US.

If she is studying medicine in the US then presumably she plans to stay there after she graduates (since a US medical degree probably won't entitle her to work as a doctor in the UK). So maybe you should focus on a long term plan to save, get a qualification that will help you obtain work in the US, and plan to marry and go over there on a spouse visa if the relationship lasts.

Last edited by NatashaB; Aug 16th 2016 at 2:51 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flatflo
I think that's an accurate assessment, yes. To be honest I am desperate because the love of my life (it mightn't seem like much coming from an 18 year old but I've known her for a year already and yes, I am in love) is moving there to study Medicine. Aside from that I had kind of been interested in the States but not to this degree. Frankly I just really don't want to have to break up with my girlfriend. But thank you for the reply, I guess you're right.
If she is the love of your life then the few years of long distance will be a good proving ground and will give you a good opportunity to learn excellent communication skills which will stand your relationship in good stead.
If it turns out she's not then you won't have dismantled your life chasing something not meant to be
Old Aug 16th 2016, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Without turning this into a lonely hearts column - I was 18 not all that long ago and if it really is "love" you'll be able to cope with the distance.

My fiancé is in the US and I'm in the UK and we've been together for a long time which like BubbleChog has said, has given us a great platform for our relationship and if anything it's made us stronger as a couple.

Don't go running down a path that you think will gain you entry into the US as it probably won't and then you've wasted time, potentially money and energy into something which is just going to leave you very disappointed.

Who knows, if you stay together and she somehow stays in the US and becomes a citizen one day you could then apply for a marriage visa.

You're only 18 - you've got a long life ahead of you!
Old Aug 16th 2016, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BenK91
Don't go running down a path that you think will gain you entry into the US as it probably won't and then you've wasted time, potentially money and energy into something which is just going to leave you very disappointed.

Who knows, if you stay together and she somehow stays in the US and becomes a citizen one day you could then apply for a marriage visa.
Yeah, I think this is probably the best course of action to take. It's just that it'd probably take her over 10 years or something to become a citizen and that seems like an awfully long time to be in a long distance relationship for. In the meantime I could visit her and go to university to get a degree which would be useful if whether we stay together or not.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 5:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't have to become a citizen in order for you to join her at some point; however, you would have to be married.

Let her go to the USA, and after some time apart, you guys can discuss whether you want to stay together or break up, and if it's "stay together" then you can discuss marriage.

Rene
Old Aug 16th 2016, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am willing to make a compromise and put Muay Thai on the back-burner for a few years.
Bad idea! Don't compromise your life.

Personal interests aside, would a better option in relation to my goal of obtaining an H1-B visa be to study a STEM subject?
Another bad idea. Don't ever study just because you think there may be a chance of a visa at the end of it. Chances are, there won't be a visa at the end of things, you'll have just wasted 3-4 years of your life, and you'll end up hating the subject you're studying. Do what you love - and keep at it. If there's a visa in it for you in the future... great - but don't let the visa become the raison d'être for your actions!

As I've said many times before - when people are desperate, they tend to make very poor decisions... such as the ones you're now contemplating!

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2016, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

A little background information: I am an 18 year old British citizen with a desire to live in the USA, for personal reasons. I'm wondering what the best/easiest way (if any exist) is for me to move to the USA on any kind of non-immigrant visa, excluding tourist visas, and then potentially transition to PR status in the future if at all possible.
I wonder what has changed over the years?
I was 17 when I came to the United States.
I decided and came over after completing the medical sponsor thing. No problem.
Maybe its not that easy these days.
From what I understand, when I read the news, is that I may not be able to move back to the UK due to some proposed changes affecting UK citizens wanting to return.

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 16th 2016 at 6:31 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 6:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
.... From what I understand, when I read the news, is that I may not be able to move back to the UK due to some proposed changes affecting UK citizens wanting to return.
Huh?

Unless you have been fighting for ISIS/ISIL/Daesh, as a British citizen you can go/return to live in the UK any time you want. You don't need to "apply" or give notice, or even tell the immigrants offocer at the port/airport that you are staying not visiting. Just travel to Britain, find somewhere to live, and start working (or not if you're retired or have investment income). It's that simple IF you are a British citizen.

In other words, for a British citizen, living in the UK is, aside from the exception I mentioned above, an inalienable right, and I don't see any way that could be changed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 16th 2016 at 6:26 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

May be cheers is referring to difficulties bringing USC spouse back due to the conditions for a spouse visa to the UK?
Old Aug 16th 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
May be cheers is referring to difficulties bringing USC spouse back due to the conditions for a spouse visa to the UK?
If that's what he meant it certainly isn't what he said: ".... I may not be able to move back to the UK ..... " (Emphasis added).
Old Aug 16th 2016, 6:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I wonder what has changed over the years?
I was 17 when I came to the United States.
I decided and came over after completing the medical sponsor thing. No problem.
Maybe its not that easy these days.
From what I understand, when I read the news, is that I may not be able to move back to the UK due to some proposed changes affecting UK citizens wanting to return.
What is a "medical sponsor thing"?

Rene
Old Aug 16th 2016, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If that's what he meant it certainly isn't what he said: ".... I may not be able to move back to the UK ..... " (Emphasis added).
No I agree it's not what he wrote, but it read to me as "I may not be able to move back to the UK [with my wife] due to changes blah blah blah"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.