At the port of entry...

Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:34 am
Just Joined

JimBeam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default At the port of entry...

Here's the thing. I have received my immigrant visa. It expires in August.

I am visiting the States in July on vacation, but this won't be my permanent move. I need to come back first for a couple of months.

The lady at my interview said it would be fine and to just make the person aware at the POE.

I believe when I go over in July they will then send out my green card correct.

How long does this take?

Only when I DO return to the US to live permanently (Sep/Oct) the Visa in my passport will be expired. So will I need my green card on my person to gain entry?

Anyone had the same situation care to share experience.

Many thanks
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At the port of entry...

My green card took about six weeks to arrive. I am not sure why you'd need to "let the CBP officer know" because once you have used your visa, and triggered issuance of your green card, you are free to come and go, with or without your green card. If you don't have it yet when you return, just tell CBP that you haven't received it yet, and you may be sent for additional verification of the visa in the CBP office at the airport, but that is quite routine.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My green card took about six weeks to arrive. I am not sure why you'd need to "let the CBP officer know" because once you have used your visa, and triggered issuance of your green card, you are free to come and go, with or without your green card. If you don't have it yet when you return, just tell CBP that you haven't received it yet, and you may be sent for additional verification of the visa in the CBP office at the airport, but that is quite routine.
Brilliant. Thanks.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:34 am
Just Joined

One more thing. How long does it take when you enter for the first time on an immigrant visa?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimBeam
One more thing. How long does it take when you enter for the first time on an immigrant visa?
Mostly it depends on how many others are there immigrating at the same time. I arrived at Newark in the evening and the CBP office was almost deserted, so it took me about 20 minutes. If there happens to be a long queue it could take a couple of hours. It really is impossible to predict.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am visiting the States in July on vacation, but this won't be my permanent move. I need to come back first for a couple of months.

The lady at my interview said it would be fine and to just make the person aware at the POE.

I believe when I go over in July they will then send out my green card correct.

How long does this take?

Only when I DO return to the US to live permanently (Sep/Oct) the Visa in my passport will be expired. So will I need my green card on my person to gain entry?

Anyone had the same situation care to share experience.

Many thanks
When you arrive at the US POE with your Immigrant Visa in July, the visa will be endorsed with a notation which says it serves as a temporary I-551 (green card) for 1 year. So you can leave the USA and return within a couple of months, using the endorsed visa to show you are a US PR. Many people do this.

Your plastic green card should come in the mail to your US address within a month or so, as should your SS card.

I'd leave at least 2 hours to get through immigration. Might be less, but better to be on the safe side, especially if you have a connecting flight.

Rene
Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:17 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The lady was wrong, or at least misleading. If you were to enter as a visitor in July, and you wouldn't be coming to the USA for you "permanent move" "for a couple of months", you would indeed have a problem due to the expired visa.

However, look at your visa, in particular the notation in small print at the bottom just above the machine-readable lines of gibberish. Don't explain anything to CBP officer about your travel plans, just enter as an immigrant. The CBP officer will write the immigrant code of entry on the entry stamp adjacent to the visa. This will identify you as a Permanent Resident for up to 1 year while you wait for your green card to arrive.

Regards, JEff

Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Brilliant. Thanks.
Good reply but incomplete.

You must enter the US with your USC spouse at your side or they have to be already domiciled in the US.

Also your green card and perhaps your social security card will be delivered to whatever address you give to the agent at the POE. I suggest you use a family member or someone you trust implicitly to receive your mail and they can then courier the green card to you or hold it until you return to the US to set up your residency here. At the POE the second time you enter you tell them you don't physical have it with you and they will verify your status on the computer system.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

londondude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
You must enter the US with your USC spouse at your side or they have to be already domiciled in the US.
is that really the case? I couldn't find that requirement mentioned anywhere.

I was hoping to travel before my wife and have her join me a couple of weeks later.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londondude
is that really the case? I couldn't find that requirement mentioned anywhere.

I was hoping to travel before my wife and have her join me a couple of weeks later.
Yes, it really is the case.

If your wife isn't already in the US she needs to be traveling with you when you enter on your immigrant visa.

Of course, as soon as you are in the US your wife can immediately get on the next plane back to the UK and return a few months later if that is what you have planned ...
Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

londondude is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanks

good thing you guys are here
Old Jul 1st 2013, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

each POE is very different, Dublin it took me an hour to be processed, other cases I have read 5 minutes to 4 hours, so if you are making connecting flights, allow plenty of time!