Pool business

Old Aug 20th 2016, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Pool business

Hi all

Is it possible to purchase a pool business and get a visa to work and live in the US???
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool business

Originally Posted by Aqua
Is it possible to purchase a pool business and get a visa to work and live in the US?
Yes - so long as you're not trying to get a visa as a result of purchasing the pool business.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Research investment visas.

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

I guess what I meant to say was this:

I am thinking of purchasing a business in the US that will support a visa. The $1m investment route is not available to me, are their any other ways to make this work? such as owner financing ??
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
... are their any other ways to make this work? such as owner financing ??
I believe that for all investment visas, the money must be unsecured, unencumbered, and 100% at risk.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

An E-2 visa potentially works - but it truly is "the visa from hell" - doesn't lead anywhere, gives very little security, and when you sell the business, cease to be involved in the daily operations of the business, or it fails, you must leave the US, so not only is there no defined route to citizenship, or even permanent residence, there isn't even a route to retirement in the US.

Also pool businesses have a notoriously fickle customer base - often leaving in large numbers when they hear the business has been sold, and sometimes poached by an associate of the person selling the business who is given a list of customers to approach and spread gossip about ...... and your business, and your investment, disappears like smoke in the wind.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 21st 2016 at 2:20 am.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

gwensvilla is an unknown quantity at this point

E2 visas are being approved at investment levels of $70k plus..they look at investment, employees and that the profit/owner benefit is not marginal..though they allow for time for business development
But you will need backup finance of 1 year living expenses..renting property with no credit is one expensive hurdle,they may ask 6mth rent upfront add to that work and private vehicle to buy outright. (If not included in business purchase)Then usual living costs on top..
If you do not have funds to cover yourself for 6mth to a year don't even think about it..
E2 is not for the faint hearted..but totally do able...but remember you must realuse the criteria and that it is a NON immigrant visa..(even tho it isvrenewable )and kids will age out at 21 yrs.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:37 am
Just Joined

DMECI is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gwensvilla
E2 visas are being approved at investment levels of $70k plus..they look at investment, employees and that the profit/owner benefit is not marginal..though they allow for time for business development
But you will need backup finance of 1 year living expenses..renting property with no credit is one expensive hurdle,they may ask 6mth rent upfront add to that work and private vehicle to buy outright. (If not included in business purchase)Then usual living costs on top..
If you do not have funds to cover yourself for 6mth to a year don't even think about it..
E2 is not for the faint hearted..but totally do able...but remember you must realuse the criteria and that it is a NON immigrant visa..(even tho it isvrenewable )and kids will age out at 21 yrs.
Some good insight here - thanks - just wondered how you know about the $70k plus investments being approved (just curious as looking at the e2 route myself for a new start up) thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

I personally know 3 successful applicants who got 5 year visas on circa this amount. I also know 2 start ups around this amount..all in the last 24 months..2 of them in the last 8 months and I am following one at the moment on $60k...will update later (their appointment at the embassy in september. They just completed an rfe) and now have appointment.. I am aware of a start up on $35k who got a 2 year visa.
I am an e2 visa and I listen and look out for applications like a hawk..
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

I also know atleast 3 in the last year circa $100k to $110k.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

From submission of file to interview is currently 1 month!!! Has been as low as 2 to 3 weeks....not like mine which a few years ago took 13 weeks...
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:51 am
Just Joined

DMECI is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gwensvilla
I personally know 3 successful applicants who got 5 year visas on circa this amount. I also know 2 start ups around this amount..all in the last 24 months..2 of them in the last 8 months and I am following one at the moment on $60k...will update later (their appointment at the embassy in september. They just completed an rfe) and now have appointment.. I am aware of a start up on $35k who got a 2 year visa.
I am an e2 visa and I listen and look out for applications like a hawk..
Thats really good to know and reassuring as I believe I have a solid business plan and meet all the relevant criteria... but was unsure about the investment amount - so thank you
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

This is interesting, So glad that some one has more insight into the E2 visa criteria.

So what are the basic requirements that need to be met on say a $80K investment?

My business plan revolves around buying a Pool service company and building a retail business on that. We live in Canada and already have a successful online pool retail company plus vehicles we can take across.

forgot to say - I am in the process of setting up an LLC to start an US online business retailing pool and hot tub supplies

Last edited by Aqua; Aug 22nd 2016 at 3:44 pm. Reason: added content
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh the E2 visa - I have absolutely nothing good to say about it - the road to nowhere.
You will invest everything you have to stay in the country with nothing in return.
If you have children PLEASE consider this route very carefully.
The children age out at 21 and will have to leave the country.
We have spent the last 11 years on an E2 visa and have always had the constant dread and reminder over our heads that this is not permanent.
The out of the country visa renewals costing around $10 k each time.
I could go on and on and on and on......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.