Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Policy Change Reminder for VWP Visitors

Wikiposts

Policy Change Reminder for VWP Visitors

Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:12 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Policy Change Reminder for VWP Visitors

From October 26 this year all new passports or all renewed passports for visitors travelling from VWP countries will have to have the new style biometric passports.

The UK has announced that the system will not be set up in time and so all visitors will need a visa to enter.

If you have a valid passport that was issued before October this year and is the old style it is still valid for travel without a visa. When it comes up for renewal you will need the new style.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:10 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Policy Change Reminder for VWP Visitors

"sibsie" <member17406@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > From October 26 this year all new passports or all renewed passports for
    > visitors travelling from VWP countries will have to have the new style
    > biometric passports.

The US had to back down on the date for machine readable passports issue
already; they'll almost certainly have to back down on this requirement too.
Look for talk about waivers from this sometime next Summer.

The reality is that:

a) The number of travellers is too great to issue visas. The tourist
industry and foreign relations would just be hit too hard for this to be
politically viable.
b) There are no worldwide agreements on the implementation of biometric
information in passports and, until there is, countries are going to be
highly reluctant to implement them.

My guess is it will be a few years before this is reality.

As an aside I wonder what the issue will be for GC holders. Current I-551
cards have a fingerprint but I don't know if it's encoded in a way that
could be easily matched. So, if your passport didn't have the biometric
information but was supposed to, would you have to get an updated I-551?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination

Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:45 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is in talks to get the deadline changed. It was also reported on today's news that there is yet another new regulation that means passengers will not be allowed to queue for the toilets on flights once over American air space. Yes. Really! Watch out for Loo Rage.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:38 am
Andy Platt

On one flight I've been on the airline had this policy at the frontmost
toilet - which was right next to the cockpit. I could understand that a bit
more but all toilets would be a bit stupid. You are right about Loo Rage
though - just imagine walking down 20 rows only to have someone jump out and
get in front of you and you have to turn back. It didn't really work on the
flight I was on and I can't see it being improved if it was all toilets!

I can't find anything official about this new law though - perhaps it was
just proposed?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination
"sibsie" <member17406@british_expats.com> wrote in message
    > The UK is in talks to get the deadline changed. It was also reported on
    > today's news that there is yet another new regulation that means
    > passengers will not be allowed to queue for the toilets on flights once
    > over American air space. Yes. Really! Watch out for Loo Rage.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
The UK is in talks to get the deadline changed. It was also reported on today's news that there is yet another new regulation that means passengers will not be allowed to queue for the toilets on flights once over American air space. Yes. Really! Watch out for Loo Rage.
Yikes! That's crazy! Some flights could be over US Airspace for upwards of 3-8 hrs depending on destination! Is it that they don't want people to go to the toilet at all, or just not stand in line for them? Do they want people pissing in their seats!? This has got to be some kind of joke right?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:22 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Yikes! That's crazy! Some flights could be over US Airspace for upwards of 3-8 hrs depending on destination! Is it that they don't want people to go to the toilet at all, or just not stand in line for them? Do they want people pissing in their seats!? This has got to be some kind of joke right?

You could use the airsickness bag.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:33 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
Leslie,
Maybe *you* could, but I doubt I'm that agile.

~SG
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:36 am
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by Andy Platt
I can't find anything official about this new law though - perhaps it was just proposed?

Andy.
I'll ask my other half tonight what the airline policy is and if they've had any updates on it. Other than it being reported on British news I can't find anything either.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ewww..are the bags waterproof, or would they leak? And then you'd be stuck w/them until the next time a flight attendant walked by. LOL..don't want to visualize!

Oh! They could just make all passengers wear the same suits as astronauts - they have a built in compartment just for this very problem. heheehhe
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:37 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SecretGarden
Leslie,
Maybe *you* could, but I doubt I'm that agile.

~SG

Well you know, lots of yoga.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:39 am
WTF?

Ewww..are the bags waterproof, or would they leak? And then you'd be stuck w/them until the next time a flight attendant walked by. LOL..don't want to visualize!

Oh! They could just make all passengers wear the same suits as astronauts - they have a built in compartment just for this very problem. heheehhe

Maybe we should all just be strapped to toilets instead of regular seats for the entire flight.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:41 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the specifics about that but I can relate my own experience. When I was flying from Canada back to DC, they told us that (for security reasons), no one is allowed to stand up within 30 minutes before landing at Reagan National Airport. Did they say if it was a certain timespan prior to landing, or just over US airspace in general?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:43 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should all just be strapped to toilets instead of regular seats for the entire flight.
OMG!!! ROTFL!!!!

But...wouldn't that cause a lot of turbulence???
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:43 am
WTF?

Since they're made for puke I hope they would be waterproof.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:56 am
Observer

Wear diaper.

"sunflwrgrl13" <member16206@british_expats.com> wrote in message
    > Originally posted by Leslie66
    > > You could use the airsickness bag.
    > Ewww..are the bags waterproof, or would they leak? And then you'd be
    > stuck w/them until the next time a flight attendant walked by.
    > LOL..don't want to visualize!
    > Oh! They could just make all passengers wear the same suits as
    > astronauts - they have a built in compartment just for this very
    > problem. heheehhe
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.