Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:49 pm
Andrew DeFaria

Default Re: Police & Immigration Status

Rete wrote:

>> Its amusing because I was here for a good amount of time with NO
    >> proof of being here legally (ie a "visitor), and never had a hint of
    >> trouble, now that I'm actually approved, I get hassled. Sheesh, just
    >> my luck lol
    > LOL then stay outta the van, Andrea ;-)
    > Something is up in the city and I'm sure that you have noticed it as
    > well since you work down the street from me. Very unusual number of
    > uniforms in the area these days and especially unusual since the UN is
    > not in session. Gives me the shivers.

Perhaps they're "bracing" for the election.

--
Do Lipton Tea employees take coffee breaks?

Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:01 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
Quick question: I thought I had read it here once (maybe not here, but somewhere..?) that police officers are not allowed to ask your immigration status. Is this correct?
The reason I ask is that we got pulled over and vehicle searched this weekend (understandable, as we were driving a big van with no windows thru one of the tunnels which are supposedly heavily guarded). Anyway, the police asked for ID from everyone in the vehicle. When they saw my license with "temporary visitor" emblazoned across the top of it, they proceeded to ....
Hey there Andrea:

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience, I can't believe they grill you like that
((Andrea)) here is a huggie for ya!!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew DeFaria
Rete wrote:

Didn't see any of the trucks going through the Zion Tunnel
being even stopped. Guess it's not a popular terrorist target! :-)

--
What do people in China call their good plates?

Guess it isn't. But then I wouldn't have a clue since I don't even know where the Zion National Park is, what it is, or how popular it is ;-(

But don't suppose places like the Grand Cayon or Valley Fire or Bryce Canyon would be good terrorist targets. After all if a bomb went off in one of them the scenery wouldn't change much now would it.

However, seriously, as NYC had been a previous target and Wall Street is still considered the financial center and most intercepted coded messages have dealt with NYC targets, it is prudent to detain truckers or trucks that appear suspicious. We don't know what Andrea looks like or her hubby for that matter. Although trucks are not required to carry bombs. All you need as proven in Spain is a few briefcases.

Rete
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:43 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I got stopped by my local police a few weeks ago. I live in White Picket fence, small town America and we have a lot of police for a small population. We also have a zero, yes zero crime rate.

They did ask me what my legal status here was. I told them I was a K1 and briefly explained it. They asked for my SSN, wandered off to chat to the station on the radio. Can they confirm your legal status via your SSN? They weren't interested in seeing anything else, and I happened to have my entire AOS folder on me as I was on my way back from bios.

Have to say they were exceptionally nice. Mind you, every official I've met in the US so far has been totally lovely. Even immigration!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:04 pm
Andrew DeFaria

Rete wrote:

> Guess it isn't. But then I wouldn't have a clue since I don't even
    > know where the Zion National Park is, what it is, or how popular it is ;-(

Do you Google? http://www.nps.gov/zion/

> But don't suppose places like the Grand Cayon or Valley Fire or Bryce
    > Canyon would be good terrorist targets. After all if a bomb went off
    > in one of them the scenery wouldn't change much now would it.

Actually it would change quite a bit I would think. The difference is
that probably not that many people would be killed or buildings
destroyed compared to NY.

> However, seriously, as NYC had been a previous target and Wall Street
    > is still considered the financial center and most intercepted coded
    > messages have dealt with NYC targets, it is prudent to detain truckers
    > or trucks that appear suspicious.

I didn't say that it wasn't prudent to be concerned and institute such
precautions. But NYC != USA, in fact it's a small (but important) part.
I didn't say anything in this thread even stating NYC for that matter
(until you did).

> We don't know what Andrea looks like or her hubby for that matter.
    > Although trucks are not required to carry bombs. All you need as
    > proven in Spain is a few briefcases.

Indeed.

--
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.

Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
We don't know what Andrea looks like or her hubby for that matter.
We are dead sexy

lol
Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sibsie
I got stopped by my local police a few weeks ago. I live in White Picket fence, small town America and we have a lot of police for a small population. We also have a zero, yes zero crime rate.

They did ask me what my legal status here was. I told them I was a K1 and briefly explained it. They asked for my SSN, wandered off to chat to the station on the radio. Can they confirm your legal status via your SSN? They weren't interested in seeing anything else, and I happened to have my entire AOS folder on me as I was on my way back from bios.

Have to say they were exceptionally nice. Mind you, every official I've met in the US so far has been totally lovely. Even immigration!
Isn't this the same cop who confiscated your vehicle??
Old Oct 19th 2004, 2:51 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Isn't this the same cop who confiscated your vehicle??
Yes over my British Licence saga. I have to say though they were really nice about the whole thing. Mr Sibsie went in last week to renew his gun licence and the same policeman gave us a tour of the station and apologised for having to take the car.

Sounds odd I know but I get far less wound up these days than I ever used to! I think I've just learned to choose my battles.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 5:58 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
We are dead sexy

lol

LMAO!! sexy beasts!!