Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Police Clearance Certificate after 15 years since stay in a country

Police Clearance Certificate after 15 years since stay in a country

Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

My_Immigration is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Clearance Certificate after 15 years since stay in a country

Hi,
A field in the DS 260 form asks if the applicant previously lived in countries different than his present address. If he lived in different countries, he is required to obtain and submit Police Clearance Certificate from those countries with the visa application.
It is given on the webisite travel.state.gov that countries such as Austria, Finland, Japan etc. deletes the police records after 5 years (for minor offences) and after 10 years (for major offences).
If the applicant is applying for a family based USA immigration visa after 15 Years since his stay in a different country, then his police records in that country is already deleted (and cleared).
To complete his DS 260 visa application, does he still need to obtain Police Clearance Certificate from the countries in which he lived 15 years before?
Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Clearance Certificate after 15 years since stay in a country

Morning

I know that you are assisting your uncle with his immigration paperwork. That is a nice thing for you to do. However, your uncle has some questions that you are having difficulties answering.

May I politely suggest that your uncle, at the very least, have a one time consultation with a well versed US immigration attorney. If there are none in the country he is living in, he and you can do this via telephone on a conference call.

Who is petitioning for him and his family? If it is a child of us, then have that person contact the attorney and have a list of questions available for the consultation.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Some countries don't even provide police certificates at all (Iran being one of them, my husband's country). The ConOffs are aware of the restrictions on some countries, and have the ability to look up whether police certificates apply in any given case. All you can do is follow the rules as you see fit, move forward with the application, and if there is anything else the ConOff wants or needs, they will let your uncle know on the day of his visa interview.

I agree with having a 1 time consultation with an immigration attorney to help better understand which police certificates he will need and can obtain.

Rene
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by My_Immigration
If he lived in different countries, he is required to obtain and submit Police Clearance Certificate from those countries with the visa application.
With respect, this question has already been answered in one of your previous threads. If you can't understand what was written, I suggest you're not competent to help your uncle.

By the way - it's not necessary to keep starting new threads for each question you have. It would be a lot better to ask all your questions in one thread so that you can look back at the answers that have previously been given.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes