Police Certificates Queries

Old May 12th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice
Default Police Certificates Queries

A couple of queries concerning Police certificates.

1) When obtaining an ACRO certificate for the time I've spent living in the UK since the age of 16, will 1 application and certificate suffice for the 15 some-odd years of residency + various different locales that I lived in?

2) I am also trying to determine if I require police records for the time I've spent living in China (although I desperately hope I don't have to because it looks like it will take a long time to get them). For my first time in China, I lived and worked there for approximately 10 1/2 months. I then returned to the UK for a period of six weeks before heading out to a different part of China, where I worked and lived for approximately 10 1/2 months again. I went back out to China a couple of years later on a secondment. The secondment was for a two-year period. However, I was not resident in China during this time for more than 12 months at any one time - I was in China for a 9 month stint and, then after a 2 month period back in the US + UK, I went back to the same city + company (although not the same address) for a further period of 11 months. Looking at my Chinese visas for this time (Z visas) my first visa ran from October to August of the following year but was then superseded by a newer visa than run from June of the following year to September of the next year.

If I do need at least 1 police certificate, does anyone have any idea about the best way to go about it? Through the HR department of my company?

Many thanks,

Dan
Old May 14th 2010, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Gruffalogill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Certificates Queries

You only need the ACRO certificate if you've ever been arrested/convicted.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gruffalogill
You only need the ACRO certificate if you've ever been arrested/convicted.
Or if you are applying for an Immigrant Visa, which I think Dan is. I will move the thread to the marriage-based forum where it belongs.
Old May 15th 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Wlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really nice

Having recieved my ACPO certificate through today, I should hopefully be able to help here.

1). You will only need one certificate if your conviction was in this country, if it was in another, you will need to apply to the courts you were convicted, whichever country that may be in. It needs to be issued within 6months of you planned visit to the states.

You have to apply yourself to the Hampshire police for your ACPO certificate.

The application form is here.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

It is a bit of pain to fill in, but pretty quick turnaround.
Old May 17th 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice

Thanks for the replies and apologies for posting in the wrong forum (I didn't think it was specifically a marriage-based visa query but that is what I am applying for, so...).

In terms of the UK one, it seems pretty clear that only 1 is required rather than obtaining a certificate from each individual locale that you have lived. As for China, as far as I can deduce, it is necessary to obtain a police certificate from any country in which you have lived more than 12 months in total - as opposed to only requiring it from any place that you have lived more than 12 months at a time i.e. I need 1 from China because I have lived there more than 12 months in totality, even though it has never been more than 12 months at a time.

Just thought I would post it in case others have a similar query.

Many thanks,

Dan
Old May 17th 2010, 7:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
Thanks for the replies and apologies for posting in the wrong forum (I didn't think it was specifically a marriage-based visa query but that is what I am applying for, so...).

In terms of the UK one, it seems pretty clear that only 1 is required rather than obtaining a certificate from each individual locale that you have lived. As for China, as far as I can deduce, it is necessary to obtain a police certificate from any country in which you have lived more than 12 months in total - as opposed to only requiring it from any place that you have lived more than 12 months at a time i.e. I need 1 from China because I have lived there more than 12 months in totality, even though it has never been more than 12 months at a time.

Just thought I would post it in case others have a similar query.

Many thanks,

Dan
I think the general consensus on here is that you only need one if you've been in a foreign country for more than 12 months *consecutively*, not total.

Rene
Old May 17th 2010, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
I need 1 from China because I have lived there more than 12 months in totality, even though it has never been more than 12 months at a time.
This is incorrect. You need a police certificate only if you have lived there consecutively for 12 months or more... not 12 months total.

Ian
Old May 19th 2010, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Does anybody know what the difference is between a "subject access" and Police Certificate?

The police told me I needed a subject access when I first asked, then I realised it wasn't right and i needed a Police Certificate. It's been a pain for me and cost me valuable time, I'm still waiting on the latter to come through before I book my interview.

Thanks.
Old May 19th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris197337
Does anybody know what the difference is between a "subject access" and Police Certificate?

The police told me I needed a subject access when I first asked, then I realised it wasn't right and i needed a Police Certificate. It's been a pain for me and cost me valuable time, I'm still waiting on the latter to come through before I book my interview.

Thanks.
I found the answer in the ACPO Instructions/Application document, page 12.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/Certificat...%20English.pdf
Old May 19th 2010, 3:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris197337

Thanks.
Why were you asking the police?
The instructions under 'police certificate' from the US Embassy/London tell you which one to get.
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/ukpc.html