Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Police certificates from foreign countries vs military records

Police certificates from foreign countries vs military records

Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

ChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura about
Default Police certificates from foreign countries vs military records

Hi all,

What a great forum!

I have been an avid lurker on this site for quite some time but alas the time has come to post; an accolade to the site if this is my first question!

Does anyone have any experience of providing police certificates from foreign countries IF one has served in the British military? Understood that I need to acquire the ACPO certificate but one for each country I have lived in for over 12 months?!!!! As you can doubtless appreciate, these days one becomes well travelled in the military and having served for quite some time, I have lived in many countries for more than 12 months.

My point here is that the local police forces overseas would have no record of me. Does a flawless, exemplary military record serve as proof of negative criminal activity? I would imagine that even though I was serving overseas, I still came under British military jurisdiction, ultimately British law, and therefore, clean military record + ACPO report would tie up?

Looking forward to the responses and experience on this one

Kind regards

CD
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:55 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police certificates from foreign countries vs military records

Originally Posted by ChelseaDagger View Post
Hi all,

What a great forum!

I have been an avid lurker on this site for quite some time but alas the time has come to post; an accolade to the site if this is my first question!

Does anyone have any experience of providing police certificates from foreign countries IF one has served in the British military? Understood that I need to acquire the ACPO certificate but one for each country I have lived in for over 12 months?!!!! As you can doubtless appreciate, these days one becomes well travelled in the military and having served for quite some time, I have lived in many countries for more than 12 months.

My point here is that the local police forces overseas would have no record of me. Does a flawless, exemplary military record serve as proof of negative criminal activity? I would imagine that even though I was serving overseas, I still came under British military jurisdiction, ultimately British law, and therefore, clean military record + ACPO report would tie up?

Looking forward to the responses and experience on this one

Kind regards

CD
Hi:

Good question that intrigued me -- couldn't find the answer readily in FAM. I've posted the question on an attorney group to see what I find.

I wonder if it depends upon where you have served. It would be a nightmare if you had to inquire about the terms of the SOFA and/or Visiting Forces Act governing each of your postings. I know that some the SOFA's involving the US subject the troops to local criminal jurisdiction. [One of my late uncles commanded a US Air Force ground installation in Turkey back in the 60's. He told me that the local jails relied on the prisoner's family to provide food and clothing -- he had to send a detail out to the local jail every week as "family" to take care of an airman or two who sometimes had minor scrapes with local law enforcement.].

I may be a lawyer, but I am not YOUR lawyer. But on this one, I'm just curious.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Aug 17th 2009 at 7:02 am. Reason: correct omission
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

I can't give you a definitive answer but I can give you my experience from getting my K1 last year. I used to be in the British Army and spent 4 years in Germany during the 1990s. I didn't get a police certificate from there and the Embassy accepted my military record in lieu of one with no problems.

This is what the Embassy website has to say about it:

I'm in Her Majesty's Forces/ the Diplomatic Service; I am applying for an immigrant visa, do I require a police certificate?

The Embassy will accept a copy of your military record or discharge papers for any country were you might have served while in the HM Forces. The Embassy will accept a letter from the Foreign and Commonwealth office in lieu of police certificates for any country were you may have served for the British Government.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

When I processed in 2006/7 I got a 'police certificate' from the Royal Military Police (RMP). The idea was that while serving in the army overseas, the locals don't know about you, you are effectively a grey man...

It is indeed called a Subject Access Request. All I did was drop a letter to the address below, stating that I needed it for a visa application. You\o will need to include Army Number, Rank and Discharge Date. I would also include the last unit address if possible. Ensure that the letter is worded from the military member and signed by them, as only they can request his information

The address is:
Central Criminal Records & Intelligence Branch,
Service Police Crime Bureau,
Building 143,
Southwick Park,
FAREHAM
PO17 6EJ

I had no problems with this covering my 13 years in Germany (4 tours/units) Cyprus, Kuwait, the Falklands and Bosnia.

Hope it helps.

C
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OUr experience was the same as EB & cranners.. military records were sufficient, no police certs from time in country while in service.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

ChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura about

Guys and Girls,

Many thanks indeed for your responses, very much appreciated and exactly what I was looking for; some personal experiences much akin to my own situation help shed light on the situation.

I sure won't hesitate in asking other questions if the responses one gets are this thorough

Kind regards

CD
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually applied for my CR-1 visa through the US Embassy in Cyprus, as that's where I was stationed for my last year before getting out.

As I was still physically serving there, and applying through the Embassy there, it seemed prudent to get a Police certificate from the local SBA police, who also kindly arranged to get me one from the Cypriot Police (Probably wouldn't have bothered with this step if I'd have been back in the UK for my last year, however). I believe I also got one from the RMP, as a catch all for everywhere else I'd been in the Forces (Germany, usual Balkan/Middle Eastern joints). Finally, I got the normal to everyone certificate from my "local" police force, i.e. my parents address, which I'd always retained all the time I'd been in the Army, as a lot of people do.

Armed with the above (plus the rest of the usual paperwork....), had no problems at all with getting my CR-1 sorted through the US Embassy in Cyprus.

Last edited by Dan725; Aug 17th 2009 at 7:01 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dan725,

Seems you had every angle covered
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChelseaDagger View Post
Thanks Dan725,

Seems you had every angle covered
You'll find it's the best way to be when dealing with USCIS! Throughout my entire process from applying for that visa all the way through to getting my citizenship last year, I was really careful to ensure I had everything they asked for, and then some. Throughout all the applications and interviews on the way, never once was I asked to produce anything! Typical...but you can guarantee, the one time you under prepare will be the time you get the immigration officer from hell.

Good luck with it all
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

In time-honored military tradition, I've got copies of copies of copies, for everything! If I learnt nothing else during my time in the mob, I did learn the 7 P's I don't ever do anything half-baked, let's hope it sees me right again

Appreciate the message of good luck Dan, thank you.