POE Experience - Atlanta

Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default POE Experience - Atlanta

Hi Everyone! Well I have now been here in Atlanta for 3 days, finally adjusting to the time! Here's my POE experience for you all!!

I flew from England to Atlanta via Paris on Friday. At the boarding gate in Paris the lady looked at my boarding card and passport to figure out which immigration cards to give me. She asked to see my return ticket so I explained I don't have one because I'm not returning as I have a K1 visa. She looked at the visa, looked confused and then began to look at all the entry stamps in my passport and again said can I see you return ticket I pointed to the visa and showed her it said valid for one entry and the date I was issued it and then it was as if a light bulb had come on in her head and she handed me the customs form and the 1-94 form and off I went! I thought I'd add that part in because its a common question to ask about one way or return tickets but it really is ok to have the one way, as many have said in the past, just don't worry if a return ticket is asked for.

I finally got off the plane at Atlanta at 2.05pm (late !!) and headed for immigration. The lines were unbelieveable and I haven't seen Atlanta as busy as that for ages. I went to the visitors line and had everything ready. A lady went down the line making sure we have the correct customs cards so I asked her if I had to wait in this line or if I could go straight to the room where I knew I eventually had to go but she said to wait in line. At 2.45 (not bad considering how busy it was) I finally reached the front gave over my things and was told oh you need to go to the office over there! He gave me a folder to put everything in. Once in the office I put my folder in a rack and sat down to wait for them to reach mine, there were about 5 in front of me. I only waited about 25 mins until mine was picked up and 5 mins later I left the office!! The officer just said you have entered on a fiancee visa, you have 90 days to marry your fiance, however you do not have to marry him (I will be baby!!) but if you don't you have to leave the country, and that was it. I asked if she needed my x-ray and she said no its to give to my doctor. I reclaimed my luggage and at 3.30 I was in Steve's arms

Nicola

Timeline TSC
NOA1 January 15th
NOA2 June 19th (Online Status)
NOA2 Letter received June 23rd
NVC Letter recieved July 2nd (dated 30th June)
Packet 3 received July 10th
Returned IV-15 July 21st (Delayed due to being in the USA when it arrived)
Interview date received July 25th
Interview date September 2nd
Got the Visa!!!
Moving to the USA September 5th

Wedding date November 1st
Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future
Default Yay!

Congratulations Nicola and thanks for the POE write up.

I was wondering did you even bother to ask about the EAD stamp thingy at the airport?

Hope everything goes as smoothly for Bill and I. We had a spot of good luck I think with my return flight. I had one booked for the 12th October but have managed to reschedule for the 5th as Bill is coming over for a break, to meet some family that won't be able to make it to the wedding and to accompany me to the interview. Not only did I manage to rearrange and get the same flight back as him but I even scored the seat next to him. No escape for him now! *muahahahaha*

I've heard that the heat in Atlanta has broken and that thankfully the mozzies are dying off now. (I'm STILL covered in bites, damn them). But I'm sure now that you are with Steve everything seems perfect already.

Best wishes.

Kay
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Yay!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pinKaboo
Congratulations Nicola and thanks for the POE write up.

I was wondering did you even bother to ask about the EAD stamp thingy at the airport?

Hope everything goes as smoothly for Bill and I. We had a spot of good luck I think with my return flight. I had one booked for the 12th October but have managed to reschedule for the 5th as Bill is coming over for a break, to meet some family that won't be able to make it to the wedding and to accompany me to the interview. Not only did I manage to rearrange and get the same flight back as him but I even scored the seat next to him. No escape for him now! *muahahahaha*

I've heard that the heat in Atlanta has broken and that thankfully the mozzies are dying off now. (I'm STILL covered in bites, damn them). But I'm sure now that you are with Steve everything seems perfect already.[QUOTE][i]

Hi Kay

No I didn't ask, I totally forgot. I think I had it in my head that I wouldn't get it and was just so happy when I was released to go get steve that I just took my passprt and went!! It's nice to have this bit of time to settle and get things for the wedding organised though but I really do hope I can get a job as soon as I'm authorised. I need to read up on what to do next with the SSN and EAD actually cos I'm a little confused!!

That's great you managed to change your flight and even better to the same as Bill's!! I really wish I'd had Steve with me because saying bye to my mum at the airport and walking away alone was heartbreaking.

Yeah the weather has cooled somewhat since I was last here, although I have a god damn mozzie bite on my hand already!! They just love my white skin! You are right though, everything seems perfect already, just so nice to beable to curl up on the sofa together and watch a movie and not have in the back of your mind when you have to leave each other again, pure heaven!!

I hope you both have a great time in England, less than one month and you'll be here too

Nicola
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Nicola! I know how your fiance felt waiting for you on the other end of those escalators at the Atlanta Airport. It seemed like it took Pete forever to come up those stairs after his flight landed.

Kay, my Pete forgot to ask for his EAD stamp when he came through Atlanta and they reminded him and did it for him (actually in Atlanta it's a laminated card). It should be no problem if you are using Atlanta as your POE.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Scout
Congratulations Nicola! I know how your fiance felt waiting for you on the other end of those escalators at the Atlanta Airport. It seemed like it took Pete forever to come up those stairs after his flight landed.

Kay, my Pete forgot to ask for his EAD stamp when he came through Atlanta and they reminded him and did it for him (actually in Atlanta it's a laminated card). It should be no problem if you are using Atlanta as your POE.

Cheers,

Leslie

Damn I can't believe I forgot to ask! just my luck that Atlanta would give out the EAD and I didn't ask! I wish she had reminded me. It is nice to have the time to adjust but I also need to get working too, that's a big part of adjustment afterall!

Yeah Steve looked relieved BIG time when I came up that escalator! He said he was panicking a little. He'd been there 2 hours by the time I got to him.

Nicola
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:50 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many congrats, Nicola!!!! I couldn't have the special moment at the airport with Corey, unfortunately. His car wouldn't start, so I had to get a cab to our apartment!
Good feeling knowing you don't have to leave him again, though, huh? All the best to you both!
Kate. xxxx
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future
Default 2 hours?!!

Aww poor guy, must have been nerve wracking for him waiting all that time. Bet he thinks it was worth it though.

Hee, so far everytime I've been to Atlanta I've run through the immigrations, baggage claim, customs, baggage recheck and all that palaver so fast on one occasion I made it to the arrivals area before Bill did. He didn't think I could get through it all so speedily, but I was so nervous and excited I made sure I had my running shoes on and when they let me into the country I pegged it through all the Hartsfield International mayhem.

Leslie - thanks for the words about the EAD, that's very good to know. It's typical, I'm unemployed over here but I've already had a few freelance (I do graphic and web design) propositions in the States when I visited and have had to turn them down because I'm not work authorised. Gah. It'll be great if I can manage to do some of those when I do make it over, would certainly make things easier before I can hopefully snag myself a full time position somewhere.

Nicola - yeah, really wasn't looking forward to leaving mum and dad at the airport on my own. It's weird and sad enough as it is here at the moment as I'm getting things ready and clearing out their attic with all my hoarded crap.

Strange to think that after all this waiting, 4 weeks and then that's it. So much to do and time is flying past now. Uhm..YAY!
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Many congrats, Nicola!!!! I couldn't have the special moment at the airport with Corey, unfortunately. His car wouldn't start, so I had to get a cab to our apartment!
Good feeling knowing you don't have to leave him again, though, huh? All the best to you both!
Kate. xxxx

Hi Kate

I almost didn't have the special moment either if Steve's boss had anything to do with it! When Steve asked about leaving work early to come and get me he said can't she get the Marta!! (Local train service!) Steve explained how long we had waited for this and how he couldn't really just let me get the Marta LOL!!
Yeah it is a good feeling knowing I don't have to leave him though, I can't stop smiling Steve just emailed me from work and he said he can't stop smiling either!!

Nicola