Wikiposts

Poe

Old Aug 1st 2004, 6:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poe

Originally posted by tutor4tavana
Do all "non jfk" airports not put the K1 stamp on the passport?

As I understand (from one your earlier posts), it is the stamp on the passport that activates the k1 and lets you work for 90 days.

I recvd just a stamp on my passport - can I use that stamp in conjunction with my original Soc Sec Number (recvd as a student in 1988) to work?

Thanks.
Tavana
Hi Tavana,

If you are entering as a K1, currently JFK is the only POE that is giving out the actual 90-day EAD stamp. However, a K1 is entitled to that stamp, no matter where they enter. If you don't come through JFK, then after your arrival, go to your local USCIS office and see about getting it there. soulsender did this in Arizona and it worked.

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Aug 1st 2004, 6:45 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by broma25
I am coming on an immigrant visa, we have filed our I-130 in London, my US husband is resident here in the UK and we will arrive in the US together.

This is why I thought once issued with my visa i need only apply for my SSN when I get there.

Upon entry the immigration officer will stamp the I-551 (temporary evidence for permanent residence) on your passport.
The stamp will allow you to work until you get your green card in the mail (it can take 2-3 months.. keep in mind this timelines may vary).
So Yes, basically you'll "only" have to apply for a SSN.

If you have been married less than 2 years when you get the lawful permament resident status (At the entry in the US in your case), you will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. Your green card will be "temporary" (As it will expire after a 2 year period)
You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on residence. IMPORTANT – you must apply to remove conditional status within 90 days BEFORE the 2-year anniversary of the date you were granted conditional legal permanent resident status. If you don't do this during this time you will be considered out of status and will be subject to removal from the US.
For information about remove conditions based on marriage:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/RemCond.HTM

Good Luck!!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Upon entry the immigration officer will stamp the I-551 (temporary evidence for permanent residence) on your passport.
The stamp will allow you to work until you get your green card in the mail (it can take 2-3 months.. keep in mind this timelines may vary).
So Yes, basically you'll "only" have to apply for a SSN.

If you have been married less than 2 years when you get the lawful permament resident status (At the entry in the US in your case), you will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. Your green card will be "temporary" (As it will expire after a 2 year period)
You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on residence. IMPORTANT – you must apply to remove conditional status within 90 days BEFORE the 2-year anniversary of the date you were granted conditional legal permanent resident status. If you don't do this during this time you will be considered out of status and will be subject to removal from the US.

Thank you for that, we will have been married for 2 years in November and I would imagine by the time we have finished the process we will be arriving after our 2nd anniversary. So I should get PLR i assume.
For information about remove conditions based on marriage:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/RemCond.HTM

Good Luck!!