British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Please, No inquiries to Folinskyinla (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/please-no-inquiries-folinskyinla-122773/)

Folinskyinla Dec 19th 2002 4:14 pm

Please, No inquiries to Folinskyinla

Hi:

I'm not going to name names, but one poster on this newsgroup sent me a private message asking me to answer a question posted here. I've already privately responded with a polite but firm refusal, but I feel a need to publicize this a bit.

I do NOT seek business on this NG. In fact, I have refused retainer offers from here. I participate here for two reasons: first, I happen to enjoy it. Second, I feel that I am performing a public service ["pro bono publico"] by making sure that accurate information is out there. Unfortunately, there is too much inaccurate information, a lot of which, orginates from government employees.

On a professional basis, I am liable for professional adivce that I give to my clients. I am a human being and I make mistakes. I'm liable for my mistakes. Accordingly, I try to avoid forming any attorney-client relationship on the NG. However, the law indicates that an attorney-client relationship can be created even in casual encounters. Matt Udall has pointed out the case where an attorney was asked at a party about the length of time allowed for filing a suit in an automobile accident. The attorney gave a general answer not knowing that because the defendant was a governmental agency, a preliminary claim procedure with a shorter time frame was applicable. The other party-goer relied on this advice and lost his chance to recover from the governmental agency. However, he did ulitmately recover -- from the attorney.

So please bear in mind that my advice here will be general in nature. It is meant for ALL of you. But although I may be a lawyer, I am not YOUR lawyer.

Good luck in all your cases.

pepsi Dec 19th 2002 4:35 pm

Maybe you should take all that info off your board signature, and pretend to be just a random helper, with minimum intelligence , you know that , people will never stop asking for your advice with lawyer all over your posts , so you know how to avoid the attention you dislike

to them seeking help, Rete and patrick, have been most helpfull in cases i have seen

Folinskyinla Dec 19th 2002 5:15 pm

Originally posted by pepsi
Maybe you should take all that info off your board signature, and pretend to be just a random helper, with minimum intelligence , you know that , people will never stop asking for your advice with lawyer all over your posts , so you know how to avoid the attention you dislike

to them seeking help, Rete and patrick, have been most helpfull in cases i have seen

Hi:

Its not that I "dislike" it. I put the signature block to simply give an imprimatur that I know what I'm talking about. Although it is fairly easy to figure out who I am, I also use a screen name rather than my actual name to discuourage individual inquiries.

Most people are respectful of this and my post was simply a reminder. I have to be cognizant that people come and go here -- most poster's interest in immigration lasts as long as their case is pending.