Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Please help! To sick to go on the interview

Please help! To sick to go on the interview

Old Jun 10th 2004, 4:43 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice
Default Re: Please help! To sick to go on the interview

I'm not a doctor but it would appear on the surface that the overwhelmning change in lifestyle and environment has much to do with your problem.
i really think that has a big part in it too (speaking personally).

i hadn't had a panic attack (and i used to get them badly) since 1987, and i had one this january - the anniversary of when i came over, which i think set me off. i actually ended up in the ER thinking that perhaps i was having a heart attack (although i kind of knew it was probably a panic attack). my heart rate was over 100 bpm for 24 hours, so i thought i'd better go and get it checked out, just incase. from that point on i cut out any stimulants, just to be on the safe side.

however, the panic is always there, right over my shoulder. i deal with it every day. i too am going to go and see if i can get something to help me out - i've done it alone for long enough and it's tiring. i was given some pills (Clonazepam also known as Clonapin) to take 'as and when', which have helped me enormously, but i think i need something everyday. just until my immigration claim is sorted and there isn't that worry.

i think you hit it on the head rete. it's a big stress for everyone going through the process and for some it can bring it out in panic disorders.

klalmoon, you will be fine. you are being pro-active, which is really good. you've taken control of the situation :) *sends you a hug*
Old Jun 10th 2004, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

klalmoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Jenney , do you think that I could call again and say everything or wait for the doctor answer?
I could ask her(doctor) to write a medical report about my condition and I could send to the INS.
I told a lye because my husband was afraid that they could deny my application, but now I feel that I made a big mistake ..
Any suggestions?
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs
Claudia

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Claudia, I'm glad to hear you were able to reschedule your interview, if that's what you feel is best for you at this point.

However, PLEASE do not lie to immigration officials! I cannot stress this enough. If they ask you why you needed to postpone, do not make up a story like the one you did. Just tell them the truth.

There is nothing to be ashamed of -- you have a medical condition. It would be no different than if you couldn't go because you have a heart problem or epilepsy or a broken leg. Just because it is a mental disorder and not a physical disorder does not make it any less than what it is -- a disorder.

If they ask again about why your interview was postponed, tell them the truth. If they then ask why you told them something else, again tell the truth -- that you were afraid/ashamed of telling them about your condition. But no matter what, always tell the truth.

Keep us posted on what happens.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 10th 2004, 4:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an attorney and this is not to be construed as legal advice. If I had done what you did, I would just leave it the way it is. I don't believe your husband will be asked for proof that he was out of town on the original interview date. If it needs to be explained at the time of the interview, you will handle it then.

I can understand your husband's hesitancy about explaining your mental health issue and I would certainly have the doctor write a letter concerning your condition and the prognosis for a recovery that will allow you to live what others consider a normal life. Take the letter with you to the interview, but do not give it over until and unless necessary. If you go through the interview without an attack there would be no need to submit the letter.

Glad about the support group. Perhaps your group might want to role act the interview with you over the next few sessions. This will give you a chance to become familiar with the interview process and make you more comfortable and self-confident.

Rete

Originally posted by klalmoon
Rete, I made a big mistake calling them and saying that my husband was unablle to attend, now what can I do? My interview is next week and I was so anxious about this situation that i called and they wil send me a letter about my next interview.
I am glad that you remember my problem some time ago..Yes is very hard living here without any family but I am very blessed to have a wonderful husband that support me!
I have found a very good support group that will attend me here ( inside my home) without any cost but I just found out late( one week before the interview).
What do you think? Do I need to call again or make my husband call and explain? ASk for the doctor write a letter explaining my situation? I don'`t know why I lie..Could say the truth but my husband told me that they could take this wrong because mental illness is a very delicate condition, they can think that I am nuts or something..lol..
Please I really need advice,!!
Bless you
klalmoon
Old Jun 10th 2004, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Tortoise,
the stress is overwelmed, and think that is because every person has he/his own way to deal with the situations...Just hold hands durring a panic attack doesn'`t help and is not that easy ..I wish was!!
I want the best for you!
Big hug
Claudia
Originally posted by tortoise
i really think that has a big part in it too (speaking personally).

i hadn't had a panic attack (and i used to get them badly) since 1987, and i had one this january - the anniversary of when i came over, which i think set me off. i actually ended up in the ER thinking that perhaps i was having a heart attack (although i kind of knew it was probably a panic attack). my heart rate was over 100 bpm for 24 hours, so i thought i'd better go and get it checked out, just incase. from that point on i cut out any stimulants, just to be on the safe side.

however, the panic is always there, right over my shoulder. i deal with it every day. i too am going to go and see if i can get something to help me out - i've done it alone for long enough and it's tiring. i was given some pills (Clonazepam also known as Clonapin) to take 'as and when', which have helped me enormously, but i think i need something everyday. just until my immigration claim is sorted and there isn't that worry.

i think you hit it on the head rete. it's a big stress for everyone going through the process and for some it can bring it out in panic disorders.

klalmoon, you will be fine. you are being pro-active, which is really good. you've taken control of the situation *sends you a hug*
Old Jun 10th 2004, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much!!i will do that!
Hugs
Claudia

Originally posted by Rete
I'm not an attorney and this is not to be construed as legal advice. If I had done what you did, I would just leave it the way it is. I don't believe your husband will be asked for proof that he was out of town on the original interview date. If it needs to be explained at the time of the interview, you will handle it then.

I can understand your husband's hesitancy about explaining your mental health issue and I would certainly have the doctor write a letter concerning your condition and the prognosis for a recovery that will allow you to live what others consider a normal life. Take the letter with you to the interview, but do not give it over until and unless necessary. If you go through the interview without an attack there would be no need to submit the letter.

Glad about the support group. Perhaps your group might want to role act the interview with you over the next few sessions. This will give you a chance to become familiar with the interview process and make you more comfortable and self-confident.

Rete
Old Jun 10th 2004, 4:51 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Rete, I made a big mistake calling them and saying that my husband was unablle to attend, now what can I do? My interview is next week and I was so anxious about this situation that i called and they wil send me a letter about my next interview.
I am glad that you remember my problem some time ago..Yes is very hard living here without any family but I am very blessed to have a wonderful husband that support me!
I have found a very good support group that will attend me here ( inside my home) without any cost but I just found out late( one week before the interview).
What do you think? Do I need to call again or make my husband call and explain? ASk for the doctor write a letter explaining my situation? I don'`t know why I lie..Could say the truth but my husband told me that they could take this wrong because mental illness is a very delicate condition, they can think that I am nuts or something..lol..
Please I really need advice,!!
Bless you
klalmoon

Oops, I made my last post before seeing this one...

Do you want to go to the interview next week? If so, then call them back and tell them you will be able to attend after all. You can just say you thought you wouldn't be able to go but now things have changed and now you can. If they ask, then tell them. If they don't ask, then don't give them details -- just tell them you thought you couldn't go but now you can, and leave it at that.

Whatever you do, do not lie. That only makes things more complicated, especially for you.

And as far as them thinking you are "nuts" -- most likely they won't, but even if they do... Who cares?! You know you're not crazy, you have a problem and you are doing something about it. That's what is most important. If people think you're crazy, or that you're just not trying hard enough to "snap out of it," then they only think that way because they don't understand your condition.

You just do what you need to do and don't worry about how people might judge you. And you're taking a great step forward by meeting with this support group. There are also a lot of online message boards dealing with this problem where you might find additional support. I used to go to one when I had my problem but I don't remember what it's called. I'll have a look and let you know the URL if I find it.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:01 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I have Panic Disorder since I arrive here in US( 2/ 1/2 years ago, now i have the interview next week and cannot appear, If i need to postpone do I need to explain and say the truth about my condition? I will start a new treatment this week so I don'`t know if the doctor will give me a medication or not, I am withouth hope!
Any help is appreciate!
Hugs

klalmoon
Do you have an immigration attorney working on your case? If so, perhaps you should consider having him or her appear at your interview with you and your husband. I know for a fact that many people find it comforting to have their advocate/legal representative not only prepare them "before" the interview (go over the file and evidence submitted with the AOS, go over evidence that might have come into existence since the time of filing the AOS, tell you what a typical interview is like, describe some of the pet peeves of some USCIS officers, tell you of common mistakes people can make at an interview, etc.), but also sitting next to them during the interview; taking notes and there to jump in if appropriate.

Good luck.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ..A condition than can effect even the strongest... People who know me would never believe it but every time I fly I have real panic attacks while waiting to board...I feel really ill, can't breathe etc.. but I force my way thru it ..had it only on two other occasions .. one my AOS interview and two an hour before my current marriage.. believe me your not alone in this..
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

good idea about the support sites.

this one looks pretty good: http://paniccenter.net/support/
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Do you have an immigration attorney working on your case? If so, perhaps you should consider having him or her appear at your interview with you and your husband. I know for a fact that many people find it comforting to have their advocate/legal representative not only prepare them "before" the interview (go over the file and evidence submitted with the AOS, go over evidence that might have come into existence since the time of filing the AOS, tell you what a typical interview is like, describe some of the pet peeves of some USCIS officers, tell you of common mistakes people can make at an interview, etc.), but also sitting next to them during the interview; taking notes and there to jump in if appropriate.

Good luck.

Great suggestion. Is it possible if they don't have an attorney already, to hire one that will attend the interview with them? Or is there someone else that USCIS would allow to attend the interview with them that might lend support to Claudia.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

I don'`t have an attourney and don'`t have money to do that!!If I had I would have proper medical tratment before!!
But I would like to know if someone else had this problem before , for someone that don'`t know how is a life of an agorophobic: Travel 30 minutes is the hardest thing to do, go at the store on the corner too.....is very wierd think that someone could not travel far from you home..I understand that!! I know that I can have treatment, but you all know how expensive to get medical treatment here in US and hire a lawyer is worst!!(sorry my english, I am brazilian)
I am legal here, got married for love and I don'`t have nothing to hide, and I don'`t think that the immigration will tottaly understand my situation. I just know one thing, I will keep the treatment and pray for more time ...to attend the interview!
Thank you
Hugs
Claudia

Originally posted by Rete
Great suggestion. Is it possible if they don't have an attorney already, to hire one that will attend the interview with them? Or is there someone else that USCIS would allow to attend the interview with them that might lend support to Claudia.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:38 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

just one thing though, (i think rete mentioned this above?) there are immigration advocates. they are generally linked to religious charitable organisations. check with your local catholic society and they should be able to help you.

here's a site that could help you start to look: http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/probono/freelglchtTX.htm

if you explain your situation, they might be able to help. it's worth a try :)
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Tortoise, I will try!
Hugs
Claudia

Originally posted by tortoise
just one thing though, (i think rete mentioned this above?) there are immigration advocates. they are generally linked to religious charitable organisations. check with your local catholic society and they should be able to help you.

here's a site that could help you start to look: http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/probono/freelglchtTX.htm

if you explain your situation, they might be able to help. it's worth a try
Old Jun 10th 2004, 6:23 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I don'`t have an attourney and don'`t have money to do that!!If I had I would have proper medical tratment before!!
I believe many labor under the assumption that one simply can't afford an attorney or that attorneys charge such a high rate that nobody could afford to hire them. As an attorney myself who charges low flat rate fees in most situations, I sometimes wonder if those people even shopped around or made any calls to attorneys to check their fees before making such statements. So I ask you, did you ever get any fee quotes before concluding you could not afford legal representation in your important case?

I know that I can have treatment, but you all know how expensive to get medical treatment here in US and hire a lawyer is worst!!(sorry my english, I am brazilian)
I can relate about the medical treatment part. I cringe every month when I send in my medical insurance premium; however again, representation with an immigration case, with some shopping around, can be had for a reasonable price. I certainly don't think the average immigration attorney helping someone get their case through a USCIS office charges fees comparable with those charged by Doctors.

I wish you good luck with your condition, and your eventual interview.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I already have called an attourney and you know what i am talking about..I know that there are many laywers like you that could charge me a low rate but here where I live is almost impossible...(In my actually situation).
Thank you for your help and i am sure that I will find myself better and attend the interview.
Have a blessed day
Claudia
Originally posted by Matthew Udall
I believe many labor under the assumption that one simply can't afford an attorney or that attorneys charge such a high rate that nobody could afford to hire them. As an attorney myself who charges low flat rate fees in most situations, I sometimes wonder if those people even shopped around or made any calls to attorneys to check their fees before making such statements. So I ask you, did you ever get any fee quotes before concluding you could not afford legal representation in your important case?

I can relate about the medical treatment part. I cringe every month when I send in my medical insurance premium; however again, representation with an immigration case, with some shopping around, can be had for a reasonable price. I certainly don't think the average immigration attorney helping someone get their case through a USCIS office charges fees comparable with those charged by Doctors.

I wish you good luck with your condition, and your eventual interview.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.