Please help me. I'm heartbroken.

Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me. I'm heartbroken.

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa

crg......can you enlighten me on "if ESTA is denied, the person isn't supposed to arrive at the POE" Thank you
That is a moot point, without an ESTA the airline will not let her travel.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
That is a moot point, without an ESTA the airline will not let her travel.
Understood. Just thought is there some reason why some get ESTA approved and others don't who give the same answer on the form. No doubt I'm overthinking it but was asking does ESTA know something we don't when they have your passport number etc.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Understood. Just thought is there some reason why some get ESTA approved and others don't who give the same answer on the form. No doubt I'm overthinking it but was asking does ESTA know something we don't when they have your passport number etc.
It depends on the circumstances surrounding that particular answer. In this case having the visa cancelled, and for the reason given, I would guess the system has the person by name, date of birth, passport number etc blocked.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 7:10 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter-in-law decided she would try to return on VWP on the original planned date as there's nothing she can contribute to the situation in the UK and just wanted to get the child back to some kind of normality. She did the ESTA form and has been refused.

She knows there would have been a secondary questioning if she got to POE but now the chance of truthfully answering to that has now gone too.

crg......can you enlighten me on "if ESTA is denied, the person isn't supposed to arrive at the POE" Thank you
You had asked if a denial of a visa would always lead to denial at the POE. I was merely pointing out that the denied ESTA will often prevent the person from arriving at the POE at all.

According to the guidance online, a person with a denied ESTA is required to obtain a visa prior to seeking entry at a POE in the future. The air carrier will often deny boarding to a VWP applicant who is not ESTA approved.

If the mother was successful in obtaining the ESTA, did she intend to return the child to attend school in the US without authorization? Enrolling in elementary school as a visa waiver visitor would be a violation of status and transporting such a person to the US with the intent to violate the VWP could be considered alien smuggling and lead to a lifetime bar for the mother.

Hopefully the L-1 problem can be fixed, but a consulation with a qualified immigration attorney would be highly advised. This problem could mushroom into a huge mess if not handled properly and have serious consequences.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Hopefully the L-1 problem can be fixed, but a consulation with a qualified immigration attorney would be highly advised. This problem could mushroom into a huge mess if not handled properly and have serious consequences.
Thank you and yes, you are right. Said consultations will begin on Tuesday, after the holiday.

Forgive me for my ramblings, but I'm just a grandmother who doesn't know what else to do other than vent and "talk" about it on here.

I just want my family back
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

CAProgrammer is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter-in-law decided she would try to return on VWP on the original planned date as there's nothing she can contribute to the situation in the UK and just wanted to get the child back to some kind of normality. She did the ESTA form and has been refused.

She knows there would have been a secondary questioning if she got to POE but now the chance of truthfully answering to that has now gone too.

ESTA - Electronic System for Travel Authorization. When you apply for ESTA you are applying for permission to travel to the USA. If ESTA is refused you have been refused entry to the USA so you are not supposed to arrive at the POE.

Arriving at the POE after ESTA has been denied is equivalent to someone from a country that doesn't participate in the VWP arriving at the POE without a visa. I'm pretty sure your daughter-in-law will not be allowed to enter....

As someone else already said she won't be allowed to even board the plane as the airline is responsible for taking the passenger back to their home country if they are refused entry.

Last edited by CAProgrammer; Jan 1st 2012 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
If the mother was successful in obtaining the ESTA, did she intend to return the child to attend school in the US without authorization? Enrolling in elementary school as a visa waiver visitor would be a violation of status and transporting such a person to the US with the intent to violate the VWP could be considered alien smuggling and lead to a lifetime bar for the mother.
+1.

Also, the child is only 5, missing a couple of months of school isn't going to damage his education forever; and it is definitely not worth the risk to the mother.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Forgive me for my ramblings, but I'm just a grandmother who doesn't know what else to do other than vent and "talk" about it on here.

I just want my family back
I was just wondering what your immigration status is in the USA? If you or your husband are US citizens you should be able to petition for your son's family to immigrate.

It won't resolve the current issue, but I think a married child over the age of 21 has a long waiting period and if that petition was ongoing in the background it would eventually allow them to immigrate to the USA.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAProgrammer
I was just wondering what your immigration status is in the USA? If you or your husband are US citizens you should be able to petition for your son's family to immigrate.

It won't resolve the current issue, but I think a married child over the age of 21 has a long waiting period and if that petition was ongoing in the background it would eventually allow them to immigrate to the USA.
We are LPR's since 2006. Never applied for naturalisation.....wish we had now
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAProgrammer
ESTA - Electronic System for Travel Authorization. When you apply for ESTA you are applying for permission to travel to the USA. If ESTA is refused you have been refused entry to the USA so you are not supposed to arrive at the POE.

Arriving at the POE after ESTA has been denied is equivalent to someone from a country that doesn't participate in the VWP arriving at the POE without a visa. I'm pretty sure your daughter-in-law will not be allowed to enter....

As someone else already said she won't be allowed to even board the plane as the airline is responsible for taking the passenger back to their home country if they are refused entry.
How can someone without a visa arrive at a US POE without ESTA approval?
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you became LPR in 2006 and have been in the USA since then, you're only recently eligible for naturalization - perhaps apply now?
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming everything else is in place, it seems that 2011 was the first year you could apply for naturalization. Once naturalized, each of you [both you and your husband] can then file individual I-130's for your son. It is a backlogged category and is of no immediate help -- but it does secure the place in line.

BTW, I do not know any of the facts -- I know that sometimes various members of a family will use the family business to immigrate two generations of the family. Remember the discussion above "without prejudice." When I was in practice, I would see, on occasion, a revocation metastacize to take down other family members.

I'm glad the consultations are being made. I wonder what other land mines may be in the case. Again, I don't know.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you became LPR in 2006 and have been in the USA since then, you're only recently eligible for naturalization - perhaps apply now?
It's a thought, yes. I'll go look at some info now, will give me something to do.

Expecting to find there's several years wait but at least it's another avenue.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
BTW, I do not know any of the facts -- I know that sometimes various members of a family will use the family business to immigrate two generations of the family. Remember the discussion above "without prejudice." When I was in practice, I would see, on occasion, a revocation metastacize to take down other family members.
Oh no, nothing like that. I'm an RN and my husband is a retired Paramedic.

We came here in 2006 prior to the Schedule A visa category becoming retrogressed. I was sponsored by my employer.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How can someone without a visa arrive at a US POE without ESTA approval?
Swim there?

Nowadays airlines don't allow you to get on the plane before checking for your visa (or ESTA) in most cases but in the past they used to allow you to travel there and they never used to demand that you have a visa.

Even now there must be some way of getting to a country without a visa as many poor/persecuted asylum seekers probably don't have the money to apply for a visa...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.