Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Please help: Extension of F-1 visa????

Please help: Extension of F-1 visa????

Old Apr 5th 2001, 8:01 am
Akhilesh Tripathi
Posts: n/a

Hi all Sorry , bugging you guys again. Allow me to reframe my questions for clarity I
would be grateful if people can tell me their experience about extending F1 visa in
Canada or India Some specific questions are
1. What is (if any) minimum days gap when you should go for extending the present
valid F1 visa. my f1 visa for travel expires in june 01,2001

and i-20 is valid till may 2002...
2)is there a one month requirement before one can ask for extension..in my case
3). has anyone heard that they ask Washington DC office for extension.
4). How can we expedite this process in case they inform us they need
permission from DC.
5). Any specific email address ????
Old Apr 5th 2001, 1:21 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller
Posts: n/a

Akhilesh Tripathi wrote:


Generally, a U.S. consular post will not issue a new visa unless the previous one is
within 60 days of expiring. Therefore, you could apply for a new F-1 visa now.

By the way, I hope you realize that if you do not plan to leave the U.S., you do not
have to have a valid visa. You only need to maintain continuous full-time progress
toward your degree, and keep your I-20 valid.


I hope I answered this.


When a visa application is being made for study or research in various fields of
science or technology, the consulate may be required or may choose to contact the
Department of State (DOS) for a Security Advisory Opinion. Such requests could take 4
to 6 weeks to be processed.

Students or scholars who will travel outside the U.S. and who need to make
application for a U.S. visa prior to reentry should consult with their international
office before traveling. They should also check with the consulate or embassy where
they will apply for the visa to determine that particular consular post's policies
and procedures.

The SAO process requires a minimum of 15 days. It normally takes four to six weeks,
and it can take months. If a person applies for a visa in Canada or Mexico, and the
consulate determines that an SAO must be obtained, the person may return to the U.S.
using automatic visa revalidation, and wait in the U.S. for the consulate to be ready
to issue the visa. The person could then make a second trip to the consulate to
obtain the visa. The applicant may also apply for a visa in his or her home country,
of course, but the applicant takes the risk of being required to wait in the home
country for the entire SAO processing time. For this reason, applying in Canada or
Mexico may be advantageous for some.

See http://www.cyrusmehta.com/a-143.htm.



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.