Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

The photo one submits with the N-400

The photo one submits with the N-400

Old May 17th 2012, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default The photo one submits with the N-400

What happens to the photos submitted with the N400 naturalization application? Does it become part of any "card" issued to you?
Old May 17th 2012, 2:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The photo one submits with the N-400

Originally Posted by jmood
What happens to the photos submitted with the N400 naturalization application? Does it become part of any "card" issued to you?
Yes, it gets attached to your naturalization certificate. So make sure it's a good photo!!

We didn't know where Sadegh's photo would end up, we thought it was just for his immigration file, so we got a really bad picture done at Walgreens, it was discolored and pretty ugly. I'm surprised USCIS even accepted it, but they did....and now it's permanently on his naturalization certificate.

Rene
Old May 17th 2012, 3:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, it gets attached to your naturalization certificate. So make sure it's a good photo!!

We didn't know where Sadegh's photo would end up, we thought it was just for his immigration file, so we got a really bad picture done at Walgreens, it was discolored and pretty ugly. I'm surprised USCIS even accepted it, but they did....and now it's permanently on his naturalization certificate.

Rene
Mine is a nasty one too. Turns out they rejected the good picture I sent I forgot to take my teenie earrings out, so on the day of the swearing in ceremony they had a photographer set up in an alcove re doing pics and mine looked awful. It was close to 100f and we'd been stood in line outside for ages so I looked like something the cat dragged in.
Old May 17th 2012, 3:53 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

So, a typical passport photo then?

What does one do with the '"Naturalization Certificate"? Is it framed in the living room? Or filed in a box? or is it a credit card thing like the green card that you have to carry around? Do you need to show it to authorities at any time?
Old May 17th 2012, 4:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH

What does one do with the '"Naturalization Certificate"? Is it framed in the living room? Or filed in a box? or is it a credit card thing like the green card that you have to carry around? Do you need to show it to authorities at any time?
It's an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper, not a small card to carry around. You can frame it if you want, we just filed Sadegh's away in our "important papers" file drawer.

Interestingly, if you are a USC, you are not supposed to have to prove it. Although I'm sure there are certain cases where you must present it to some authority at some point, for some reason, if they question your status.

Rene
Old May 17th 2012, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

It's sooo hard to get a good passport spec photo in this country. I needed to renew my UK passport and went through 3 different places and all were horrible, in the end I just sent off my application today with the bad photo so as not to delay any longer. So I dunno, maybe I'll continue searching for the sake of the naturalization certificate. I have 1 month to go.
Old May 17th 2012, 4:34 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Hi - My naturalization certificate has the picture on it that was taken when my fingerprints were done not the ones that were submitted with our application.

I also took 2 more with me today as it advised that.. but they didn't need them, I have ALOT of passport photos milling around now
Old May 17th 2012, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to show it to SSA to update you social security record and to the election people to register to vote and to the passport office to get your first passport. Often they set up tables outside the oath ceremony so you can do them right away. After that store it in a safe place.
Old May 17th 2012, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Hi - My naturalization certificate has the picture on it that was taken when my fingerprints were done not the ones that were submitted with our application.
Hmmm, so how come it works differently for different folks?
Old May 17th 2012, 5:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You will need to show it to SSA to update you social security record and to the election people to register to vote and to the passport office to get your first passport. Often they set up tables outside the oath ceremony so you can do them right away. After that store it in a safe place.
That part was not apparent to me. What changes? Thanks.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Interesting thread - I'm about to get my photos done and partly dreading it!

The photo on my 10 year green card is terrible
Old May 17th 2012, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband took my photos with his cell phone (against a white wall), and I printed them on photo paper on a regular home printer. They were accepted, and it didn't cost us anything. I'll know tomorrow at the oath ceremony if they'll want to retake them or not.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That part was not apparent to me. What changes? Thanks.
You need to update SSA with your status. You'll likely receive a new SS card in the mail (same # though). Most government agencies connect to the SSA database to confirm your status... so it's important that SSA knows you're a USC.

Ian
Old May 17th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmabl
My husband took my photos with his cell phone (against a white wall), and I printed them on photo paper on a regular home printer. They were accepted, and it didn't cost us anything. I'll know tomorrow at the oath ceremony if they'll want to retake them or not.
Doubtful.

The certificates have likely already been printed.
Old May 17th 2012, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jmood
Hmmm, so how come it works differently for different folks?
For the obvious reason...because it's USCIS. LOL

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.