Philly AOS interview

Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:51 am
  #1  
Jshong
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Philly AOS interview

Yesterday we attended the AOS interview at Philly DO and I got the I551
stamp in my passport.
Our interview was scheduled on 8:30am and we got there by 8:15am.
The interview took only 10-15 mins and it was very relaxing.

The officer wanted to know/see
1) whether we have same address on our DL's.
2) the most recent (2003) tax return.
3) whether we changed our jobs since AOS filed.
4) how we met, when we were married

And then he asked me to surrender my (a) current EAC (b) valid AP since I
don't need them anymore.
I don't need them anymore?? Wow. That's the point I know my case will be
approved.
I added that I had the AP but I couldn't use them cause it took so long to
get it.
He said that "I apologize on behalf of the USCIS and I would change it if I
were the director."

After that, he asked the routine questions like whether I am a member of
terrorist, something like that.

He said "Please show me any other supporting documents if you want".
I gave him the followings
1) lease agreements.
2) auto insurance (named both)
3) utility bills
4) joint accounts
5) job letters and recent paychecks.
6) letter from a friend
7) some photos
After briefly taking a look at them, he said he would bring the stamp.

He stamped I-551.
He added that the stamp is usually valid for a year but he couldn't give me
a year because my passport expires earlier than that.
So I would recommend to extend your passport before the interview if your
passport expires soon.

I got out of the building 9am. So it took me less than an hour including
waiting time.

I want to say thank you all who shares your experience/information which
makes my AOS a lot easier.
Good luck.

-Jay

Here is my timeline.
09/22/03 : Filed I-130/I-485 at Philly DO (in person)
09/25/03 : Filed EAD application (e-file through MSC)
10/21/03 : Biometrics (for EAD)
12/30/03 : EAD approved (from MSC)
04/15/04 : AP mailed to Philly DO (sent to MSC)
07/15/04 : AP approved (from MSC)
07/xx/04 : Status inquiry through 1-800 number
09/03/04 : I-485 receipt (from Philly DO) (after one year since filed)
09/04/04 : FP notice (from Philly DO)
09/14/04: FP at Philly ASC
09/25/04: interview scheduled on 10/20/04
10/20/04: AOS interview - I551 stamp
 
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:44 am
  #2  
Capt. Tuttle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

jshong wrote:

    > 04/15/04 : AP mailed to Philly DO (sent to MSC)
    > 07/15/04 : AP approved (from MSC)
    >
    >

Is this correct? AP approved in exactly 3 months!!??!! How?
I have called, written and called in a number of favors and we have
heard nothing.
I'm about to go "postal" and my wife is living at the mail box.
 
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:10 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 33
kanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Philly AOS interview

we have our appointment next month, who was the officer? Our appt letter says "officer A". we were just wondering if you got the same person.
also, any advice before we go.
Thank you
kanch is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:40 am
  #4  
Jshong
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

I mailed my I-131 to Philly DO on 4/15/04 (without knowing that I have to
send it to MSC) and it was rerouted to MSC. The receipt date on NOA from MSC
was 4/29/04.
The AP was approved on 7/15/04 and I received it on 7/29/04.

I was planning to attend my sister's wedding on 7/11.
I used every possible ways (writing a letter to MSC, Philly DO and my
congress person) to get the emergency parole but I haven't heard anything.
When I visited Philly DO, they said the wedding cannot be an emergency. I
don't know if any of these effort speeded up the process. But it was too
late when I finally got my AP.
Anyway, that's my story of wasting $165.



"Capt. Tuttle" wrote in message
    > jshong wrote:
    >> 04/15/04 : AP mailed to Philly DO (sent to MSC)
    >> 07/15/04 : AP approved (from MSC)
    > Is this correct? AP approved in exactly 3 months!!??!! How?
    > I have called, written and called in a number of favors and we have heard
    > nothing.
    > I'm about to go "postal" and my wife is living at the mail box.
 
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:47 am
  #5  
Jshong
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

My letter also says "officer A". But my interviewing officer told us that
the officer who was supposed to interview us were out sick that day.
Unfortunately, I don't remember his name but he is really kind and nice.
Good luck to you.

"kanch" wrote in message
    > we have our appointment next month, who was the officer? Our appt letter
    > says "officer A". we were just wondering if you got the same person.
    > also, any advice before we go.
    > Thank you
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:17 am
  #6  
Capt. Tuttle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

jshong wrote:

    > I mailed my I-131 to Philly DO on 4/15/04 (without knowing that I have
    > to send it to MSC) and it was rerouted to MSC. The receipt date on NOA
    > from MSC was 4/29/04.
    > The AP was approved on 7/15/04 and I received it on 7/29/04.
    > I was planning to attend my sister's wedding on 7/11.
    > I used every possible ways (writing a letter to MSC, Philly DO and my
    > congress person) to get the emergency parole but I haven't heard
    > anything. When I visited Philly DO, they said the wedding cannot be an
    > emergency. I don't know if any of these effort speeded up the process.
    > But it was too late when I finally got my AP.
    > Anyway, that's my story of wasting $165.

Thanks.
My wife's son is going to get married. That is the reason for our
request. I know there is no way that would be an emergency. We filed
with Orlando and it was sent to MSC. Our NOA is 3/26/04.
Thanks again for the information.
 
Old Oct 21st 2004, 2:17 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 33
kanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Philly AOS interview

Jshong
Thank you so much and congrat!!!!
kanch is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:11 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: PA - Philadelphia DO
Posts: 460
Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

[QUOTE=Jshong]My letter also says "officer A". But my interviewing officer told us that
the officer who was supposed to interview us were out sick that day.
Unfortunately, I don't remember his name but he is really kind and nice.
Good luck to you.

I think this was the same officer who interviewed us. He actually acknowledged that the inefficiency of the agency has a big effect on people's lives! He also appeared to be very experienced at his job and knew how to work around things that were out of the norm. First name of Timothy, maybe?
Pallyn is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:09 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 312
no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

Hi, I hope you won't mind me asking a few questions. Our interview is in a couple of days.
1) Did you take the applicant's tax returns too or you did take only the petitioner's ( the U.S. citizen ) tax returns ?

2) Did you take your wedding album or you selected 20 -25 pictures from the time you first met to the time of the wedding (including a few wedding pictures) ?

3) Your passport expires pretty soon and the officer could not put a one year stamp on it. Where you advised what to do, because I am kind of in the same situation.


Please get back with your answer, I trully appreciate.



Originally Posted by Jshong
Yesterday we attended the AOS interview at Philly DO and I got the I551
stamp in my passport.
Our interview was scheduled on 8:30am and we got there by 8:15am.
The interview took only 10-15 mins and it was very relaxing.

The officer wanted to know/see
1) whether we have same address on our DL's.
2) the most recent (2003) tax return.
3) whether we changed our jobs since AOS filed.
4) how we met, when we were married

And then he asked me to surrender my (a) current EAC (b) valid AP since I
don't need them anymore.
I don't need them anymore?? Wow. That's the point I know my case will be
approved.
I added that I had the AP but I couldn't use them cause it took so long to
get it.
He said that "I apologize on behalf of the USCIS and I would change it if I
were the director."

After that, he asked the routine questions like whether I am a member of
terrorist, something like that.

He said "Please show me any other supporting documents if you want".
I gave him the followings
1) lease agreements.
2) auto insurance (named both)
3) utility bills
4) joint accounts
5) job letters and recent paychecks.
6) letter from a friend
7) some photos
After briefly taking a look at them, he said he would bring the stamp.

He stamped I-551.
He added that the stamp is usually valid for a year but he couldn't give me
a year because my passport expires earlier than that.
So I would recommend to extend your passport before the interview if your
passport expires soon.

I got out of the building 9am. So it took me less than an hour including
waiting time.

I want to say thank you all who shares your experience/information which
makes my AOS a lot easier.
Good luck.

-Jay

Here is my timeline.
09/22/03 : Filed I-130/I-485 at Philly DO (in person)
09/25/03 : Filed EAD application (e-file through MSC)
10/21/03 : Biometrics (for EAD)
12/30/03 : EAD approved (from MSC)
04/15/04 : AP mailed to Philly DO (sent to MSC)
07/15/04 : AP approved (from MSC)
07/xx/04 : Status inquiry through 1-800 number
09/03/04 : I-485 receipt (from Philly DO) (after one year since filed)
09/04/04 : FP notice (from Philly DO)
09/14/04: FP at Philly ASC
09/25/04: interview scheduled on 10/20/04
10/20/04: AOS interview - I551 stamp
no-spam is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2004, 3:22 am
  #10  
Jshong
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

"no-spam" wrote in message
    > 1) Did you take the applicant's tax returns too or you did take only the
    > petitioner's ( the U.S. citizen ) tax returns ?

We jointly file our tax return last year. But the interviewer initially
asked for tax returns of USC not mine. I would bring mine too. No harm.

    > 2) Did you take your wedding album or you selected 20 -25 pictures from
    > the time you first met to the time of the wedding (including a few
    > wedding pictures) ?

We don't even have a wedding album. I just brought some pictures (maybe 15)
where we're both on it. The interviewer wanted to keep some of them as an
evidence so I gave him two of them.

    > 3) Your passport expires pretty soon and the officer could not put a one
    > year stamp on it. Where you advised what to do, because I am kind of
    > in the same situation.

Mine expires sometime next feb. I should extend my passport first before I
attend the interview. You could contact your embassy to request an
extension.

Good luck.
 
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:31 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 312
no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

Thanks alot for your reply.
Tomorrow is our BIG day. I hope what we have will satisfy the immigration officer.


Originally Posted by Jshong
"no-spam" wrote in message
    > 1) Did you take the applicant's tax returns too or you did take only the
    > petitioner's ( the U.S. citizen ) tax returns ?

We jointly file our tax return last year. But the interviewer initially
asked for tax returns of USC not mine. I would bring mine too. No harm.

    > 2) Did you take your wedding album or you selected 20 -25 pictures from
    > the time you first met to the time of the wedding (including a few
    > wedding pictures) ?

We don't even have a wedding album. I just brought some pictures (maybe 15)
where we're both on it. The interviewer wanted to keep some of them as an
evidence so I gave him two of them.

    > 3) Your passport expires pretty soon and the officer could not put a one
    > year stamp on it. Where you advised what to do, because I am kind of
    > in the same situation.

Mine expires sometime next feb. I should extend my passport first before I
attend the interview. You could contact your embassy to request an
extension.

Good luck.
no-spam is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:46 pm
  #12  
foxy little minx
 
bequibar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Mexicana in Chicago
Posts: 770
bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Philly AOS interview

Thanks for the detailed experience!

I'm supposed to have my AOS interview in April of next year so I'm trying to prepare... and you were very helpful!
bequibar is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.