Petitioning for parents

Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

columbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Petitioning for parents

Hi, Some advice please if someone can help?
Once you have obtained citizenship, can you petition for your parents green card immediately or do you have to wait for a specific period of time before doing so? Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petitioning for parents

Originally Posted by columbo
Hi, Some advice please if someone can help?
Once you have obtained citizenship, can you petition for your parents green card immediately or do you have to wait for a specific period of time before doing so? Thanks.
You can submit an I-130 for a parent on the same day you receive the naturalization certificate. There is no waiting period.

Keep in mind that you aren't petitioning your parents for a green card. You're submitting a petition to declare the relationship between you and your parent. After the petition is approved, the parent applies for an Immigrant Visa. When the parent enters the USA using the Immigrant Visa, they immediately become a US Permanent Resident (i.e., they get their green card).

The Immigrant Visa process from start to finish (filing I-130 to visa interview) takes about 8 to 10 months.

If you have further questions, please post in the US Immigration forum.

Rene
Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

columbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Petitioning for parents

Many thanks Noorah101, that answers my question perfectly.