Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Permanent resident being made redundant

Permanent resident being made redundant

Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Millski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent resident being made redundant

I have been a legal permanent resident for a couple of weeks shy of a year, I have remained with my sponsoring company since becoming a PR. Unfortunately, with the installation of a new CEO, our UK parent company has decided to massively scale back our overseas operations and my office is one of the ones being closed. I was offered the choice of returning to work at our UK headquarters or taking redundancy, since it was a pretty generous redundancy package I chose the latter and my employment will officially end on the 29th of this month.

Ultimately I would like to apply for citizenship and I just wanted to check whether I should request any documentation/evidence from my soon-to-be-former employer that would be prudent to include with my naturalization application? I have a separation agreement signed by my UK manager; would some sort of letter stating that I am being made redundant also help? As far as I understand it my residency is not in jeopardy, however if anyone has any information to the contrary I'd be very interested to hear about it!

I'm also planning to take a 2 - 3 month break and return to the UK to spend some time with my parents while I've got a chance, is there anything I need to do ahead of time to give me the best chance of being let back in upon my return?! I have bought a house and have a mortgage, car note, bank accounts etc. I'm hoping this will be sufficient to demonstrate that I intend to maintain my residency?

Thanks all,

Chris
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent resident being made redundant

You cannot apply for US citizenship until you have been a PR for 5 years. Redundancy/loss of job will not affect your PR status...neither will 2/3 months overseas.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 25th 2019 at 9:54 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You cannot apply for US citizenship until you have been a PR for 5 years. Redundancy/loss of job will not affect your PR status...neither will 2/3 months overseas.
Awesome, thank you for the confirmation Jerseygirl. I'm hoping I can find another job as quickly as possible when I return from my 'sabbatical' in the UK, and then knuckle down and stay out of trouble for the next 4 and a bit years!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 10:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millski
Awesome, thank you for the confirmation Jerseygirl. I'm hoping I can find another job as quickly as possible when I return from my 'sabbatical' in the UK, and then knuckle down and stay out of trouble for the next 4 and a bit years!
Make sure you keep a log of dates and countries of travel, as you will need the info when applying for citizenship.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

I certainly will, thanks!
Old Nov 26th 2019, 6:48 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

When you file you give 5 years details for all, so if you have been PR for 1 year now, and file in 5 years you would give no details of now. If you file in 4 years you would include the last year.

as long as your trip is less than 6 months It should not cause an issue. Just make sure you don’t abandon your PR... keep your apartment / house and keep records of paying your bills and make sure you file as a full year resident both federal and state for tax. not for the US perspective but watch you days in the UK to make sure you don’t become a UK tax resident as well via presence there and remember it looks at multiple years.

there was talk of new rules about restrictions on gov programs, so it’s probably safest to continue your medical insurance with COBRA and not risk the exchanges.

i believe filing for state UI (if you are in the country seeking a job is OK) it’s not a benefit it’s insurance paid by your employer... but it will depend on how you departed you role if your eligible, voluntary may make you ineligible.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about that.

Best of luck, and hopefully you find something better soon. What line of work are you in?
Old Dec 31st 2019, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks TexanScot and sorry for the delayed response, I'm in forensic metallurgy and failure analysis. I somehow managed to pass the exam and get my PE license so with any luck that'll help in finding another position.

So when applying for citizenship, you only have to provide information/documentation for the 5 years immediately preceding your application date?