Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Pending AOS, biometrics, and change of DOs

Wikiposts

Pending AOS, biometrics, and change of DOs

Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

apviaaos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pending AOS, biometrics, and change of DOs

AOS pending due to namecheck for two years. Just received a letter from the local office stating that "to continue processing your application, you must go to an INS application support center to have your biometrics and fingerprints taken." My initial biometrics/fingerprints expired about 5 months ago. At the local office case inquiry appointment at the time, I was told that I won't receive a new biometrics/fingerprint appointment letter until all of my security checks are cleared, which seems to be a regular procedure judging by other applicants' reports. It appears then that my namecheck has been cleared and that soon after I re-take my fingerprints this coming week I may get approval. Finally to my dilemma: I'll be moving to another area under a different DO early next month. Given that my approval may be imminent, I'm tempted to postpone reporting change of address to avoid the most likely lengthy transfer of files to another DO that is bound to protract my adjudication. Instead I may provide another address at my friend's residence in the area where my approval etc can be sent. Is this prudent and problematic? Formally, you are given 30 days to report change of address. What is the reasonable informal limit? Thanks

Last edited by apviaaos; Jan 14th 2007 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pending AOS, biometrics, and change of DOs

You have 10 days to report your change of address with an AR-11 to the Homeland Security.

As for quick bio results, personally, I think you are dreaming. Nothing quick about biometrics these days but here's hoping you sought out your address issue.

Originally Posted by apviaaos
AOS pending due to namecheck for two years. Just received a letter from the local office stating that "to continue processing your application, you must go to an INS application support center to have your biometrics and fingerprints taken." My initial biometrics/fingerprints expired about 5 months ago. At the local office case inquiry appointment at the time, I was told that I won't receive a new biometrics/fingerprint appointment letter until all of my security checks are cleared, which seems to be a regular procedure judging by other applicants' reports. It appears then that my namecheck has been cleared and that soon after I re-take my fingerprints this coming week I may get approval. Finally to my dilemma: I'll be moving to another area under a different DO early next month. Given that my approval may be imminent, I'm tempted to postpone reporting change of address to avoid the most likely lengthy transfer of files to another DO that is bound to protract my adjudication. Instead I may provide another address at my friend's residence in the area where my approval etc can be sent. Is this prudent and problematic? Formally, you are given 30 days to report change of address. What is the reasonable informal limit? Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

apviaaos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
You have 10 days to report your change of address with an AR-11 to the Homeland Security.

As for quick bio results, personally, I think you are dreaming. Nothing quick about biometrics these days but here's hoping you sought out your address issue.
Most of the delays related to biometrics are tied to namechecks. If one assumes that my namecheck has been cleared, the biometrics should not take longer than 2-3 months to clear and that is 'quick' in my mindset, given my overall protracted timeframe.

P.S. The spirit of the saying appended in your signature is bolder than--and perhaps in some existential tension with--the one expressed in your answer to me.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apviaaos
Given that my approval may be imminent, I'm tempted to postpone reporting change of address to avoid the most likely lengthy transfer of files to another DO that is bound to protract my adjudication.
You are required, by law, to submit the AR-11 within 10 days of your move. The chances that this will actually result in USCIS redirecting your mail is slim.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

jimothy is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember that there are two things to do regarding change of address. The AR-11 must be filed within 10 days but you also need to separately change the address on any pending case by either calling the helpline, going in to the district office, or preferably both.

My advice would be to delay the change of address on the case itself. Alternatively change everything and realise that it will take an age to actually move your file. I filed change of address in March 06 and my file was moved in December 06 after several calls to the 800 number and two Infopass visits.

Jim