Passports

Old Oct 24th 2019, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

dava22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passports

Hi Everyone

Well get to do my oath ceremony tomorrow, had to wait about two months for the date and finally arrived here in Phoenix.
What I want to know is do I keep my British passport or just use the American one, is there any benefit for the British one, when I travel home I know the wife will have her American passport and if I use my Brit one to go home with then we will have to stand in separate lines at passport control, unless things have changed back home.
So what are the benefits of keeping my Brit one, if there is one.
Thanks.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 4:43 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports

Originally Posted by dava22
Hi Everyone

Well get to do my oath ceremony tomorrow, had to wait about two months for the date and finally arrived here in Phoenix.
What I want to know is do I keep my British passport or just use the American one, is there any benefit for the British one, when I travel home I know the wife will have her American passport and if I use my Brit one to go home with then we will have to stand in separate lines at passport control, unless things have changed back home.
So what are the benefits of keeping my Brit one, if there is one.
Thanks.
I have kept all of mine current, I still take my wife and kids in the British citizen line if the premium line looks to long or full of people who may take more processing time, although it’s harder with all the automated gates, as you need to get to see a person. The main advantages are that some countries have different visa rules for different citizenships. When deciding which one to ensure a country on it’s best to understand which would best be able to help you if an issue happened rather than just cheapest visa...
Old Oct 24th 2019, 11:19 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

I have kept all of mine current, I still take my wife and kids in the British citizen line if the premium line looks to long or full of people who may take more processing time, although it’s harder with all the automated gates, as you need to get to see a person. The main advantages are that some countries have different visa rules for different citizenships. When deciding which one to ensure a country on it’s best to understand which would best be able to help you if an issue happened rather than just cheapest visa...
I shall keep both of mine current once I am able to naturalise. I have been to Brazil 3 times in the last year on business, with a UK passport no visa is required, my US colleague required a visa. I like the thought of future flexibility.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 11:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Travelling in and out of the US will require your US passport. Since US citizens can now avail themselves of the ePassport gates at the UK border there's less incentive to maintain a British passport for short trips to the UK. A British passport can be useful for travelling to certain countries where British citizens enjoy visa-free access and US citizens - Brazil has already been mentioned as an example - and if you anticipate a potential need to return to the UK longer term at short notice, e.g. to care for elderly parents.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 12:18 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I knew I had see a list for this:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/h...ntl/index.html
would be nice if there was somewhere to query the list with multiple passports to see the coverage with a combination rather than 1.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 2:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
would be nice if there was somewhere to query the list with multiple passports to see the coverage with a combination rather than 1.
I find the appropriate Wikipedia articles useful.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
There is. It's called TIMATIC and is used by the airlines to check travellers' documents validity for their journeys. It's what they use to decide whether to let you board or not. There's quite a few public portals to it, such as https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/
Old Oct 31st 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
There is. It's called TIMATIC and is used by the airlines to check travellers' documents validity for their journeys. It's what they use to decide whether to let you board or not. There's quite a few public portals to it, such as https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/
Didn’t realise there was a public portal, thanks!