Wikiposts

is passport valid?

Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

dodge is just really nicedodge is just really nicedodge is just really nicedodge is just really nicedodge is just really nicedodge is just really nicedodge is just really nicedodge is just really nicedodge is just really nice
Default is passport valid?

My wife is a US citizen and holds a US passport, we married 3 years ago and she never updated it to her new married name. this morning we were going to renew it and expedite so she should have it back in 2 to 3 weeks. The reason for this is that my mother in the UK has been taken seriously ill. I got a call this morning telling me i need to get there asap.
my question, would my wife be able to travel to the UK using the passport she has plus marriage certificate?
i've searched around and it seems there are slightly different rules to renewing after a year of marriage over less than a year but i cant find anything about travelling with the wrong name.
any suggestions?
i can travel alone if i have to, but my wifes support would be invaluable.
sorry for rambling, i'm in shock... knew it was coming but not so soon
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is passport valid?

Originally Posted by dodge
... would my wife be able to travel to the UK using the passport she has plus marriage certificate?
Her tickets must match the name on her passport... or she likely won't even be allowed on the plane. Also, she must have a valid passport. An expired passport is not a valid travel document.

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you just book her ticket in her maiden name and travel on her US passport as it is, then change it all when she gets back to the US, seeing it's an emergency. Lots of women don't even change their name now days anyway. And carry the marriage certificate to prove the marriage. No idea why seeing you aren't moving there, just going to see Mum.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a US citizen and holds a US passport, we married 3 years ago and she never updated it to her new married name. this morning we were going to renew it and expedite so she should have it back in 2 to 3 weeks. The reason for this is that my mother in the UK has been taken seriously ill. I got a call this morning telling me i need to get there asap.
my question, would my wife be able to travel to the UK using the passport she has plus marriage certificate?
i've searched around and it seems there are slightly different rules to renewing after a year of marriage over less than a year but i cant find anything about travelling with the wrong name.
any suggestions?
i can travel alone if i have to, but my wifes support would be invaluable.
sorry for rambling, i'm in shock... knew it was coming but not so soon

If you're willing to go to the passport office I believe you can obtain a new PP the same day. Alternatively if you contact your main post office or court house etc...they may offer a 24 hour service but it will cost you.

We hear about people in a similar situation time and time again...it's so important to keep your passport up to date.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a US citizen and holds a US passport...
Is her current passport unexpired?

...this morning we were going to renew it and expedite so she should have it back in 2 to 3 weeks.
Were you actually going to renew an expired passport, or just going to change the current unexpired passport to her married name?

The reason for this is that my mother in the UK has been taken seriously ill. I got a call this morning telling me i need to get there asap.
I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

If her current passport is unexpired, it's OK if it's still in her maiden name. Book her ticket to match the name on her passport, and carry a copy of the marriage certificate just in case. If her current passport is expired, she can't travel on it.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

When does her current passport expire?