Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:08 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of
Default Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the turnaround time is for passports with K1/CR1/IR1 visas through DX Secure in London? It seems like it used to be 3-5 working days from interview approval to passport receipt, but the ConOffs seem to have been advising people of late that it will take 7-10 working days. The courier company though still quotes the previous "3-5 working days".
The same thing happened to me yesterday and I know it's happened to other people in this forum lately - the ConOff (who I tend to believe more) said 7-10working days, while the courier company said 3-5.

(I know the courier has to wait for the Embassy to process and hand it in for delivery, so the turnaround time depends on the Embassy by 99%).

So I'm just interested to hear what the actual turnaround time has been for people, particularly those who were approved in the past month or two.
I'm preparing my notice letter for work but I'm reluctant to turn it in before I get my actual visa in hand, so I'm going to wait till then. But I'd like to know, based on other people's recent experiences, if it's realistic to expect it by early next week (the 3-5 days rule) or instead from mid next week to early the week after (the 7-10 days rule).

Many thanks!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Don't you have to give a month's notice in the UK if you are leaving your employment? Anyway, I would go by the 7 to 10 days. Assuming you won't be flying out the moment it is in your hands.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:27 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't you have to give a month's notice in the UK if you are leaving your employment? Anyway, I would go by the 7 to 10 days. Assuming you won't be flying out the moment it is in your hands.
Haha, I wish I only had a month
My job requires 3 months' notice before I quit , which is why I'm so eager to get the visa in hand, to get the ball rolling, as 3 months is quite a long time. Luckily I have 3 weeks' vacation left for the year, so I'm hoping I can reduce my notice period by taking my remaining leave.
Our planned travel time is not till May to June this year.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C_C
Haha, I wish I only had a month
My job requires 3 months' notice before I quit , which is why I'm so eager to get the visa in hand, to get the ball rolling, as 3 months is quite a long time. Luckily I have 3 weeks' vacation left for the year, so I'm hoping I can reduce my notice period by taking my remaining leave.
Our planned travel time is not till May to June this year.

Then I don't understand what your issue is?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:41 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

Then I don't understand what your issue is?
Like I said, the sooner I can get the ball rolling with giving my notice etc. the better, as 3 months is a long time already. The reason we can't plan on moving earlier than May/June is exactly because of this 3 month-notice requirement with my job.
Of course, plus or minus a week is not a huge deal, but I'm also interested in other people's recent experiences, as the ConOffs and DX Security seem to be giving contradictory info lately .
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:56 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Can't you just quit your job C_C the day you receive your Visa?

Or are you concerned about any possible reference a future USA employer may receive?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:04 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brucky
Can't you just quit your job C_C the day you receive your Visa?

Or are you concerned about any possible reference a future USA employer may receive?
You mean get the visa and not show up for work the next day?
I'd love to but I don't think I'll be doing it. It's not about the reference as much, it's more that I'd be feeling guilty that I didn't honour my contract and that I l let them down without any notice
Plus everyone who's ever resigned in my department has always kept to their contracts and served their notice period, so if I did that I'd be leaving with the reputation of a bitch
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

When I got mine back in October the ConOff said 7-10 days but I got it back within 2 working days. I think that was because I had inadvertently paid DX extra for the faster turnaround, so 3-5 will probably be right for the standard service.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:07 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by C_C
You mean get the visa and not show up for work the next day?
I'd love to but I don't think I'll be doing it. It's not about the reference as much, it's more that I'd be feeling guilty that I didn't honour my contract and that I l let them down without any notice
Plus everyone who's ever resigned in my department has always kept to their contracts and served their notice period, so if I did that I'd be leaving with the reputation of a bitch
LOL!

I have to give only a week, which I'm going to do. The suits above me at work know I'm leaving for America 'sometime' in the future, but I've given them no hint at all. I think maybe Apr - June.

[edit] - In fact, if things are processed quickly, , I would like to finish off my footie season ticket, but I doubt my American based Wife would approve!!!!!!

Last edited by Brucky; Feb 2nd 2011 at 3:09 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the company you work for. The majority pay monthly and would ask for a minimum of one months notice and others at least 1 weeks notice.

My employer knows what is happening as we have a good relationship and said provided my application for visa to the US is approved I could well be moving in Sept/Oct time if all goes to plan and being straight forward and they are fine with that.

If its not approved I will be staying with them.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:24 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by C_C
Like I said, the sooner I can get the ball rolling with giving my notice etc. the better, as 3 months is a long time already. The reason we can't plan on moving earlier than May/June is exactly because of this 3 month-notice requirement with my job.
Of course, plus or minus a week is not a huge deal, but I'm also interested in other people's recent experiences, as the ConOffs and DX Security seem to be giving contradictory info lately .

I still don't understand. You had your visa approved. If you have to hand in three months notice, why are you waiting for?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:00 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

I still don't understand. You had your visa approved. If you have to hand in three months notice, why are you waiting for?
Yes, you're right. Call it an obsession or whatever, but I don't want to do anything big before having the actual visa in hand (e.g. quit job, give notice for our flat, buy plane tickets etc.). I guess it just feels more secure to wait till I get the visa, 'cause then I will know 100% without a doubt that I'm leaving. I already know it of course, but I'm yet to receive the documentary confirmation which is the visa
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C_C
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the turnaround time is for passports with K1/CR1/IR1 visas through DX Secure in London? It seems like it used to be 3-5 working days from interview approval to passport receipt, but the ConOffs seem to have been advising people of late that it will take 7-10 working days. The courier company though still quotes the previous "3-5 working days".
The same thing happened to me yesterday and I know it's happened to other people in this forum lately - the ConOff (who I tend to believe more) said 7-10working days, while the courier company said 3-5.

(I know the courier has to wait for the Embassy to process and hand it in for delivery, so the turnaround time depends on the Embassy by 99%).

So I'm just interested to hear what the actual turnaround time has been for people, particularly those who were approved in the past month or two.
I'm preparing my notice letter for work but I'm reluctant to turn it in before I get my actual visa in hand, so I'm going to wait till then. But I'd like to know, based on other people's recent experiences, if it's realistic to expect it by early next week (the 3-5 days rule) or instead from mid next week to early the week after (the 7-10 days rule).

Many thanks!

Mine approved 15 Dec - in hand 28th Dec
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C_C
My job requires 3 months' notice before I quit...
What are they going to do... fire you?

... so if I did that I'd be leaving with the reputation of a bitch
Think of it as being a trend setter! Do you think 3 months is a reasonable time for notice? I sure as hell don't! I wouldn't be surprised if others at your work felt the same... but are just too timid to take a stand. One thing's for sure - they won't ever forget you!

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What are they going to do... fire you?

Think of it as being a trend setter! Do you think 3 months is a reasonable time for notice? I sure as hell don't! I wouldn't be surprised if others at your work felt the same... but are just too timid to take a stand. One thing's for sure - they won't ever forget you!

Ian

True, all that.. time to get American, C_C. I notice that this giving a long notice is definitely a British trait!

I applaud your choice, just understand that you're choosing it. As for the 'waiting for the visa in hand before even giving a hella-long notice period...' I would not be as conservative as you in that choice. BUT, if you choose it, you dont' get to post anymore about 'how long til the passport gets returned'.. lol, you will just have to sleep in that bed you made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.