British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Passport turnaround time after interview approval? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/passport-turnaround-time-after-interview-approval-703480/)

C_C Feb 2nd 2011 2:08 pm

Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the turnaround time is for passports with K1/CR1/IR1 visas through DX Secure in London? It seems like it used to be 3-5 working days from interview approval to passport receipt, but the ConOffs seem to have been advising people of late that it will take 7-10 working days. The courier company though still quotes the previous "3-5 working days".
The same thing happened to me yesterday and I know it's happened to other people in this forum lately - the ConOff (who I tend to believe more) said 7-10working days, while the courier company said 3-5.

(I know the courier has to wait for the Embassy to process and hand it in for delivery, so the turnaround time depends on the Embassy by 99%).

So I'm just interested to hear what the actual turnaround time has been for people, particularly those who were approved in the past month or two.
I'm preparing my notice letter for work but I'm reluctant to turn it in before I get my actual visa in hand, so I'm going to wait till then. But I'd like to know, based on other people's recent experiences, if it's realistic to expect it by early next week (the 3-5 days rule) or instead from mid next week to early the week after (the 7-10 days rule).

Many thanks! :)

Rete Feb 2nd 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Don't you have to give a month's notice in the UK if you are leaving your employment? Anyway, I would go by the 7 to 10 days. Assuming you won't be flying out the moment it is in your hands.

C_C Feb 2nd 2011 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9146985)
Don't you have to give a month's notice in the UK if you are leaving your employment? Anyway, I would go by the 7 to 10 days. Assuming you won't be flying out the moment it is in your hands.

Haha, I wish I only had a month :p
My job requires 3 months' notice before I quit :sneaky:, which is why I'm so eager to get the visa in hand, to get the ball rolling, as 3 months is quite a long time. Luckily I have 3 weeks' vacation left for the year, so I'm hoping I can reduce my notice period by taking my remaining leave.
Our planned travel time is not till May to June this year.

Rete Feb 2nd 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by C_C (Post 9147004)
Haha, I wish I only had a month :p
My job requires 3 months' notice before I quit :sneaky:, which is why I'm so eager to get the visa in hand, to get the ball rolling, as 3 months is quite a long time. Luckily I have 3 weeks' vacation left for the year, so I'm hoping I can reduce my notice period by taking my remaining leave.
Our planned travel time is not till May to June this year.

Then I don't understand what your issue is?

C_C Feb 2nd 2011 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9147012)
Then I don't understand what your issue is?

Like I said, the sooner I can get the ball rolling with giving my notice etc. the better, as 3 months is a long time already. The reason we can't plan on moving earlier than May/June is exactly because of this 3 month-notice requirement with my job.
Of course, plus or minus a week is not a huge deal, but I'm also interested in other people's recent experiences, as the ConOffs and DX Security seem to be giving contradictory info lately ;).

Brucky Feb 2nd 2011 2:56 pm

Can't you just quit your job C_C the day you receive your Visa?

Or are you concerned about any possible reference a future USA employer may receive?

C_C Feb 2nd 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Brucky (Post 9147054)
Can't you just quit your job C_C the day you receive your Visa?

Or are you concerned about any possible reference a future USA employer may receive?

You mean get the visa and not show up for work the next day? :rofl:
I'd love to :rofl: but I don't think I'll be doing it. It's not about the reference as much, it's more that I'd be feeling guilty that I didn't honour my contract and that I l let them down without any notice :o
Plus everyone who's ever resigned in my department has always kept to their contracts and served their notice period, so if I did that I'd be leaving with the reputation of a bitch :p

rpjs Feb 2nd 2011 3:04 pm

When I got mine back in October the ConOff said 7-10 days but I got it back within 2 working days. I think that was because I had inadvertently paid DX extra for the faster turnaround, so 3-5 will probably be right for the standard service.

Brucky Feb 2nd 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by C_C (Post 9147070)
You mean get the visa and not show up for work the next day? :rofl:
I'd love to :rofl: but I don't think I'll be doing it. It's not about the reference as much, it's more that I'd be feeling guilty that I didn't honour my contract and that I l let them down without any notice :o
Plus everyone who's ever resigned in my department has always kept to their contracts and served their notice period, so if I did that I'd be leaving with the reputation of a bitch :p

LOL! :D

I have to give only a week, which I'm going to do. The suits above me at work know I'm leaving for America 'sometime' in the future, but I've given them no hint at all. I think maybe Apr - June. :fingerscrossed:

[edit] - In fact, if things are processed quickly, :fingerscrossed:, I would like to finish off my footie season ticket, but I doubt my American based Wife would approve!!!!!!

Wolfy Feb 2nd 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9146985)

Depends on the company you work for. The majority pay monthly and would ask for a minimum of one months notice and others at least 1 weeks notice.

My employer knows what is happening as we have a good relationship and said provided my application for visa to the US is approved I could well be moving in Sept/Oct time if all goes to plan and being straight forward and they are fine with that.

If its not approved I will be staying with them.

Rete Feb 2nd 2011 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by C_C (Post 9147031)
Like I said, the sooner I can get the ball rolling with giving my notice etc. the better, as 3 months is a long time already. The reason we can't plan on moving earlier than May/June is exactly because of this 3 month-notice requirement with my job.
Of course, plus or minus a week is not a huge deal, but I'm also interested in other people's recent experiences, as the ConOffs and DX Security seem to be giving contradictory info lately ;).

I still don't understand. You had your visa approved. If you have to hand in three months notice, why are you waiting for?

C_C Feb 2nd 2011 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9147484)
I still don't understand. You had your visa approved. If you have to hand in three months notice, why are you waiting for?

Yes, you're right. Call it an obsession or whatever, but I don't want to do anything big before having the actual visa in hand (e.g. quit job, give notice for our flat, buy plane tickets etc.). I guess it just feels more secure to wait till I get the visa, 'cause then I will know 100% without a doubt that I'm leaving. I already know it of course, but I'm yet to receive the documentary confirmation which is the visa ;)

CAdreaming Feb 2nd 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by C_C (Post 9146949)
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the turnaround time is for passports with K1/CR1/IR1 visas through DX Secure in London? It seems like it used to be 3-5 working days from interview approval to passport receipt, but the ConOffs seem to have been advising people of late that it will take 7-10 working days. The courier company though still quotes the previous "3-5 working days".
The same thing happened to me yesterday and I know it's happened to other people in this forum lately - the ConOff (who I tend to believe more) said 7-10working days, while the courier company said 3-5.

(I know the courier has to wait for the Embassy to process and hand it in for delivery, so the turnaround time depends on the Embassy by 99%).

So I'm just interested to hear what the actual turnaround time has been for people, particularly those who were approved in the past month or two.
I'm preparing my notice letter for work but I'm reluctant to turn it in before I get my actual visa in hand, so I'm going to wait till then. But I'd like to know, based on other people's recent experiences, if it's realistic to expect it by early next week (the 3-5 days rule) or instead from mid next week to early the week after (the 7-10 days rule).

Many thanks! :)

Mine approved 15 Dec - in hand 28th Dec

ian-mstm Feb 2nd 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by C_C (Post 9147004)
My job requires 3 months' notice before I quit...

What are they going to do... fire you?

... so if I did that I'd be leaving with the reputation of a bitch
Think of it as being a trend setter! Do you think 3 months is a reasonable time for notice? I sure as hell don't! I wouldn't be surprised if others at your work felt the same... but are just too timid to take a stand. One thing's for sure - they won't ever forget you!

Ian

meauxna Feb 2nd 2011 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9147622)
What are they going to do... fire you?

Think of it as being a trend setter! Do you think 3 months is a reasonable time for notice? I sure as hell don't! I wouldn't be surprised if others at your work felt the same... but are just too timid to take a stand. One thing's for sure - they won't ever forget you!

Ian

:lol:
True, all that.. time to get American, C_C. I notice that this giving a long notice is definitely a British trait! ;)

I applaud your choice, just understand that you're choosing it. As for the 'waiting for the visa in hand before even giving a hella-long notice period...' I would not be as conservative as you in that choice. BUT, if you choose it, you dont' get to post anymore about 'how long til the passport gets returned'.. lol, you will just have to sleep in that bed you made. :D