Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport turnaround time after interview approval?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What are they going to do... fire you?
In theory, an employer can sue for any extra costs caused by someone giving insufficient notice and so having to employ temps etc. In practice that's often a hard one to make stick, especially if the employee has left the country!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
In theory, an employer can sue for any extra costs caused by someone giving insufficient notice and so having to employ temps etc.
Actually, anyone can sue anybody for anything as long as they pay the filing fee. Whether or not the case has any merit, however, is up to the judge.

Ian
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

krosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to allkrosfyah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by C_C
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the turnaround time is for passports with K1/CR1/IR1 visas through DX Secure in London? It seems like it used to be 3-5 working days from interview approval to passport receipt, but the ConOffs seem to have been advising people of late that it will take 7-10 working days. The courier company though still quotes the previous "3-5 working days".
The same thing happened to me yesterday and I know it's happened to other people in this forum lately - the ConOff (who I tend to believe more) said 7-10working days, while the courier company said 3-5.

(I know the courier has to wait for the Embassy to process and hand it in for delivery, so the turnaround time depends on the Embassy by 99%).

So I'm just interested to hear what the actual turnaround time has been for people, particularly those who were approved in the past month or two.
I'm preparing my notice letter for work but I'm reluctant to turn it in before I get my actual visa in hand, so I'm going to wait till then. But I'd like to know, based on other people's recent experiences, if it's realistic to expect it by early next week (the 3-5 days rule) or instead from mid next week to early the week after (the 7-10 days rule).

Many thanks!
I personally got mine after 4 working days (paid the regular £14.80 shipping fee).

I can understand wanting to serve the 3 months out. It provides 3 months of additional income (and savings), it leaves you with a clear conscience and it doesn't burn bridges if you need a reference/want to apply for a job in the same industry and your employer is a global firm.

Some more senior positions require 3 months notice, it's pretty common. It's quite a long time but it's not unheard of at all - thankfully im just a regular lackey so have a standard 1 month notice

I also understand wanting visa in hand etc, but given the turnaruond will be about 4-7 working days, i don't think that serving the notice beforehand really matters (although as i said, i understand some of the superstition etc about not wanting to act until you physically have it in hand).

The hard bit (getting a successful visa outcome) is over, the easy bit (signing for a secure package delivery from a reputable courier firm) is all you're waiting for now. I would personally probably just resign if you definitely know you're going in 3 months.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:33 am
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Just to report that I got my passport back with the visa this morning, 4 working days after my interview approval!
I paid the "before 8am" fee, as I wanted to be at home for the delivery, and the guy showed up at 6:50am
Now on to sort out the work stuff

Also, I don't think paying the courier one of the higher fees as opposed to the standard one is going to bring your visa any quicker, as turnaround times mainly depend on how quickly the Embassy processes the visa. Extra fees are just to book a timeslot for delivery that is more convenient for people's daily schedules, but not for expedited delivery.
In my case, the visa was issued on the 3rd of Feb (Thursday). The DX online stracking system was updated on Friday the 4th (up until then my online tracking requests returned no result) saying it was due for delivery on the 7th. And it was indeed delivered on the 7th
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:57 am
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Many Congrats C_C!!!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:56 am
Okie

ozmac79 is on a distinguished road

My visa was approved 28th February. The tracking number given to me by DX still isn't recognised on their website, so I can only assume the Embassy haven't processed my passport yet. I'm hoping it will come next week.

As for the issue of serving notice at work, I had to give one month. With outstanding holiday time left to cash in, it will be more like 3 weeks. I'll be working my notice as it means an extra month's pay while I also tend to packing, cancelling utilities and such anyway.

Also, I feel better to be leaving in the right manner, as in not walking out. That's just personal preference though, as for the most part I've enjoyed working for my managers.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:47 pm
Okie

ozmac79 is on a distinguished road

Hehe, it arrived this afternoon. So 7 days it took for me
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:26 pm
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of

I am curious when they asked when you would be flying to the states did you say sooner than later?

Some people say if you tell them you are flying sooner, you may get your passport faster, I was honest and said August. i hope they don't take there time to send it back, I have to give one months notice and all that 'fun stuff' too. so anxious don't want to do anything until the visa is hand.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:57 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Mine took about a week.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gnasher12
Some people say if you tell them you are flying sooner, you may get your passport faster, I was honest and said August. i hope they don't take there time to send it back, I have to give one months notice and all that 'fun stuff' too. so anxious don't want to do anything until the visa is hand.
Hah, well I'm not going until Jan! I was honest and wrote that on the forms that asked (by way of 'approx') but if they ask at the embassy I'll probably bend the truth and say it's earlier now. It's not actually known, yet - it just depends when I get the visa and when my fiancée can arrange the wedding, but we won't be able to do that until we get the visa and dates sorted there.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

hockeysarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine took 48 hours! Very fast!