part time job

Old May 25th 2001, 1:46 am
Jacobien en Arno

Hello everybody, Can anyone answer my questions: -Can I get a work permit for a part
time job? -Which one do I need? -Can my boyfriend and I get married in the USA? (He
already has a visa and a work permit) and what do we need to do to get married there?
-Can I get a visa when I'm not married?

Thank you all! Jacobien

Old May 25th 2001, 5:38 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Jacobien en Arno wrote:

>

It depends on the type of work permit. Check them out:
http://www.americanlaw.com/niv.html

Most will permit part-time work.

>

It depends on your educational qualifications, and the type of job offer that you can
get from a U.S. employer.

>
    >

Assuming you are both free to marry, yes, you can marry in the U.S. You can enter in
WT (visa waiver-tourist) status, or B-2 status, with the intention of marrying a
temporary status holder (for example, H-1B), and then get married, and then apply to
change your status to the dependent status (for example, H-4). H-4 status does not
permit employment at all.

Each state has different regulations about marriage, so you have to check with the
state, or the local agency that handles such matters.

>

Single people get visas all the time. I am not sure why you are asking this.

If you mean, "Can I get temporary status as a dependent of someone who holds
temporary status in the U.S., for example H-1B, without being married," the
answer is no.

Old May 25th 2001, 9:54 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Sylvia Ottemoeller wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Can anyone answer my questions:[/usenetquote2]

[snip]

[usenetquote2]> > -Can my boyfriend and I get married in the USA? (He already has a visa and a work[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > permit) and what do we need to do to get married there?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

Oops, this is wrong. If you enter in WT, you cannot change status within the U.S. You
would have to marry, leave the U.S. again, get a visa stamp, and re-enter the U.S. in
the new status.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >