Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Packing your own Shipping Container

Packing your own Shipping Container

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:08 pm
My ScriptFu is strong

sej7278 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Packing your own Shipping Container

ooh, not sure i fancy that, i have a lot of dvd's that might look dodgey, if you know what i mean.

i don't want to look like i'm smuggling or anything nasty....
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Hilden is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no I've just checked on that black list and our shipping company is on there - it was World Wide Relocations - luckily we hadn't booked them - backed to the drawing board in finding good & CHEAP shippers - any names would be handy.

Hilden
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:00 pm
My ScriptFu is strong

sej7278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone give me a relatively step-by-step procedure for all this, like:

what paperwork is involved (bill of laden, customs forms)?

what kind of worth do I put on customs forms for things like books and cd's?!

is it worth getting insurance over the included liability insurance, it's basically 2 computers, clothes, books, cd's...?

if i pack it into boxes myself, and do the customs forms, what is involved in dropping it off at the port - do i have to get them to pallet the boxes up?

can I use regular UHaul style cardboard boxes, or do I need wooden crates (tea chests)?

oh God this is so confusing, I'm about ready to say screw it and pay UPS $700!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonG
We had about 8 bottles of spirits when we came to Canada, the movers just packed them up as 'Kitchen Equipment'.
I opted for the full packing service (Uk to US) so that I could get full insurance cover against anything arriving broken. When the packers arrived I had several large boxes of valuables that had been in storage for a while - they asked me what was in them and just wrote what I said on the sheet and loaded them into the truck. In one sense I was annoyed to be paying for a packing service that I wasn't receiving, but in another I was glad that they had not messed around with those boxes - everything in them was very fragile!

When it came to what they packed, I can only say that the list they produced didn't really reflect what was in each box. I did wonder what would happen if I had put something forbidden in one of my pre-packed boxes - the packers didn't check the contents - but according to their contract, they had actually packed every single item?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I opted for the full packing service (Uk to US) so that I could get full insurance cover against anything arriving broken. When the packers arrived I had several large boxes of valuables that had been in storage for a while - they asked me what was in them and just wrote what I said on the sheet and loaded them into the truck. In one sense I was annoyed to be paying for a packing service that I wasn't receiving, but in another I was glad that they had not messed around with those boxes - everything in them was very fragile!

When it came to what they packed, I can only say that the list they produced didn't really reflect what was in each box. I did wonder what would happen if I had put something forbidden in one of my pre-packed boxes - the packers didn't check the contents - but according to their contract, they had actually packed every single item?
I must admit when we travelled to Canada the guys doing the packing where really good. If we had things already in boxes they just 're-taped' the boxes, ask what was inside and added to the inventory list. The inventory list they created was pretty good.
They also made sure that I had cleaned the garden tools, lawnmower etc., and also removed batteries from everything.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:32 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sej7278
Can anyone give me a relatively step-by-step procedure for all this, like:

what paperwork is involved (bill of laden, customs forms)?

what kind of worth do I put on customs forms for things like books and cd's?!

is it worth getting insurance over the included liability insurance, it's basically 2 computers, clothes, books, cd's...?

if i pack it into boxes myself, and do the customs forms, what is involved in dropping it off at the port - do i have to get them to pallet the boxes up?

can I use regular UHaul style cardboard boxes, or do I need wooden crates (tea chests)?

oh God this is so confusing, I'm about ready to say screw it and pay UPS $700!
If you get quotes from shipping companies, these are the questions you should ask them and get answers.

Some shipping companies websites may even describe the process...

NC Penguin