Overstayed my 6Months Visa

Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:17 am
Just Joined

ryank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overstayed my 6Months Visa

Okay Folks
In need of your advise

1. Left for US from UK with a 6months Travelling visa
2. during my travelling got asked to work for a company as i had become good friends with the owner.
3. so i got a lawyer etc and applied for a working visa through my us lawyer.
4. their was a mistake made by the company and a wrong tax id was given so my visa was denied. we got it sorted out and re applied.
5. all this non sense made me overstay for 2months as i was trying to sort things out and wasnt working so couldnt afford my flight home. lawyers are $$$$
6. I am now home and my visa never went through as they had ran the limit of the type of visa i was applying for.
7. the lawyer has written a letter explaining the reason of the overstay saying that i tried everything i could to leave on time and i should not be banned from travelling back to the country on holiday etc.
8. i am not wanting to work or stay in us but me and some friends are wanting to go back over in about 4months for a 2week holiday what should i do.

should i go to the embassy asap and explain my situation.
please help guys
many thanks Ryan
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overstayed my 6Months Visa

Originally Posted by ryank
8. i am not wanting to work or stay in us but me and some friends are wanting to go back over in about 4months for a 2week holiday what should i do.

should i go to the embassy asap and explain my situation.
please help guys
many thanks Ryan
What does your immigration lawyer say about that?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:41 am
Just Joined

ryank is an unknown quantity at this point

They said it shouldnt be much of a problem as they have written a letter. and i never overstayed on purpose. i just wanted some views from you guys cause if anyone has been through the same they will know for sure. Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Well my opinion is that since it's not required that the applicant stay in the country while a working visa is processed you should expect to be treated as somebody who overstayed their visa and not be surprised if no one cares about your excuse.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

They said it shouldnt be much of a problem as they have written a letter. and i never overstayed on purpose. i just wanted some views from you guys cause if anyone has been through the same they will know for sure. Thanks
What 'working visa' did you actually apply for? Who applied - you or your employer?

What numbers/letters document the refusal in your passport?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:00 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

5. all this non sense made me overstay for 2months as i was trying to sort things out and wasnt working so couldnt afford my flight home. lawyers are $$$$
6. I am now home and my visa never went through as they had ran the limit of the type of visa i was applying for.
You "tried everything" you could to leave on time? Everything except actually leaving.

How did you get home if you didn't have the money earlier and haven't worked?

I don't think you have an excuse.

Last edited by celticgrid; Apr 6th 2010 at 5:03 am.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:39 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Probably about to make myself look an idiot, but as he only overstayed 2 months 60ish days does he have a ban? I thought that only kicked in if you overstayed 180 days

As he overstayed he cannot use the VWP program but needs a visa even for 2 weeks and I suspect the chances of that being granted are somewhere between not a lot and bugger all.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Overstay means staying past the expiration date of your I-94 or I-94W

180 - one year of overstay = 3 year bar on re-entry to the US.
A year or more = 10 year bar on re-entry to the US. The bar starts the day you leave.

Assuming that when you say you overstayed by 2 months, that means you stayed 2 months (or approx 60 days) past the expiration date of your I-94 or I-94W. If so, it does not appear that you have incurred a bar.

However - in overstaying, you most likely invalidated your current visa. If so, you will need to apply for another visa - which with your recent overstay may be a problem. Also, if you were ever eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program, you are no longer eligible.