Overstay Options

Old Oct 4th 2022, 7:49 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overstay Options

This question was posed to me by a friend of a family member of my wife (tenuous I know!) at a family gathering. Probably asked to me because I successfully emigrated to the US, albeit 25+ years ago now.

The young lady in question is South African and has resided in the US for four years. The first two years were either on a a J-1 or F-1. Prior to the visa expiring she booked her flight back to SA with every intention of returning home before the expiration of the visa. However, due to Covid, South Africa closed her borders, she was not allowed to return home and has now overstayed. Because she fears a 10-year ban she has effectively done nothing for the past two years. I asked her if she has spoken to anyone at DHS about any Covid-type clemency extensions, and she says she had, but they said no. I don't know if this was a formal rejection or not.

Any suggestions for her? This is beyond my scope of experience, so I thought I would bring it here to ask.

Old Oct 4th 2022, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overstay Options

Originally Posted by ScousePete
This question was posed to me by a friend of a family member of my wife (tenuous I know!) at a family gathering. Probably asked to me because I successfully emigrated to the US, albeit 25+ years ago now.

The young lady in question is South African and has resided in the US for four years. The first two years were either on a a J-1 or F-1. Prior to the visa expiring she booked her flight back to SA with every intention of returning home before the expiration of the visa. However, due to Covid, South Africa closed her borders, she was not allowed to return home and has now overstayed. Because she fears a 10-year ban she has effectively done nothing for the past two years. I asked her if she has spoken to anyone at DHS about any Covid-type clemency extensions, and she says she had, but they said no. I don't know if this was a formal rejection or not.

Any suggestions for her? This is beyond my scope of experience, so I thought I would bring it here to ask.
Some information is available here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis...se-to-covid-19

The answer is to consult with an immigration attorney. I suspect that doing nothing has made the outcome far worse than it might have been.
Old Oct 5th 2022, 3:05 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Some information is available here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis...se-to-covid-19

The answer is to consult with an immigration attorney. I suspect that doing nothing has made the outcome far worse than it might have been.
I agree that consultation with an immigration attorney might be a good idea. In the factual description I see a glimmer of a remote possibility that she may not be subject to a ten year ban.
Old Oct 5th 2022, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

We need to know what status and date it says on her I-94, and what she did when she "spoke" to DHS. F-1 is almost always admitted for "D/S". Most types of J-1 are admitted for "D/S". If her I-94 says "D/S", then she likely has not accrued any "unlawful presence", and thus will not trigger a ban upon leaving the US.

The unlawful presence ban is a 3-year ban if she accrued 180 days of unlawful presence and then leaves the US, and a 10-year ban if she accrued 1 year of unlawful presence and then leaves the US. There are only 3 ways someone can start to accrue "unlawful presence":
  1. They stay past the date on their I-94
  2. They apply for a benefit to USCIS and it was denied with the determination that they were out of status
  3. They were in removal proceedings in immigration court and were determined to be out of status by an immigration judge
#1 cannot happen for people with "D/S" on their I-94 (as is likely if she was on F-1 or J-1), since they do not have a date on their I-94. Therefore, F-1 or J-1 people with "D/S" on their I-94 generally do not start accruing unlawful presence, even if they stay for years past the end of their programs. #2 and #3 are uncommon and she would know if either of those things happened. #3 requires that she be asked to appear in removal proceedings, which based on your description did not happen. #2 requires her to have actively applied for something to USCIS (e.g. change of status or an EAD). You said "she had" "spoken" to someone at DHS, but is unclear what this means. Did she call them and ask if there were anything she could do, but they told her nothing was available for her situation, and she thus didn't apply for anything? If so, the she wouldn't have applied for some benefit. On the other hand, if she means she applied for Change of Status and she was denied, then unlawful presence would start to accrue on the date of the denial.

In the likely case that she was admitted for "D/S" and did not apply for any benefit nor was placed in removal proceedings, she did not accrue any unlawful presence and thus would not trigger a ban upon leaving the US.

See USCIS Adjudicator's Field Manual chapter 40.9.2(b)(1)(E)(ii) (on page 76 of this PDF):
(ii) Nonimmigrants Admitted for Duration of Status (D/S). If USCIS finds a nonimmigrant status violation while adjudicating a request for an immigration benefit, unlawful presence will begin to accrue on the day after the request is denied. If an immigration judge makes a determination of nonimmigrant status violation in exclusion, deportation, or removal proceedings, unlawful presence begins to accrue the day after the immigration judge's order. It must be emphasized that the accrual of unlawful presence neither begins on the date that a status violation occurs, nor on the day on which removal proceedings are initiated.
And 9 FAM 302.11-3(B)(1).b(2):
b. (U) DHS has interpreted "period of stay authorized by the Secretary of Homeland Security," as used in this context, to include:
(2) (U) For individuals inspected and admitted for "duration of status" (DOS), any period of presence in the United States, unless DHS, an IJ, or the BIA makes a formal finding of a status violation, in which case unlawful presence will only being to accrue the day after the formal finding is made;
9 FAM 302.11-3(B)(1).d:
d. (U) For persons who have been admitted for duration of status (DOS) (as is usually the case with individuals in A, G, F, J, and I visa status), unlawful presence will not accrue unless DHS, IJ, or the BIA finds a status violation in the context of a request for an immigration benefit or during removal proceedings. This finding of status violation by the DHS, an IJ, or the BIA will cause a period of "unlawful presence" to begin. In DOS cases where DHS or an IJ or the BIA makes a formal status violation finding, the individual begins accruing unlawful presence on the day after the finding (i.e., the date the finding was published /communicated). For example, if an applicant presents a letter from DHS dated December 1, 2008, that says the applicant was out of status starting on May 28, 2001, the applicant began to accrue unlawful presence as of December 2, 2008, not May 28, 2001.
That said, even if she won't have a ban, that doesn't mean she will be able to get another visa or enter the US. Most types of nonimmigrant visas and entry on most types of nonimmigrant statuses can be denied for "failure to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent" if there is anything the officer doesn't like about her situation. And being out of status for years is definitely a negative factor that the officer is not going to like.
Old Oct 5th 2022, 8:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete

You say she is still in the US. How has she been earning a living during this time?