Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Out of Status after terminated from work (H1-B)

Out of Status after terminated from work (H1-B)

Old Aug 4th 2002, 5:20 pm
Hugh Bert

Default Out of Status after terminated from work (H1-B)

Hello Friends:

I wonder if you can tell me a bit of advice.

After my graduation, I worked for a company in who sponsored my H1-B visa. I was
terminated from this company for in August 31, 2001. The lawyer who applied for my
H1-B visa said that I could wait for 60 days before applying for a B status. Who
knows I got another offer in the mean time.

He then applied for the B status and got rejected on Feb 5, 2002 mainly because we
did not apply right after I was fired and INS says that B status is not to find
employment/school. Then I enrolled at a college nearby and got my I-20. We then did
another application, again with an I-539, to an F-1 status. Again it was rejected on
Jun 13, 2002 (The letter also said that the H1-B was revoked by employer on Dec 8,
2001). My lawyer at the time then said may be it is a good time to go home. Well,
thanks to all his advices now I am stuck. Stay here and become illegal, or go
home and get the 3 yr bar after being here 11 months since I was fired. And not
see my gf for a long time...

My questions:

I have been accepted at a UC in California for MS degree. I also have received I-20.
Can I get an F-1 status to go to school in Sept without having to go back home?

My main priority now is to get my visa status right again, and I am waiting results
from 2 companies who interviewed me. If I get the job, can I apply for a work visa
without having to go back home?

Which one is a better route, school / work?

Can any1 recommend how to handle this? I have been burned by 2 lawyers now...

Thanks a bunch fellas...

Frustated... **I did the right thing by following my lawyer's advice to fix my visa
status, and get burned... Very very sad...**