Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Ouch! Fraud, deportation, hardship

Ouch! Fraud, deportation, hardship

Old Jul 16th 2002, 6:20 am
Kw

Default Ouch! Fraud, deportation, hardship

A friend of ours got into a sham marriage, failed the interview, and is now in INS
detention, prior to deportation. Due to the fraud, she will be banned for life
from the US.

The sad part is that she is currently in a real relationship with another guy who is
a US citizen, and who is now preparing to sell his property and move overseas to be
with her. She should have divorced the first guy and married him, but apparently she
thought it would be easier to go through with the fraud. She had checked with some
lawyers who said it would be harder if she got a divorce and remarried (although she
didn't tell them about the fraud part).

I've done some research, and it appears that the deportation could be fought due to
hardship suffered by her and her current boyfriend/common-law-spouse. I may be
stretching it a bit, but it seems like the circumstances meet the criteria.

Is there any way out for this couple?

Old Jul 16th 2002, 6:40 am
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ouch! Fraud, deportation, hardship

Never ever do fraud with the INS no matter if you think it is easier never do it cause down the road it will bite ya in the butt & it is doing that now with your friend. IMO she should have gotten a divorce first. Sure it could have been a long process & a hassle but she wouldnt be in the trouble she is in now. If she can fight this to where she can get back into the states good for her but I think this process is gonna take even longer then the divorce. JMO
Old Jul 16th 2002, 7:00 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think she has a justifiable reason to fight the deportation and banning. Too bad for the boyfriend, but really, she brought it on them both by participating in a plan to defraud the US government. You didn't say exactly what you meant by "sham marriage," but it must have been pretty bad for her to end up in her current situation.

It is people like your friend, who try to manipulate and defraud the system, who make it so much tougher for the rest of us who are trying to go about things the legal and honest way. I understand that she's your friend, but I can't say I have too much sympathy for her.

Her boyfriend is willing to relocate to her home country to be with her, so there is obviously a feasible solution to their problem. I just hope they learn from her mistakes.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 16th 2002, 7:20 am
Jim Vadek

Sorry. I have no mercy. I hope she is banned for life. People like this just make it
harder for those who are legitimately married. Let this serve as an example.

"KW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news[email protected]...
    > A friend of ours got into a sham marriage, failed the interview, and is now in INS
    > detention, prior to deportation. Due to the fraud, she will be banned for life
    > from the US.
    >
    > The sad part is that she is currently in a real relationship with another guy who
    > is a US citizen, and who is now preparing to sell his property and move overseas to
    > be with her. She should have divorced the first guy and married him, but apparently
    > she thought it would be easier to go through with the fraud. She had checked with
    > some lawyers who said it would be harder if she got a divorce and remarried
    > (although she didn't tell them about the fraud part).
    >
    > I've done some research, and it appears that the deportation could be fought due to
    > hardship suffered by her and her current boyfriend/common-law-spouse. I may be
    > stretching it a bit, but it seems like the circumstances meet the criteria.
    >
    > Is there any way out for this couple?

Old Jul 16th 2002, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

mrpilock is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i agree i dont think your friend stands a cat in hells chance of fighting it and the best thing you can doo to help them is Get em some packing cases and help to fill them!!!!

Keith
Old Jul 16th 2002, 1:20 pm
Mike

news:<[email protected]> ...
    > A friend of ours got into a sham marriage, failed the interview, and is now in INS
    > detention, prior to deportation. Due to the fraud, she will be banned for life
    > from the US.
    >
    > The sad part is that she is currently in a real relationship with another guy who
    > is a US citizen, and who is now preparing to sell his property and move overseas to
    > be with her. She should have divorced the first guy and married him, but apparently
    > she thought it would be easier to go through with the fraud. She had checked with
    > some lawyers who said it would be harder if she got a divorce and remarried
    > (although she didn't tell them about the fraud part).
    >
    > I've done some research, and it appears that the deportation could be fought due to
    > hardship suffered by her and her current boyfriend/common-law-spouse. I may be
    >
About time these people get deported! Hardship my butt, she lied and got caught!

Old Jul 16th 2002, 1:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the circumstances of the marriage and therefore, will refrain from mouthing off. It is quite possible that the USC consented to enter into a fraudulent marriage to aid this woman in obtaining a green card. If so, they both warrant the punishment of their actions.

Be that as it may, there is no waiver of hardship available for this woman at the present moment. Status as a boyfriend or significant does not give him the right to file for a waiver. Nor does her leaving the US constitute a hardship on her part or on the part of the significant other. The federal government does not recognize common law marriages the least I heard.

Advice from a newsgroup regarding this topic is not a good idea. Any information is gleaned from research and thus your friend would be best served to hire an attorney who specializes in this type of situation.

Rete
Old Jul 16th 2002, 2:20 pm
Paulgani

>KW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news[email protected]...
    >

First, HER hardship counts for nothing. The criteria is that her deportation would
result in *extreme* hardship to HIM, the U.S. Citizen.

And even that counts for nothing until the point that she is legally married to him.

Other criteria are considered, including how recent the fraud was, how serious the
fraud was, etc...

I suspect that if they married, he moved to her country for 10 years or so, and then
he or their children developed a severe medical problem whereby it could only be
treated in the U.S., then perhaps she would have a chance of obtaining a waiver.

Paulgani

Old Jul 16th 2002, 2:20 pm
Omo

"Jim Vadek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sorry. I have no mercy. I hope she is banned for life. People like this just make
    > it harder for those who are legitimately married. Let this serve as an example.
    >
    > "KW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news[email protected]...
    > > A friend of ours got into a sham marriage, failed the interview, and is now in
    > > INS detention, prior to deportation. Due to the fraud, she will be banned for
    > > life from the US.
    > >
    > > I've done some research, and it appears that the deportation could be fought due
    > > to hardship suffered by her and her current boyfriend/common-law-spouse. I may be
    > > stretching it a bit, but it seems like the circumstances meet the criteria.
    > >
    > > Is there any way out for this couple?

I agree with Jim. Many of us here who have genuine marriages have had to fight "tooth
and nail" to get their prospective fiancé(es) or spouses here, especially when the
INS/US Consulates makes one jump through hoops to make sure everything is order.

And you want us to feel sympathy to your friends plight?? She deserved what
she got. EOS.

Old Jul 16th 2002, 6:20 pm
Kw

In article <[email protected] >, "Omo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for the input, everyone, I can see that she committed a very stupid and unfair
act. I don't feel that she shouldn't be punished, but life is a long time. We live in
an unfair world, and the guiltiest go free.

Old Jul 16th 2002, 7:20 pm
Steve & Lisa

cats go to hell? (I'm sure Steve would like ours to hurry its way there as the cat's
a mean son of a gun....rofl)

Sorry never heard this phrase before......a snow balls chance in hell .....that one
I've heard. ;o)

Had to say something....this just made me chuckle. (4 years with a Brit and hadn't
heard that one yet.)

--
Lisa www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

"mrpilock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Well i agree i dont think your friend stands a cat in hells chance of fighting it
    > and the best thing you can doo to help them is Get em some packing cases and help
    > to fill them!!!!
    >
    > Keith
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 17th 2002, 1:20 am
Lal

Where is she from? What's her nationality? just curious nothing more. I'm
guessing Russian.

P.S research her closet and pack her bags is my advise.

news:<[email protected]> ...
    > from the US.
    >
SNIP

Old Jul 17th 2002, 2:20 am
Jim Vadek

In my opinion you seem to be every bit as criminal as she is - suggesting that she
mount a "hardship" defence. You know it is not true. All around, it seems like y'all
need some adjustments in the honesty department.

Send her my regards and good riddance wishes.

news[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected] >, "Omo"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the input, everyone, I can see that she committed a very stupid and
    > unfair act. I don't feel that she shouldn't be punished, but life is a long time.
    > We live in an unfair world, and the guiltiest go free.

Old Jul 17th 2002, 3:08 am
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

She commited fraud with the INS so therefore she deserves what punishment she gets wether it is 5 year ban or her whole life banned from the US. She was dumb to think she could get away with this & nothing happen to her. She chose to do this & therefore needs to pay for what she done.
Old Jul 17th 2002, 9:20 am
Dave Rhodes

In article <[email protected]>, "Jim Vadek"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In my opinion you seem to be every bit as criminal as she is -

You're a pussy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.