Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Operating a business in the Orlando area from the UK

Operating a business in the Orlando area from the UK

Old Mar 7th 2021, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Chrisorlandouk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Operating a business in the Orlando area from the UK

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and looking for a little bit of advice really.

So I live in the UK and own a couple of small businesses. Nothing major but enough for us to live off. It had always been a dream of mine to live in the Florida area until we visited in the height of summer and realised it was just too hot and humid. So we have revised our plans as a family of three, to ideally purchase a home there and as we get close to retirement to spend the winter months in Florida and the summer in the UK.

However, I realise this is an expensive option. So I would continue to operate my UK business and put in place a good manager. Then ideally purchase an existing business in Florida doing the same as what I do here in the UK. Again put a manger in place in the US business to run the day to day stuff and personally travel there once a month for a few days to the US to keep an eye on things etc. The long term goal would then be for the US business not to pay me a salary but to be able to put enough money aside to purchase a home there and be able to spend the winter months in a better climate.

My question is has anyone on here ran or owned a business in the US but not moved there so operated it remotely from the UK? What are the pitfalls apart from the obvious, was it practical, did it work out financially etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 10:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Operating a business in the Orlando area from the UK

Originally Posted by Chrisorlandouk
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and looking for a little bit of advice really.

So I live in the UK and own a couple of small businesses. Nothing major but enough for us to live off. It had always been a dream of mine to live in the Florida area until we visited in the height of summer and realised it was just too hot and humid. So we have revised our plans as a family of three, to ideally purchase a home there and as we get close to retirement to spend the winter months in Florida and the summer in the UK.

However, I realise this is an expensive option. So I would continue to operate my UK business and put in place a good manager. Then ideally purchase an existing business in Florida doing the same as what I do here in the UK. Again put a manger in place in the US business to run the day to day stuff and personally travel there once a month for a few days to the US to keep an eye on things etc. The long term goal would then be for the US business not to pay me a salary but to be able to put enough money aside to purchase a home there and be able to spend the winter months in a better climate.

My question is has anyone on here ran or owned a business in the US but not moved there so operated it remotely from the UK? What are the pitfalls apart from the obvious, was it practical, did it work out financially etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi, welcome to BE.

I was going to move your thread to the main US forum as it seems to be more of a business related question rather than a visa one, but the visa side of things is pretty crucial and if you're not drawing a salary from the business I don't know if you'd get a visa to work in it? So I'll leave it here for now in case anybody spots any flaws in your plans and can advise, if it turns out to be more of a business related thread we can move it for you.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Small could mean many things.

If you want to leverage a US Business to provide you with some sort of visa then that does matter., EB5, E2, L1 comes to mind or none of them.

Or you just want to visit once a month for meeting and can use the VWP.

Old Mar 8th 2021, 11:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not clear what the purpose of buying the business is.

Seems to me based on your words you are just wanting a revenue stream to allow you to purchase a US residence. Correct? The trips you mention seem of the face of it to be possible under the Visa Waiver Program and would not require a visa, as long as you are otherwise VWP eligible.