Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Online travel authorisation via LA

Online travel authorisation via LA

Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Online travel authorisation via LA

Hi there i am flying Air NZ Nelson/Auckland to London via LA but only transiting through there... Does anyone know much about this online travel authorisation (both my NZ and British passports are machine readable)

My question is i currently live in NZ (have lived here for 34yrs) have NZ citizenship in NZ and UK citizeinship also with current passports for both of these (my ticket is one way at the moment as it was a gift from my son to see if i want to return to live in the UK)

My question is how do i go about filling in this form (do i have to use the passport that was given for my flight.....when you book you have to give a passport number) Theres nothing on the form allowing the applicant to mention they have dual citizenship.

Am i best to just put NZ as my country of residence and use that passport to transit through the US then use my UK passport to enter the UK????
I dont want to stuff this up as know how it can cause problems if not done right.....Any help much appreciated and thanks in advance....
Cheers
Cally
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:48 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online travel authorisation via LA

Originally Posted by cally49
Hi there i am flying Air NZ Nelson/Auckland to London via LA but only transiting through there... Does anyone know much about this online travel authorisation (both my NZ and British passports are machine readable)

My question is i currently live in NZ (have lived here for 34yrs) have NZ citizenship in NZ and UK citizeinship also with current passports for both of these (my ticket is one way at the moment as it was a gift from my son to see if i want to return to live in the UK)

My question is how do i go about filling in this form (do i have to use the passport that was given for my flight.....when you book you have to give a passport number) Theres nothing on the form allowing the applicant to mention they have dual citizenship.

Am i best to just put NZ as my country of residence and use that passport to transit through the US then use my UK passport to enter the UK????
I dont want to stuff this up as know how it can cause problems if not done right.....Any help much appreciated and thanks in advance....
Cheers
Cally
Can understand your concerns re 'not stuffing it up' I felt the same when I filled it in prior to coming over to NZ last year on a one way ticket....OH has dual citizenship so used NZ passport to go out, registered that with US for transit stop in LA, didn't realise then that we would be coming back 6mths later again on a one way ticket and as US travel authorisation last 12 months used his NZ passport for ticket & transit through LA then used UK passport at LHR.....no problems
HTH
B x
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Online travel authorisation via LA

Originally Posted by MnB
Can understand your concerns re 'not stuffing it up' I felt the same when I filled it in prior to coming over to NZ last year on a one way ticket....OH has dual citizenship so used NZ passport to go out, registered that with US for transit stop in LA, didn't realise then that we would be coming back 6mths later again on a one way ticket and as US travel authorisation last 12 months used his NZ passport for ticket & transit through LA then used UK passport at LHR.....no problems
HTH
B x
Oh thanks so much for stopping by they always make me feel nervous in LA lol went with my father in law a few yrs back and he had filled something in on the wrong line and what a flipping fiasco took forever to stand in a que to get it sorted for him and he was elderly so i wanted to be sure.

I actually rang the travel agent that my daughter in law booked through and they said use my british one on the way there and if i return at any stage to contact the US asking if i can register both my passports (it would make life easier if they had a place on the form for dual citizenship so you could do both passports) As of course one passport number must be on the ticket when booking....

All way to complicated for me who was given this flight as a suprise xmas pressie and it is only one way to see if i still want to move over there im still getting over the shock!
Hope you are still loving life in NZ i was driving round Napier and also Nelson the other day thinking ummmm do i really not want to come back lol.....Maybe im going to be a ping ponger ha ha....
Cheers
Cally
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you get through no problem, do they make you go through passport control if you aren't really entering the country?
I nearly got refused entry in LA I think the less said about that one the better. I had visions of being sent back to UK with a flea in my ear
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:46 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I hope you get through no problem, do they make you go through passport control if you aren't really entering the country?
I nearly got refused entry in LA I think the less said about that one the better. I had visions of being sent back to UK with a flea in my ear
Yep....afraid they do the full works, fingerprints the lot! but at least the 2 hrs stopover time on the LHR - LA - AUK journey goes fairly quickly and the time you spend waiting to go through immigration means less time in the transit lounge!
B x
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:52 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by cally49
Oh thanks so much for stopping by they always make me feel nervous in LA lol went with my father in law a few yrs back and he had filled something in on the wrong line and what a flipping fiasco took forever to stand in a que to get it sorted for him and he was elderly so i wanted to be sure.

I actually rang the travel agent that my daughter in law booked through and they said use my british one on the way there and if i return at any stage to contact the US asking if i can register both my passports (it would make life easier if they had a place on the form for dual citizenship so you could do both passports) As of course one passport number must be on the ticket when booking....

All way to complicated for me who was given this flight as a suprise xmas pressie and it is only one way to see if i still want to move over there im still getting over the shock!
Hope you are still loving life in NZ i was driving round Napier and also Nelson the other day thinking ummmm do i really not want to come back lol.....Maybe im going to be a ping ponger ha ha....
Cheers
Cally
Hi Cally
What a lovely Christmas present!! I would guess there's an ulterior motive behind it
We are now back in the UK.....as much as I love NZ I couldn't handle being 12000 miles away from our 'adult kids' and my newly discovered 'English roots'
Think we could well end up being ping pongers in the future ......will keep an eye out for you
Safe travels
B x
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi Cally
What a lovely Christmas present!! I would guess there's an ulterior motive behind it
We are now back in the UK.....as much as I love NZ I couldn't handle being 12000 miles away from our 'adult kids' and my newly discovered 'English roots'
Think we could well end up being ping pongers in the future ......will keep an eye out for you
Safe travels
B x
Ahhhhhh i did not read your info well enough i saw Wellington and immediately thought NZ lol (mental note must take more notice of the fine print lol) This i can see is going to be my problem being away from my family and grandchildren in NZ a very difficult place to be in i can tell you and when i first divorced my my boys dad after 27 yrs being married i went back to the UK every year for 5yrs lol i just could not settle and here i am 8yrs later still in the same position but now with grandchildren added to the mix.

...Torn between two countries it is for me lol anyhow this time i need to make a decision or i will have no money left lol its a very expensive exercise this going back and forth lol....Great to hear from you and i am sure you will see me posting my antics on here in the next few months....
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MnB
Yep....afraid they do the full works, fingerprints the lot! but at least the 2 hrs stopover time on the LHR - LA - AUK journey goes fairly quickly and the time you spend waiting to go through immigration means less time in the transit lounge!
B x
It actually feels like what i imagine being processed after being arrested by the law....Fingerprints, photo (even though its prob just of the eyes i dont know its always a stern spoken look into this webcam, click lol. And place your finger here...But as you say by the time you have waited in line to be processed an hour of the 2 hour transit time has easily passed and the next hour is spent freshening up and waiting in line for the loo lol...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:11 pm
Banned

UK_in_USA is an unknown quantity at this point

A visa can be applyed for online to gain entry to America
Although one may not be needed for a stop over
however Americain air regulation are alot harsher than
those in England and NZ, they still even ask you if you
were a member of the of the german goverment in 1933
onwards
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:01 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by UK_in_USA
A visa can be applyed for online to gain entry to America
Although one may not be needed for a stop over
however Americain air regulation are alot harsher than
those in England and NZ, they still even ask you if you
were a member of the of the german goverment in 1933
onwards
HI UK_in_USA Firstly ....Welcome to BE
You do need to have completed the online travel authorisation for transit through US when flying LHR-LA-Auckland with Air NZ as this route / flight involves a 2hr 'stop over' period in the transit lounge in LA......I know it seems a bit crazy when your movements are restricted but that's the way it is, and as said before 'it helps the time pass'
B x