Wikiposts

Once you have the VISA

Old Jun 10th 2003, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

pepsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Once you have the VISA

ok, once you have the visa and everything, when you get to the immagration bit in chicago ORD, which line do you get it , out of
Visitors, or Residents and citizens line?

once in the US, iv heard that you need to apply for EAD before you can get your SS card?, any one know, or where i can find out the procedure

thanks
Old Jun 10th 2003, 8:26 am
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Pete F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Once you have the VISA

Originally posted by pepsi
ok, once you have the visa and everything, when you get to the immagration bit in chicago ORD, which line do you get it , out of
Visitors, or Residents and citizens line?

once in the US, iv heard that you need to apply for EAD before you can get your SS card?, any one know, or where i can find out the procedure

thanks
Thin you will find this has been answered before but, normally its the visitors line cos you arent a citizen or resident .. yet..
I found that traveling Sundays was quietest... especially in a non major POE.. I landed at Pittsburgh and it was like a morgue..

SSN/EAD ALWAYS ASK at the POE if they will give you a temp EAD stamp... Its always worth asking..
If you are male, then I got my SSN 1st about a week after arriving, (had to wait 60 days for it anyway). If yuo didnt get the Temp EAD at the POE, then its up to you.. IF you can go to your service center in person, then do so to get your 90 Day temp EAD.. Bear in mind that the 90 days starts the day you enter, so by applying by post, you may have to wait 45-90 days for your TEMP EAD so if it arrives on , day, day 60, its only valid for 30 days.. The 1 year EAD can take up to 90 days to arrive so, you could start to work, then have to be "fired" for your employer to be within the law. So.. your 1 year EAD under section (c)(9) is only available AFTER you marry and file your I465 AOS at the same time.

If you are female, then the SSN may be troublesome due to name changes etc..
Scarlett has a few battle scars to prove this...
Look for posts from Scarlett (spelt that way) regarding SSN Horrors

The EAD will have the same problem as far as timelines are concerned but you should be able to apply for the Temporary EAD under section (a) (6) in your maiden name... Also I think you dont need the EAD to get an SSN.. The SSN is dependant on the BCIS getting the information from the POE to their contracted workers to get the info onto the computer so the SSA can access that data.

Pete
Old Jun 10th 2003, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Duckie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pete F
I found that traveling Sundays was quietest... especially in a non major POE.. I landed at Pittsburgh and it was like a morgue..
that is great news. my poe will be pittsburgh as well. did you get the temp ead stamp? you did not say or i did not read it
Old Jun 10th 2003, 9:41 am
Amk

Your going through Visitors .....I came to US in April and my POE was
Chicago.
My immigration process took not more then 10 minutes! )

"pepsi" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > ok, once you have the visa and everything, when you get to the
    > immagration bit in chicago ORD, which line do you get it , out of
    > Visitors, or Residents and citizens line?
    > once in the US, iv heard that you need to apply for EAD before you can
    > get your SS card?, any one know, or where i can find out the procedure
    > thanks
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Linda & Eric is an unknown quantity at this point

I live very near Pittsburgh.