Old crimes & fingerprints

Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old crimes & fingerprints

When I was in practice, I would sometimes hear the refrain "how will they know?" In these forums, I've sometimes seen the question come up in the context of people with checkered pasts wanting to travel to the US.

Accordingly, I find this article in today's New York Times of interest.

Of particular interest to me was the fact that he was located by one fingerprint -- on his Portugese ID card.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old crimes & fingerprints

Maybe you could copy the article in as I'm not wanting to subscribe to read it. Whilst it may be worth it as you have not yet once posted anything that was not worth reading
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

WTH are you talking about? I can read it just fine. I definitely don't subscribe to the NYT!
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:07 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I can also read it without issue, but the story is also on the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15085289
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
Maybe you could copy the article...
That would be against the site rules - which, I'm sure, you already know as you agreed to them prior to posting!

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILDER
WTH are you talking about? I can read it just fine. I definitely don't subscribe to the NYT!
I click on the link using my iPad and it takes me to a login page. Will check it out at work tomorrow
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I click on the link using my iPad and it takes me to a login page. Will check it out at work tomorrow
Oh, I see. I really want an iPad. bit of an Apple fanboy I'm afraid.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:36 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Your OP is a little misleading. It details the case of a murderer and hijacker that had a federal task force created to track him down.

This is not the same as your run of the mill "thug" who's taking a two week vacation to Florida and is concerned with the routine POE checks catching them out.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:54 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
Your OP is a little misleading. It details the case of a murderer and hijacker that had a federal task force created to track him down.

This is not the same as your run of the mill "thug" who's taking a two week vacation to Florida and is concerned with the routine POE checks catching them out.
But still pretty damn interesting, a fingerprint on a Portugese identity card, and the FBI got him. There is definitely some "connected up" stuff going on there.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:32 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas

I think the point is that technology and international sharing of information has increased and will likely continue to increase. It's even possible that Portugal has digitized all of such cards/prints for their 9 million adults and shared them.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could copy the article in as I'm not wanting to subscribe to read it. Whilst it may be worth it as you have not yet once posted anything that was not worth reading
NY Times has limited free access to 20 articles a month.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
NY Times has limited free access to 20 articles a month.
I have managed to see said article now from my computer in the office, and have identified what could have been the cause of my issue last night.

On the computer, once i clicked on your link, the first thing it shows is an advert, and in the top left corner it says skip this ad. Did this and went straight to your article.

This was not what was displayed on the iPad, i was just taken to a login page.

Sometimes iPads just dont cut it
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is not quite the same thing but it is kind of related. I have a friend in the UK who worked for a window company. A long time back he we working on a job repairing a fire damaged house. During the job happened upon a CD in a pile of junk and figured that it was fair game to take. Not the smartest thing to do but he did it. A few days later the owner had figured out what had happened and made a police complaint so he was taken down to the police station and fingerprinted. The charges were dropped because I guess the homeowner had claimed the CD on the insurance claim so didn't own it and the insurance company didn't care or something like that so he was let go but his fingerprints were still in the system. His company reprimanded him for being a dumbass but kept him on. A year or so later he was arrested for a burglary on a warehouse because his fingerprints were on a window at the scene of the crime. The window in question was one he had replaced the week before and it had just never been cleaned. His prints were pulled off it and they got a match in the system from the time he was questioned.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I know this is not quite the same thing but it is kind of related. I have a friend in the UK who worked for a window company. A long time back he we working on a job repairing a fire damaged house. During the job happened upon a CD in a pile of junk and figured that it was fair game to take. Not the smartest thing to do but he did it. A few days later the owner had figured out what had happened and made a police complaint so he was taken down to the police station and fingerprinted. The charges were dropped because I guess the homeowner had claimed the CD on the insurance claim so didn't own it and the insurance company didn't care or something like that so he was let go but his fingerprints were still in the system. His company reprimanded him for being a dumbass but kept him on. A year or so later he was arrested for a burglary on a warehouse because his fingerprints were on a window at the scene of the crime. The window in question was one he had replaced the week before and it had just never been cleaned. His prints were pulled off it and they got a match in the system from the time he was questioned.
Out of idle curiosity, was your friend convicted?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Out of idle curiosity, was your friend convicted?
Mmmm, interesting one, have to wonder for starters why the prints from the original case weren't destroyed........?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.