Ok we're stupid

Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:53 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future
Default Ok we're stupid

but we never realized we needed a certified copy of my SD birth certificate, the lawyer took the one we emailed him and sent it to USCIS, now upon asking him if we needed a certified one he said yes. Anyways she was born overseas and upon calling the Department of State they have said it will take 4 to 8 weeks, we don't have that long, will it matter that we take along the copy of what we have and then offer to send the one we get in the mail from the state?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok we're stupid

Take what you have. I'm assuming your stepdaughter is a USC so there should be no problem. Does the child have a US Passport?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:01 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
Take what you have. I'm assuming your stepdaughter is a USC so there should be no problem. Does the child have a US Passport?
No passport now, it was returned to the military when they left Germany. We have a black and white copy of her Birth Certificate, but it isn't certified. We are applying to get a certified one today though. She also does not live with us and his Mother refuses to give us information about anything to do with her, we can't even get the name of her Dr or their new address. So asking her my DH's ex is out of the question

Last edited by Dudette; Jun 15th 2010 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm confused then. Why? Because I was born out of the US as well and I get my birth certificate from the DOS and it is not stamped with anything that says it is certified and I have used it for the USCIS, my passport and for registering to vote.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:08 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Well I'm confused then. Why? Because I was born out of the US as well and I get my birth certificate from the DOS and it is not stamped with anything that says it is certified and I have used it for the USCIS, my passport and for registering to vote.
To get one from the DOS it takes 4 - 8 weeks, our appointment is in 4 weeks time, I am applying for a copy today hoping that we will get it back in time. In the meantime we are going to just take the black and white copy that we have and explain the situation. I really hope it works.

Rete does your copy have a raised stamp or anything on it?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dudette
Rete does your copy have a raised stamp or anything on it?
No it isn't which is why I was confused when your attorney said you should have a certified copy.

Over the years I have had to obtain a copy of my BC from the DOS three times and one of those times was for USCIS and there is no indication on the BC that it is certified by raised seal, notation or otherwise.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:34 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

No it isn't which is why I was confused when your attorney said you should have a certified copy.

Over the years I have had to obtain a copy of my BC from the DOS three times and one of those times was for USCIS and there is no indication on the BC that it is certified by raised seal, notation or otherwise.
Well I have overnighted a request for a copy of her BC and I guess we'll wait and see what happens from there, in the mean time we will have to make do with the black and white copy we have, oh well.

Thanks for your advice Rete
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:17 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

We got my SD Birth Certificate today, it came through in exactly a week despite all websites saying it would take from 4 to 8 weeks, wahoo what a relief