British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Obtaining a Work Permit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/obtaining-work-permit-155140/)

ferglryan May 27th 2003 1:41 am

Obtaining a Work Permit

Hi I am a Malaysian citizen currently studying in England and will be graduating in 2 months time. I am wondering if anyone knows anything on how to obtain a work permit without actually getting a job first. My student visa expires at the end of october and I really need to get something done to extend it.
I had sent 186 job applications to various companies and employers and I received 7 interviews. The bad news were that all of them were rejected. It was really frustrating because my overall grades and performance are similar to other British job applicants. No offense but I soon found out that most companies here in the UK are reluctant to emply foreign expertise because they do not want to spend money or the hassle in obtaining a work permit for me.
I hope someone can advise me regarding this matter.

Cheers
Ryan

Interested May 27th 2003 1:54 am

Hi Ryan, i think you are posting int he wrong forum. I think this forum is for those who are from the UK, have lived abroad and are now moving back.
Good luck, with you quest though !

Interested

ferglryan May 27th 2003 1:56 am

oops...just need some help, cant find anywhere else I can write on.:P

sbasak May 27th 2003 1:15 pm

As far I know you have to get a job offer first and your prospective employer will have to apply for work permit for you.

It is true that majority of UK firms are reluctant to apply work permit because they need to show strong reason for recruiting a non-EU/british national.

NC Penguin May 27th 2003 11:05 pm

Re: Obtaining a Work Permit

Originally posted by ferglryan
Hi I am a Malaysian citizen currently studying in England and will be graduating in 2 months time. I am wondering if anyone knows anything on how to obtain a work permit without actually getting a job first. My student visa expires at the end of october and I really need to get something done to extend it.
I had sent 186 job applications to various companies and employers and I received 7 interviews. The bad news were that all of them were rejected. It was really frustrating because my overall grades and performance are similar to other British job applicants. No offense but I soon found out that most companies here in the UK are reluctant to emply foreign expertise because they do not want to spend money or the hassle in obtaining a work permit for me.
I hope someone can advise me regarding this matter.

Cheers
Ryan
Work permits in the UK are tied to a specific job and employer. So, you need to get a job offer first and the employer will take on the responsiblity of obtaining the work permit.

What you want to do is simply not possible.

Please check the UK Home Office website. It will explain things clearer.

You are spot on about why British employers are reluctant to employ you. Why would they employ a non-British national with identical or near identical skills and experience as a British person?

As well as the costs of obtaining the work permit, it's likely that the employer would also offer a relocation package too.

Taking account of the economic climate in the UK (I haven't lived there in just over a yr but I think I'm correct), you're not in a strong position to get a job in the UK.

Also, you didn't mention what level you're graduating in (Bacherlors, Masters, higher?) and the subject you will graduate in. If yours is a subject that is in high demand or there is a shortage of graduates in the area, then your chances would be higher.

Perhaps you should get several years professional experience "under your belt" then apply as a good candidate for an overseas assignment in the UK.

NC Penguin