Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Obtaining a visa to teach in Miami Dade County

Obtaining a visa to teach in Miami Dade County

Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining a visa to teach in Miami Dade County

Originally Posted by Hotscot
But do International Schools sponsor people?
And then does someone have to pay them back?
Well I have come across people on here who have got in that way, how practical it is in a specific geographic area and with presumably limited time I would question.

Pay them back for what?
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

But do International Schools sponsor people?
And then does someone have to pay them back?
Yes, there is one in Charlotte, NC, and all teachers are hired directly in the UK, but competition is fierce, so you have to be the crème de la crème. And I believe that particular school group only has six locations in the entire US. … I'm not sure what you mean by the "pay them back" question though. ….. The teacher pay the school? - no, that wouldn't be legal.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

If they sponsored an applicant how do they get an ROI?
What's their business model?
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

The same as any sponsoring employer. It's part of their cost of doing business.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Teach children in exchange for USD. …. Still not sure where you're questions are coming from, or going.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Ok...read up on them. I get it now.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 10:31 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Look...really...good luck.
I know it's a big step but if you want to be with your partner and he really wants to be with you.
Get married. It's cards on the table time. No other options.
The potential is amazing and at the end of the day it's not a ball and chain.
Please let us know how you get on. Add to the body of knowledge.

(If you need to chat privately just send a message privately. I know your situation.)
I concur. Marriage always seemed such a major step. Now that I is, it's great!
Old Feb 28th 2019, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I concur. Marriage always seemed such a major step. ...
I agree - to the extent that I always thought it would be a difficult decision, but it really wasn't … but only to the right person. If it is a difficult step to take, then it probably isn't the right person!
Old Mar 10th 2019, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

In the meantime, you really need to send your UK qualifications to be evaluated. I used World Education Services (WES) for this. I have a degree from a Scottish university and a PGDE also from a Scottish university. My BA is the equivalent of a US degree and my PGDE equates to one year of grad study - even though I have been teaching for 12 years. You will need to have sealed transcripts sent straight from your university to whichever organisation you choose to evalutate them. There is a list on the Florida State Department of Education website that will tell you which organisations are approved. WES is one of them.

I know you can’t do anything about teaching there right now but I arrived in Florida in July of 2018 (my wife is a US citizen), applied to the Florida Education Department for a teaching license in September 2018 and my application has still not been processed. Luckily, I was subbing in a school who wanted to hire me and they contacted them. I have been hired until the end of the teaching year, and advised that I need to pass the certification exams for my subject if I want to be hired again in August.

The good thing is though, if you do manage to get to Miami on a visa, you can sit the certifications any time you want. Once you pass the exam, you will receive a ‘statement of eligibility’ to teach in Florida and you can be hired by any public school while your application is in progress. Without having the certification, it will be virtually impossible to secure an interview. I got lucky because the school I was subbing in could not fill the position I now have so they hired me as a professional guest teacher before officially hiring me ($160 a day instead of the $75 for being an ordinary sub but without any benefits). I asked them why I never get invited to interview and they told me if an application doesn’t show a statement of eligibility, they can’t interview the applicant.

Best of luck.