Oath Dilemma

Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oath Dilemma

So...I had my naturalization interview April 4th, at the Washington DC Field Office. I was told by the IO that I had been recommended for approval, and that I would be scheduled for next oath ceremony which was April 17, "you'll get a letter in the mail confirming the date." April 17, came and went, no letter, and no change in status on the USCIS website. The next oath ceremony is scheduled on May 12. At this point it doesn't look like I will be scheduled for that ceremony either. The next one after that is June 19th.

I have the summer off, and I really don't want to sit around here all summer waiting for the oath ceremony. I need/want to go and spend some time with my elderly parents, especially my dad who is isn't doing so well.

Is there a way to put this all on hold until I come back in August?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath Dilemma

What did you find out on your INFOPASS appointment? You don't say.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
What did you find out on your INFOPASS appointment? You don't say.
I did not make an INfOPASS appt...DC Office is 5 hr drive each way. I did call the customer service # who said that they would see if I could qualify as an expedited case based on my dads illness. This was their response two days later.

USCIS <[email protected]>

Apr 28 (2 days ago)

to me
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
2675 Prosperity Avenue
MS 2420
Fairfax,VA 20598-2420

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Monday, April 28, 2014

Dear

On 04/25/2014 you, or the designated representative shown below, contacted us about your case. Some of the key information given to us at that time was the following:

Caller indicated they are:
-- Applicant or Petitioner

Attorney Name:
-- Information not available

Case type:
-- N400

Filing date:
-- 12/15/2013

Receipt #:

Referral ID:

Beneficiary (if you filed for someone else):
-- Information not available

Your USCIS Account Number (A-number):

Type of service requested:
-- Expedite

The status of this service request is:

On April 25, 2014, you or your representative contacted USCIS concerning your N-400 to notify us that you believe your case is outside of our normal processing time. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

Congratulations! Your application was recommended for approval on April 4, 2014. At this time, it appears that you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for your oath ceremony. Please note, judicial ceremonies add additional processing time due to court scheduling.

What You Can Do
Please see the "Online Services" below to check the status of your case in the near future. We apologize for the delay.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

No the info was not helpful!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Is there a way to put this all on hold until I come back in August?
Yes - well, sort of. When you get the notice for your Oath Ceremony, you respond asking them to reschedule. The problem with rescheduling, of course, is that the notice might not make it to the person who needs that information. If you fail to show up at your Oath Ceremony, your case file might be summarily closed.

Note that if you get notice for your Oath Ceremony and you become a USC, you must then apply for a US passport for travel - because you must, under US law, enter the US with a US passport if you are a USC. You can leave the US on your foreign passport (although you're not supposed to, but since there's no immigration exit control in the US, no one will bother you about it) but someone will need to courier your new US passport to you before you return. Once you're a USC, don't leave the US without a solid plan for returning.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 30th 2014 at 8:14 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

I think the five hour drive maybe worth it! Why not take a nice drive you can have more reliable information with a face to face.

KCK
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

I booked a flight home today, and will leave next week. I need to see my dad soon. I have someone keeping an eye out for the oath letter for me, just in case it arrives when I am away.

Thanks for the suggestions!