Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

OAP in Uk , Visa for long stay in USA

OAP in Uk , Visa for long stay in USA

Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

patemaan will become famous soon enough
Default OAP in Uk , Visa for long stay in USA

Hello all,

I am in a pickle, My father passed away last year and now my elder mum, 80 yrs of age, is on her own. She has no one to look after her and I, her son is in the USA. My mums illiterate, cannot read / write English. How can I bring her to USA to live with me on a long term basis? I am a GC holder. I am very worried about her... not sure what to do... please help
Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OAP in Uk , Visa for long stay in USA

you cannot

only citizens can file for parents

A permanent resident of the United States can file a petition for the
following relatives:
• Husband or wife; and
• Unmarried child(ren), regardless of age.
Note: Only U.S. citizens may petition for married children
and no others
Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

B2 for 6 month visits....but medical insurance will be mental expensive.

Other option, give up the greencard.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:57 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Get US citizenship for yourself, so you have the option to return to UK to look after her, and return to US later.

That's my Masterplan for my old Dad.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patemaan
How can I bring her to USA to live with me on a long term basis?
At the moment, there is no way.

I am a GC holder.
How long have you been a GC holder, and how did you obtain your GC?

I am very worried about her... not sure what to do... please help
My ideas:

1. Depending on how you obtained your GC, you could possibly apply for a re-entry permit now, which gives you permission to stay outside the USA for up to 2 years, while also maintaining your ties to the USA so as not to abandon your US PR status. That might buy you some time over the next couple of year with your mom back home. That will also lengthen the time it takes for you to become a USC.

2. Again, depending in how you obtained your GC, simply move back to the UK to be with your mom in her old age, and re-apply for an Immigrant Visa if you are married to a USC or have USC children age 21+.

3. Abandon your GC and move back home permanently.

4. Become a USC at your first opportunity and then file an I-130 towards your mom's immigrant visa. This could take a while, depending how close you are to becoming a USC. Also her insurance in the USA will be very expensive.

5. Have her come visit you for 6 months out of the year on a B-2 visa. It's not a permanent solution, but perhaps she can do that while you're waiting to become a USC.

Rene
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
B2 for 6 month visits....but medical insurance will be mental expensive.

Other option, give up the greencard.
I don't think an 82 yr old will get healthcare/travel insurance for 6 months for the US. That may depend on what country the OP's mother is a resident of.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My mums illiterate, cannot read / write English.
To clarify, if she can't read/write English but can read/write some other language, she's not illiterate.

How can I bring her to USA to live with me on a long term basis?
Does she even want to live in the US? My (almost) 85-year old mom sure doesn't want to. She's quite adamant about not leaving the home she's known for the past 50+ years... and she's been on her own now for almost 8 years.

I am a GC holder.
Until you are a US citizen, there's nothing you can do to get her to the US. Health care insurance should be a major consideration, and for an elderly person without health insurance - a single hospitalization could, quite literally, bankrupt you both.

Ian
Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That may depend on what country the OP's mother is a resident of.
She's in the UK... as per the title of the thread!

Ian
Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She's in the UK... as per the title of the thread!

Ian

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

OP appears to have only had a GC since late 2011 so has another couple years before can apply for citizenship. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...46#post9691546
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to guess he/his mother are Indian.

Are there no other family members, when my Mum was that age the travel insurance for a few weeks was the same as flight cost.

Does she have a British passport.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

patemaan will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I came here on a H1 Visa, mum also has a British passport.
the B2 sounds good... I should get my citizenship next yr
Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I came here on a H1 Visa, mum also has a British passport.
the B2 sounds good... I should get my citizenship next yr
Do you mean citizenship, or permanent residency? In your 2011 thread, you didn't appear to be a LPR yet (green card), so there's no way you'd be eligible for citizenship next year.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So what are you going to do when she gets sick?
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been able to figure out what "OAP" means in the thread title....unless maybe it means "Old Age Person"??

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.